Menu

Dave Ramsey Personal Finance opinions/facts?

Dave Ramsey's course is on sale for 1/2 price until 3/27 through homeschool buyers coop.  Has anyone used this?

I am considering putting it away for my student's senior year. Is this a full school year?

We use BJ Press math right now and do not plan to go past Alg 2 in higher level math.

How does DR Personal Finance course compare to a consumer math or is it the same thing?

• Like 1

It's closer to a semester. My kids are about halfway though, and there hasn't been any math, other than making a budget. I don't think math is the focus. It's more preaching of 

Dave Ramsey's opinions. 

I agree. There was a whole session on why you don't need a FICO score!

We used it. It is a semester, not a year. There is very little math, although there is budgeting, figuring interest, etc. The strength of the program isn't really the videos (which are very similar to Dave's adult financial peace course), but is all the activities on the CD. There are enough for one a day for a semester and many of them are worthwhile (although we didn't use them all). 

My kids got quite a bit out of it, but we do mostly follow Dave's principals around here and avoid debt. One credit card is enough to keep our FICO score in great shape, although we hope to never need it again. My kids learned about budgeting, saving, investing, insurance, and yes, even the power of cash. There is wasted time in this course on paying off debt which obviously doesn't apply to most high school students, but if you like Dave, you'll like the course overall. 

• Like 2

Wow. Thanks for the thoughts. I assumed it was math. This is interesting.

Desiree 77, how are you naming the course on a transcript?

Probably "personal finance" or "personal finance economics". My high schoolers are concurrently taking a math course; one is in algebra 2 and one is in geometry.

My oldest took the class. I counted it as a one semester Personal Finance course. I liked that it talked about things like an emergency fund and staying out of debt. College students often get into lots of debt so I thought this was valuable for her. She's been doing a good job of applying the principles. She enjoyed the class and felt she learned a lot from it.

• Like 1