Menu

Christian Homeschoolers and Science

fairfarmhand

Am I interpreting correctly that you are asking these questions only of creationist Christians? (I'm an evolutionist Christian, if that's a term. Anyway, I was raised creationist but I now accept evolution, find it quite fascinating in fact, have a degree in zoology, and have actively taught evolution in my homeschool. I'm happy to answer any questions, just didn't want to butt in if I'm not your intended demographic.)

Well I butted in, and I am an old earth theistic evolutionary if that is a good label, LOL. I was raised literal six day as well. I figure, go ahead, butt in, the more the merrier! :D

• Like 5

Who is down-voting a long-time member asking politely worded, honest questions? 

I don't get it.

Simply disregard. This whole voting thing is unnecessary anyways. Some people get their jollies in weird ways. However, a while back this question popped up here and people on cell phones or ipads / tablets said they sometimes do it involuntarily while they think they are tapping another button on their screen.

• Like 3

Simply disregard. This whole voting thing is unnecessary anyways. Some people get their jollies in weird ways. However, a while back this question popped up here and people on cell phones or ipads / tablets said they sometimes do it involuntarily while they think they are tapping another button on their screen.

I know...but it always seems to happen on threads like this. Maybe I just don't notice it other times?

What I see here are parents who are nervous about science sending their kids to co-op and tutorial programs that use materials that either actively teach from a specific viewpoint or avoid anything that could possibly be offensive. In turn, families who want secular science do it at home or send their kids to PS or do science DE once kids can pass the math placement to get into intro science courses for non-majors. As a result, the religion neutral or actively religious science programs are kind of the expected path for homeschoolers because they're the visible ones, even though there are probably as many NOT doing it that way. When DD goes to herpetology conferences, there tend to be a lot of people who are surprised that she's a homeschooled kid who is aiming for EEB/EECB programs (Ecology and Evolutionary Bio/Ecology, Evolutionary and Conservation Biology) because, after all Evolutionary Biology is in the title!

• Like 2

It happens on lots of threads, which all share the quality of being 'hot' topics. It's certainly not confined to Christian threads. There is a definite pattern, which is why I don't buy the 'fat thumbs' explanation.

It's ridiculous, and I have no idea why threads even have to have a rating. 

Yes, sorry I wasn't clear. I didn't mean just Christian threads, but "controversial" ones in general. I just clicked on the first ten threads on the Chat board, and none have a rating except this one.

I agree with you. I don't see the need for ratings at all.

• Like 4

What I see here are parents who are nervous about science sending their kids to co-op and tutorial programs that use materials that either actively teach from a specific viewpoint or avoid anything that could possibly be offensive. In turn, families who want secular science do it at home or send their kids to PS or do science DE once kids can pass the math placement to get into intro science courses for non-majors. As a result, the religion neutral or actively religious science programs are kind of the expected path for homeschoolers because they're the visible ones, even though there are probably as many NOT doing it that way. When DD goes to herpetology conferences, there tend to be a lot of people who are surprised that she's a homeschooled kid who is aiming for EEB/EECB programs (Ecology and Evolutionary Bio/Ecology, Evolutionary and Conservation Biology) because, after all Evolutionary Biology is in the title!

Very true. Ds's advisor was flabbergasted when he finally divulged he had been homeschooled. He is a freshwater science and sustainability major at WMU. I suspect that other homeschooled students may have gone through the environmental science department but likely stayed under the radar which was his original plan.

We are old earth people and we have had more issues with texts and homeschoolers and others with our old earth position than with our beliefs in evolution/intelligent design.  We didn't focus on evolution in biology.  We didn't focus on intelligent design either.  There was so much to learn in biology and with limited time, we chose to focus on other topics.  Did my kids know about evolutionary theory?  Yes.  Did they know that we questioned many aspects of evolutionary theory due to our skepticism about certain assertions?  Yes.  But it had nothing to do with Biblical story of creation and six days.  For whatever reasons, I can't really remember what we used in Biology but do know we did many labs.  I more clearly remember chemistry and physics and geology that they did.  But we did use high-quality material regardless if Christian or not.  WE had both Christian and secular material books and texts.  I believe that the youngest used a secular program.  I think the others may have too but it wasn't a regular text.  I believe we used nontexts for Biology along with a well developed lab manual.

I tended not to get into discussions about old earth/young earth though I remember one person who did learn that we were old earth and she was absolutely shocked.  I told her that she did know my husband was a physicist and they tend to believe old earth (though I did meet a young earth scientist when we were at a United Methodist church and he did have a job as a scientist- not a biologist but a physical scientist.

Just because we were in the USAF and it is a more technical and scientific service, we tended to be stationed in areas where there were more scientists and engineers.  So while there were some who were YE, there were always others who weren't.  My only issue came up when my youngest took a science class where the teacher stated that not being YE was not being a Christian.  That I did have an issue with.   My kids have had no problems in science classes in college.  Youngest has a physics minor and oldest is going to be getting an earth science degree- probably GIS.   

We are old earth people and we have had more issues with texts and homeschoolers and others with our old earth position than with our beliefs in evolution/intelligent design.  We didn't focus on evolution in biology.  We didn't focus on intelligent design either.  There was so much to learn in biology and with limited time, we chose to focus on other topics.  Did my kids know about evolutionary theory?  Yes.  Did they know that we questioned many aspects of evolutionary theory due to our skepticism about certain assertions?  Yes.  But it had nothing to do with Biblical story of creation and six days.  For whatever reasons, I can't really remember what we used in Biology but do know we did many labs.  I more clearly remember chemistry and physics and geology that they did.  But we did use high-quality material regardless if Christian or not.  WE had both Christian and secular material books and texts.  I believe that the youngest used a secular program.  I think the others may have too but it wasn't a regular text.  I believe we used nontexts for Biology along with a well developed lab manual.

I tended not to get into discussions about old earth/young earth though I remember one person who did learn that we were old earth and she was absolutely shocked.  I told her that she did know my husband was a physicist and they tend to believe old earth (though I did meet a young earth scientist when we were at a United Methodist church and he did have a job as a scientist- not a biologist but a physical scientist.

Just because we were in the USAF and it is a more technical and scientific service, we tended to be stationed in areas where there were more scientists and engineers.  So while there were some who were YE, there were always others who weren't.  My only issue came up when my youngest took a science class where the teacher stated that not being YE was not being a Christian.  That I did have an issue with.   My kids have had no problems in science classes in college.  Youngest has a physics minor and oldest is going to be getting an earth science degree- probably GIS.   

Thank you for this. This is the kind of feedback I was seeking.