Menu

Found a house we love... but should we do it??? - update #83

PrincessMommy

I need some help walking though this. 

I've never been happy at our current house.  From the very beginning I knew it was a mistake.  Now that our youngest is settled at high school we have been looking to move.  We're looking at neighborhoods right off a major highway that we use everyday to get our son to school and for me to pick up the grandkids.   We've been looking to get close to son's school and to be closer to all our children who have moved along the 95 corridor near Baltimore.  But, we still want to be close enough to my dh's work and it would be nice to stay reasonably close to our parish.

We also wanted to downsize.  I wanted a rancher or a split-level with the thought of the future (dh is 61).  I don't care about bedroom sizes but we definitely wanted a house with a large kitchen/dining area...large common areas so when our kids come home there's room for us to gather.

I was hoping to find an older house  the 2000-2300 sq ft range that may need some reno to make the kitchen/dining area more open.  We also wanted to keep the price at about 200K less than our current home.  That way we'd have cash to fix the house up.  

The things that were important/must haves:

large dining/kitchen/common area - or potential to make it that way

flat yard - .50acres or less than an acre - less is better - flat is most important

no HOA

rancher or master bedroom on the main floor.

close to the major highway.

Less than 30min to dh's work.

Close to ds's school

cheaper property taxes

Things I kind of wanted/nice to have 

I wanted a place to put in a simple pre-fab, outdoor sauna . (i know, my kids laugh at me, it's a long story).

a place to build a cool one-of-a-kind play area for our grandkids.

A place that is unique.

not forced air heat (I'm tired of being cold all winter)

So, today we looked at houses with our realtor.  I found the most wonderful house.  From the outside its a traditional cape cod with an addition to the side.  The main house is from the 60s.  Not sure when the addition was added. The addition is where they've put the kichen/dining area.  There's a natural gas fireplace in the kitchen.  There's a 2nd set of stairs to the upstairs in the kitchen with bookshelf nooks built into the stairs (swoon).  It is SO cool.  The cabinets are old and have been painted.  Instead they've got 3 pantries.  Otherwise the kitchen reno looks pretty new.  Nice new dishwasher and gas stove.   They also have a screened in porch.  The yard is flat and big (an acre).  Actually, they have an old basketball court in the backyard. LOL.  There's a detached garage with a bathroom in it. It is very run-down and would need work, but the the barebones are there.   It has a giant deck with an old climbing tree coming out of the middle of the deck.  I noticed this little room on the side of the screened in porch and ---- it was an unused sauna!!  I almost died of laughter.  Who has that???!!!

I could grow old in this house.  I can see my grandkids coming to this house.  It is closer to all our children.  It has a large warm kitchen/dining area.

But......

It's on the far end of being a reasonable distance from dh's work and our parish (22 min to work, 27 to church).  It's a bigger house than we were looking for and not a rancher.  It is a two-story house but they have put in a bedroom and a full bath on the main floor.  I would currently use that room for my weaving and as a guest room.   There are 3 bedrooms and a master bedroom suite which is bigger than we need.  That makes 5 bedrooms total.  The basement is unfinished.  We'd probably just put our ping-pong table down there.  It seems smaller than our current home because of the configuration and the fact that the basement is unfinished (we currently have a massive finished basement) but it says its only about 200 sq feet smaller.

The price only about 120-130K less than our current house.  It has a few areas that would need upgrading, but it's basically move-in ready.  The kitchen redo was probably done in the last 5-8yrs.  The wood floors upstairs are original and in bad shape.  They would either need to be re-finished or covered.  The master bathroom is weird.  It's got a massive, massive tub.  3-4people could sit in it, but it's not very deep.  No jets.  The shower is in the tub and not separate.  It's weird... but we could live with it for the time being before changing things.  All the other bathrooms seem to have been recently redone.  They're small but fine for our needs.    The french doors to both the deck and the porch are in need of replacement or repair.  The roof is 16yrs old.  Furnace is less than 10yrs old (yay). 

