Menu

Admissions, did your dc do "more" than asked for?

Ann.without.an.e

Just some rambling thoughts.  I would love to see what ya'll did. 

Right after dd submitted all of her applications, a friend told me that her ds did all sorts of extra stuff.  He attached a resume because he had too many things to fit on CA, he sent in extra teacher recs, and he uploaded a writing portfolio on to the website or sent it to the admissions office.  I'll admit, I panicked.  I was a little concerned that she should have added "more".

DD only filled out what was available on the Common App.  She didn't attach additional activities or awards that wouldn't fit.  She simply put her highest priority items on the CA and left off the other stuff.  She only requested 2 teacher recs.  That was it.  No more.  When I mentioned my friend to dd she said, "nope, I read it somewhere...the thicker the file, the thicker the child."

Did you guys add stuff?  So far, dd is in everywhere she has applied either with merit aid or she is in the running for a merit scholarship.  It obviously didn't hurt her at all.  I panicked for nothing.  Dd was right, as usual.

It made me wonder if it is common practice to do "more"?  

Edited by Attolia

University of CA application resources are very clear about not sending more stuff so we did not. For the one private university DS applied to, he submitted 3 letters of rec instead of only two.

Two reasons:

• 1 of the 3 letters was from an online instructor so we felt a back up from an in person writer could help.
  • The college did not restrict the number of letters of rec to 2.

DS was accepted at all 5 UCs that he applied to. DS was denied by the private university. 

• Like 3

Most of my kids only did exactly what was asked for.  With my youngest, I did send in an extra letter, from me -- as her parent/teacher, to a couple of the smaller private schools.  Her schooling in later years had blips in it because of extreme and unusual family circumstances.  I thought it would be better if the full explanation came from me.  

She was accepted into all of them.

• Like 3

My boys only submitted what was asked for.  

How did your son's friend fare in admissions?  His approach is likely to backfire as it looks like he can't follow directions or, worse yet, thinks that the directions don't apply to him.

You know, this was my thought too!  To think that you have too much to show to stick with the directions seems a little bold, right?  I would think that admissions couldn't even count the "extras" because other kids might have just as much but they did what they were supposed to do?

He is in at Notre Dame, NC State, and Chapel Hill.  He hasn't gotten any merit aid offers that I know of though.  I think his other decisions come out April 1.  His top choice was ND and they can write the check for full tuition so he didn't apply to too many schools. 

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 1

Other than what was asked for with the initial submission, dd sent an update of major awards, but that is it.

My dd updated new awards as well.  I was thinking in the initial submission, like sending a separate resume for all of those extracurriculars and awards that didn't fit initially.  Or sending in more teacher recs than they asked for?

My dd updated new awards as well. I was thinking in the initial submission, like sending a separate resume for all of those extracurriculars and awards that didn't fit initially. Or sending in more teacher recs than they asked for?

For some schools dd applied to, scholarships asked for a specific list of items that were beyond the CA. Some had an optional list. She did some of the optional items, but not all of them.

• Like 1

For some schools dd applied to, scholarships asked for a specific list of items that were beyond the CA. Some had an optional list. She did some of the optional items, but not all of them.

Yes, dd had this too.  She had to submit an entire writing portfolio for one scholarship she is in the running for (English department).  But this wasn't submitted to all schools with her common app or via email to admissions.  It was submitted just to the professor that requested it.

There were plenty of places to include everything on the Common App.  Some colleges had their own applications, and we didn't include extra on any.  One college only accepted one letter of recommendation and told us that they keep the first that arrives and throw away the rest.  Most were pretty insistent that we not send bunches of stuff.

The only "extra" I included was the supplemental transcript with course descriptions, book lists, and all.  He applied to quite a few, and I chose to make a complete supplemental that covered all of the requests.  I sent it to all of the colleges rather than tailoring it for each.  (I was nearly insane at that point in the application process anyway.)  I did have a one page transcript that covered the basics for colleges that didn't really want to read further.

• Like 1

We sent only what was asked for as well. We too had admins tell us that they didn't want extras. Everything gets uploaded into their software and if they ask for two recommendations, there are probably only two slots to upload those into. They have no place to put the extra stuff and don't want to have to look at it, figure out they don't need it and be forced to discard it. It is a waste of time for the admins and can't leave a positive impression.

Updates are different and are expected. 

