Menu

Accepting financial aid before accepting admissions?

Ann.without.an.e

We received an email from Emory asking dd to accept her aid package.  They said we could do this now and don't need to wait until she commits to go there.  She is in the running for a merit scholarship that will be from an outside source and we would really like to see if she gets this before we have a loan calculated in her package.  We are hopeful the extra aid will keep her loan free.  Is there a reason we need to do this now or can we wait?  It doesn't have a deadline on it, yet the email made it seem like they wanted it earlier rather than later.

Thanks 

Edited by Attolia

Have you gone to their portal to see how accepting is set up? My dd had two scholarships from the college and she accepted each one separately; she did not accept a package deal. So I would imagine that merit aid, grant aid, and loans are all listed separately. 

Do you know how outside scholarships affect aid at Emory? At some schools, all an outside scholarship will do is lower your grant aid. 

No matter what, you do not have to take out a loan just because it's offered. 

• Like 1

Have you gone to their portal to see how accepting is set up? My dd had two scholarships from the college and she accepted each one separately; she did not accept a package deal. So I would imagine that merit aid, grant aid, and loans are all listed separately. 

Do you know how outside scholarships affect aid at Emory? At some schools, all an outside scholarship will do is lower your grant aid. 

No matter what, you do not have to take out a loan just because it's offered. 

It is separate and they already have checked "accepted" for her merit aid and grant.  There is the option for a loan and work study in addition to the other aid.  If she gets the outside aid, we will want a loan calculated in her package because then the outside money can be used to cover her loan.  Emory will use outside money for loan/work study first and then grant money.  Then dd does not have a loan because it is covered by the outside merit aid.  Am I thinking correctly? I am just not sure how much loan she should take but she should take the 5,500 if she has the outside aid because the loan will be reduced by the outside aid.  I think?  or is my brain too tired to think this through right now?

If I understand what Janet was saying in the other thread, if your Dd has scholarship $$ replacing her loans, she will not be able to take out those loans. When federal aid is involved (which loans are), students cannot receive aid beyond their EFC. If the scholarship replaces her loans, her need has been met and therefore loans would take her beyond need.

Hopefully Janet will jump in here and clarify. I might be completely wrong in my interpretation of what she shared in that thread.