It's so hard to know which compromises are best to take.  My last experience has made me a bit gun shy.  I was the one pushing us to move. I found this house and we put a contract on it... but then realized so quickly that it was a mistake.  I don't want a repeat.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 1

I understand the dissatisfaction with a house.

given commute time - though does he plan on retiring at 65?, distance to church, not a ranch, money . . I probably wouldn't.

I live in an area where prices are skyrocketing at an insane pace.

• Like 2

Sorry if my other post sounded so discouraging, but when I read your post, I kept thinking that you're enamored with all of the cute little quirky features of the house like the extra stairs with the bookshelf nooks, but you know that the house doesn't really fit your requirements. I feel like the quirky features and the layout that makes it seem smaller than your current house will get very old very quickly and you'll end up with a fixer-upper you may wish you'd never bought.

Obviously, it's your decision but I'm worried that you've been captured by the charm, but once reality sets in, that charm may not be enough.

• Like 3

I'm seeing more negatives than positives in your post.

Too many weird features, like the sauna you won't use and the massive tub/shower combo. Floors need to be re-done.

It's a big list.

I would keep looking.

No, I would definitely use the sauna.  I was so pleasantly surprised they had one.  Now, the unknown is if it is in working order.

Yes, the massive tub/shower is weird.  One day we'd have to change it, but it could wait a few years.  But what I had been looking at was houses with tiny bathrooms that needed massive gutting.  What this house has is a large bathroom with a weird tub/shower configuration. 

The original thought was that we'd buy a house that needed renovations on the order of tearing out walls and totally gutting and re-doing kitchens and bathrooms.   One house I looked at I was thinking of converting the covered driveway into the kitchen/dining area.   This house already did that. 

• Like 2

Too Big

Too Far

Too Expensive

I wouldn't do this one unless the type of house you wanted was extremely rare in your area.

Ranchers are hard to find.  Most houses in this area are colonials.   Neighborhoods without an HOA are nearly impossible unless you go to the neighborhoods built before the 80s.  Finding the house we want WITH a flat yard --  really, really hard. 

Since we're looking in a very small radius, it makes it even harder.   There is a neighborhood that is the perfect distance, has several ranchers, and no HOA .  There's a house there that is currently on sale that needs major work.   It's still stuck in the 70s.  A tiny kitchen and postage stamp for a dining room.  All the bathrooms need have major work.  It's for sale by owner and been on the market for 4yrs.   My realtor says its because it's over priced by 50K and the owner won't budge.  I was completely willing to do the work needed because I could see that house's potential, but the price needed to work too because of all the updating.  We sent out 150 letters to all the houses in the neighborhood saying we were interested in buying a rancher there.  We got one call - it was for a cape cod.    

So that's what I mean by compromise.  Its so hard to know which are the right ones to make.  I could hold out for this neighborhood that is in the perfect area.  If I knew for sure that a house we'd be interested in would come up in the next 6 months I would definitely hold out.  It's such a gamble. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

As it turns out one of the earlier houses we saw has lowered it's price overnight.  Its the for sale by owner that i talked about that needs major reno.  She only lowered it by 10K, which my realtor insists isn't enough.   A colonial house in the neighborhood, and in similar condition, went for 40K less. It was bought by a house flipper.  Anyway, it's a good baseline for us to compare.   Cheap house with a major reno.  It's a good size (maybe a bit too small right now), perfectly located, yard is perfect size and flat. And, no HOA.  But, it's a major reno we'd have to undertake to get where we want.  Of course, it's all contingent on her selling it at an appropriate price, which my realtor and husband both say she's not going to do.  

Of course, we could wait and see what else comes up.  There's no big hurry to move ASAP.  It would be nice to do it before the fall though. 

Adding--All the 'extras' that are already finished make this sound ideal.

In general, I'm a big fan of having more space than you think you need.