• Like 2

Common App - only uploaded what was requested; no additional teacher recs or anything else. Admitted to first choice very selective school.

Other universities - I added my counselor letter and course descriptions that I had done for common app; I figured the course descriptions were really a part of my transcript, my counselor letter was bonus and they could simply ignore. We did not add anything else that was not asked for. Received good merit scholarships.

• Like 1

I don't consider course descriptions extra and upload them with the transcript. Nor do I consider a resume extra if they ask, "would you like to upload a resume?" Same with Zeemee. If the school asks, "Do you have a zeemee?" adding the link is not extra.

I consider extra attempting to submit things that they do not request or explicitly state they do not want. U Rochester asks for a letter from a peer. That is not extra. It is what they expect.

• Like 3

My oldest child did not send anything extra (and sometimes not even everything that was requested ;-) )

My last applicant did not send anything that was not requested, but did offer up any optional submissions suggested by the school. For example, the school might have only required two letters of rec, but allowed the submission of additional recommendations in various categories. A few schools allowed for an arts supplement, and those were submitted. A couple schools allowed for a resume. One school (the school she ultimately chose to attend) had an optional section for any additional information about the applicant (I can't recall exactly how it was worded), and she submitted a photo of herself participating in her rather unique hobby, in order to clarify the challenge of that activity.

To her, the additional submissions were a way of showing interest in the school by putting her all into the app, particularly since we weren't visiting until acceptances were received.

• Like 2

My children did more than asked for a few times, but each time he/she specifically asked the admissions office first and were told that it was okay.)

For example, a kid submitted a reading list to UVA. The website clearly states that no extras will be allowed in the application, but ds talked to an admissions person, explaining that he was homeschooled and that the reading list was a strong indicator of a lot of his personal interests (he ended up majoring in philosophy, among other fields). The admissions person said to please include it -- and he was treated very well in the admissions process.

A kid submitted a "portfolio" of sorts to an engineering school. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words when you have a kid who builds kayaks from scratch and designs and builds kites and has numerous other engineering hands-on interests that are hard to explain. We put together a 14-page picture booklet with a bit of first-person narrative by my son. Again, he asked the school before submitting it.

• Like 2

A kid submitted a "portfolio" of sorts to an engineering school. A picture is definitely worth a thousand words when you have a kid who builds kayaks from scratch and designs and builds kites and has numerous other engineering hands-on interests that are hard to explain. We put together a 14-page picture booklet with a bit of first-person narrative by my son. Again, he asked the school before submitting it.

Gwen, this is the type of info that is now easily included via Zeemee. Several of the schools Dd applied to via the Common App specifically asked if she had a Zeemee link she would like to include. The Coalition App encourages Zeemee. (It was through the Coalition App I learned about it. I ended up abandoning the Coalition App bc it had so many bugs this past August, its inaugural month. But for next yr's applicants, many people will not have an option for any other form of application bc it is the platform the schools will require. Incorporating a Zeemee via the Coalition App will also not be considered extra bc they ask if you want to submit a link.)

• Like 2

No real thoughts, I just wanted to say that this is cool  :thumbup1:   

Gwen, this is the type of info that is now easily included via Zeemee. Several of the schools Dd applied to via the Common App specifically asked if she had a Zeemee link she would like to include. The Coalition App encourages Zeemee. (It was through the Coalition App I learned about it. I ended up abandoning the Coalition App bc it had so many bugs this past August, its inaugural month. But for next yr's applicants, many people will not have an option for any other form of application bc it is the platform the schools will require. Incorporating a Zeemee via the Coalition App will also not be considered extra bc they ask if you want to submit a link.)

Ok, so admitting my ignorance here.  I am not into techy stuff and neither is dd, we have no idea what Zeemee is?

• Like 1

Ok, so admitting my ignorance here. I am not into techy stuff and neither is dd, we have no idea what Zeemee is?

https://www.zeemee.com It is a way to create an online portfolio. My Dd didn't create an intro video,etc. All she did was include things she had already done: a recitation in Russian (she had submitted the video to an international competition and had won a first place), a copy of a fairy tale she translated, copies of essays in foreign languages, pictures of awards, etc. Since foreign language was what she wanted to highlight in her application, it is what she included.

We know at least one school watched the video of her recitation bc when we went to meet the dept during interview weekend, the professor mentioned the video. Not sure how many others did since there is no way to track views (or at least we don't know how to track views ;). We are also not very techie.)