I don't see a problem with stairs as long as there is a good ground floor bedroom, so you're all set there.

The only real drawback for me would be the commute to church.  15-20 minutes is about my limit, beyond which I am not sure that I would participate beyond Sunday worship as much as I ideally would want to.  YMMV.

• Like 2

Adding--All the 'extras' that are already finished make this sound ideal.

In general, I'm a big fan of having more space than you think you need.

I don't see a problem with stairs as long as there is a good ground floor bedroom, so you're all set there.

The only real drawback for me would be the commute to church.  15-20 minutes is about my limit, beyond which I am not sure that I would participate beyond Sunday worship as much as I ideally would want to.  YMMV.

Yes, this is me too.  And that's my concern.  This is why it's so hard to know where the best compromises lie.  Currently we're in a house that I like okay, but don't love, and  I hate the neighborhood.  However, we're less than 20min from dh's work and our parish so that is perfect.   I'm so unhappy here though.

• Like 1

Sooooooo.... you've had the night to think it over. Which way are you leaning this morning?

Not that I'm nosy or pushy or anything because that would be wrong. ;)

We're planning to go back this afternoon and take 3 of our kids plus the grandkids (because I'm watching them today).  One child is good at...er... looking at the downside :laugh:   She'll be my reality check.    I want extra eyes looking critically at the house and location.

It turns out we know someone from our parish that lives in the neighborhood. I put a call into her last night but haven't heard back yet. 

I still think the house is great for our needs.  Yes, I wish it was a bit smaller and closer, but I'm not sure that's enough to walk away.  We will be closer to all our grown kids with this house. 

• Like 7

I think it sounds like a pretty cool house. Not exactly what you envisioned, but then parts of it sound pretty darn close.

Then again, you said you put a contract on it and thought it was a mistake? Unless you are the kind of person who has to work through anxiety with every big life change, and sort of come around to it, I think you may want to pay attention to your gut feeling.

If it were me, though, in your shoes: Team Yes. Even with the quirky bits.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

I'm seeing more negatives than positives in your post.

Too many weird features, like the sauna you won't use and the massive tub/shower combo. Floors need to be re-done.

It's a big list.

I would keep looking.

I read it that she wanted the sauna and would have had one built if it wasn't there?

Never mind - this has already been straightened out.

Sounds like the only negative is the tub design. This can be changed fairly easily, especially since you were all set to renovate on a larger scale.

30 min to work is something dh and I can only dream of as yet but again, this is a preference issue and if you are used to a fast commute, it's something to think about. How long will your dh be working there? Will he retire soon or not? This could figure into the equation.

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 2

I think it sounds really neat.  I wouldn't let the weird tub/shower get in the way;  you could always get to that eventually.  (In the meantime, hot-tub for the grandkids!  :))  If your dh is retiring in a few years, maybe he could put up with the commute?  Or is it possible for his schedule to change to four longer days instead of a typical five-day week?  I think for me, the biggest question would be church and your involvement there.  We live in a small town miles from a lot of options.  We have several friends who commute 40 miles every Sunday to church, but have chosen to not be involved in mid-week activities.  And on snowy days, they don't go at all.  Most Sundays they do go though, and then they spend all afternoon in that town too -- either hanging out with church friends or maybe just the family having a nice lunch out together somewhere in the area.  They make it work, even though it isn't ideal.

But if your church is like a second family and you go there more than just once/week, that drive might feel old after awhile.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 1

When does your DH plan to retire? I think a handful of years with a 20 minute commute is worth it for a forever home. Most people at our church (only English-speaking Orthodox one in the area) commute at least 27 minutes. Including our priest, which I know because he lives near us! I think it's do-able for a once or twice a week drive.

It sounds like it has lots of great space for the adult kids to come back to, and the only major drawback is a funky tub and some flooring. But at least you won't have to do major reno work on the rest of it. I'm on team yes!

• Like 1

In our previous house we were 35 min away.  Then we moved to a house that was closer to church.  That has been nice as we are involved at our parish.  Have something be just under 30min isn't horrible, but we've liked the ease of zipping to church.  We have to be realistic.   Lavender is right. Most people at our parish travel 45+ to get to church...some take over an hour (one is our parish Administrator!). 

Dh would like to work another 8-10 yrs but he's in high tech.  Not sure he'll be able to last in the field once he's over 70.  He's actually fine with the commute to work.  He does it 2x a week already because he takes our son to school and then drives to work.  I'm a little more uptight about it.

I'll share some photos when I get back. 

Edited by PrincessMommy

Does the location mean that the house your looking at is even closer to your son's school and your grown children than you had been hoping for?  Is there a church closer to the house that you might consider joining?  How does your husband feel about the house?

Ranchers are hard to find. Most houses in this area are colonials. Neighborhoods without an HOA are nearly impossible unless you go to the neighborhoods built before the 80s. Finding the house we want WITH a flat yard -- really, really hard.

Since we're looking in a very small radius, it makes it even harder. There is a neighborhood that is the perfect distance, has several ranchers, and no HOA . There's a house there that is currently on sale that needs major work. It's still stuck in the 70s. A tiny kitchen and postage stamp for a dining room. All the bathrooms need have major work. It's for sale by owner and been on the market for 4yrs. My realtor says its because it's over priced by 50K and the owner won't budge. I was completely willing to do the work needed because I could see that house's potential, but the price needed to work too because of all the updating. We sent out 150 letters to all the houses in the neighborhood saying we were interested in buying a rancher there. We got one call - it was for a cape cod.

So that's what I mean by compromise. Its so hard to know which are the right ones to make. I could hold out for this neighborhood that is in the perfect area. If I knew for sure that a house we'd be interested in would come up in the next 6 months I would definitely hold out. It's such a gamble.

Because I have an idea of where you're looking, this house sounds pretty good to me. There's not a ton of inventory. I have seen mainly two scenarios: massive nice home with many updates that is priced way up there, OR old house with no updates and not good potential for modernizing. When I start looking at houses, I see that the large majority of houses with a big kitchen and dining area (which I must have) also have four+bedrooms and often massive Master suites that I actually don't care about. (Comfortably spacious master - yes. Acres of open floor space - no.) So this is one thing that, other than building to specifications, is hard to match up.

I'm still open to the idea of buying my MIL's house, even though it is still bigger than I will need and has a lot of bedrooms. But the kitchen and living areas are sized well.

• Like 1

Does the location mean that the house your looking at is even closer to your son's school and your grown children than you had been hoping for?  Is there a church closer to the house that you might consider joining?  How does your husband feel about the house?

Yes, this exactly.  We will be closer to the kids and youngest school but a bit further from church/work.

As a matter of fact, it will also put us closer to a couple of parishes.  One in fact will only be a few blocks away and is attended by one of our boardies.  So, there's that option if I choose to leave my parish.  I'm really trying to avoid that since we've put down roots there and have many friends.  But, things happen sometimes and who knows what the future will bring on that front.  It's certainly an option when the weather is bad.

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

I'm going to test to see if I can post a photo.   It's of the back stairs off the kitchen/great room and they go up to the Master bedroom.  Cute grandson included in photo ;)

33536745632_4b0fa711f5.jpg

If it works I'll add more.  Don't want it ginormous. 

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 8

Honestly looking at the pictures and seeing all the people there and the playground area out back, it seems like the perfect house.  Yes it may be bigger than you need but think how easy it will be for your older kids to visit, all that space inside and out for the grandbabies to play etc.  You've got the space so family will be comfortable there.  The things you dislike in the house all seem fixable.

• Like 8

It looks great to me, especially that backyard!  

I didn't get a sense from your posts of *why* you're unhappy in your current house except that you don't like the neighborhood.  Do you have a sense of what happened with your current house that you were excited about it at first and then grew to dislike it?  

• Like 1