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 2

I noticed that most (not all) of the schools asking for art portfolios specifically require slideroom to be used.

Apparently there's a way to create different portfolios in slideroom for different schools and yet it can all be linked to the Common App.  (I don't quite understand this yet.)

MIT also suggests using slideroom for supplemental materials, including research, maker stuff, etc.  http://mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/supplements

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

DS sent nothing extra. He included a link to his youtube channel and an interview of him made by Vox. Don't think that counts, though!

Based on the descriptions of extras being used (anything beyond transcript, filled in activity list (no resume), and 1-2 LOR), I think some people would state they are extra. :) Me, I personally don't see the advantage of emphatically stating nothing extra. If a student has the opportunity to submit something additional that makes them shine, why not include it? If a school says, "Don't send extra materials," that is different than if a school says, "Is there anything extra you would like us to consider," Inpersonally think a student should include accomplishments, a YouTube channel and a Vox interview sound like they fit that descriptor.

Edited by 8FillTheHeart
  • Like 1

https://www.zeemee.com It is a way to create an online portfolio. My Dd didn't create an intro video,etc. All she did was include things she had already done: a recitation in Russian (she had submitted the video to an international competition and had won a first place), a copy of a fairy tale she translated, copies of essays in foreign languages, pictures of awards, etc. Since foreign language was what she wanted to highlight in her application, it is what she included.

We know at least one school watched the video of her recitation bc when we went to meet the dept during interview weekend, the professor mentioned the video. Not sure how many others did since there is no way to track views (or at least we don't know how to track views ;). We are also not very techie.)

This is so super cool, 8!  I would watch her video, for sure!

• Like 2

I noticed that most (not all) of the schools asking for art portfolios specifically require slideroom to be used.

Apparently there's a way to create different portfolios in slideroom for different schools and yet it can all be linked to the Common App. (I don't quite understand this yet.)

MIT also suggests using slideroom for supplemental materials, including research, maker stuff, etc. http://mitadmissions.org/apply/freshman/supplements

Yes, Slide Room is what most tippy top schools on the Common App request. Several others also include ZeeMee. I think ZeeMee has a Coalition App connection?? (Not sure) ZeeMee is new. I think Slide Room has been around for a while.

• Like 2

Currently my kiddo is undecided on majors but is likely to submit some form of portfolio (probably photography, maybe animation, etc) even if she is not applying to an art-related program because it's a big part of her personal story, quite literally her personal perspective.  Not all schools allow supplements, unfortunately, but for those that do, I figure it's worth a try if it's carefully-chosen and succinct.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 2

We did nothing "extra". The schools DD applied to wanted SO much stuff, oodles of essays, several mandatory SAT2 subject tests. 

When everything was filled out and submitted, that was an exhaustive portrait of her schooling.

I submitted course descriptions as a second transcript - in case you call that "extra".

After DD had been deferred from EA at her top choice, she submitted one additional LOR from a professor whose class she had taken fall semester of Sr year.

• Like 1

this is the type of info that is now easily included via Zeemee.

Thanks! I've never heard of it, but since I still work with high schoolers (not my own), it's good to know.

Ds's school is probably one of the last of its kind, but it still uses a paper application, so sending a hard-copy was definitely the best route to go. The school has a total student population under 100, so there is little incentive for it to go high-tech when one of the benefits of this school is the amount of one-on-one students receive! (And yes, it is an engineering school -- the top naval architecture program in the country!)

• Like 1

We've taken advantage of every opportunity offered to show the student to best advantage.  We have not submitted anything not requested or pre-approved.

One of my STEM applicants submitted a resume with the Common App.  We felt it was a good way to group all of the various activities and accomplishments and jobs into themes, as they were often inter-related and the resume, we felt, was a better way to tell the story.  It wasn't an "extra" per se; it was optional.

My arts applicant did three completely separate portfolios. One was presented in person - lugging a suitcase full of pieces, to be shown and discussed in an interview.  That one was the easiest, as the pieces didn't have to be as carefully whittled down, details could be seen close-up in-person, questions about the work could be answered in the interview, and the guidelines of what to present were broad enough that existing work largely filled the requirements.   The two others were submitted online; I think one used Slideroom and the other used their own online format.  Each of the three required specific items, to show specific types of work in different genres, formatted and presented in very specific ways.  At least two required pieces created specifically in response to the school's admissions project prompt; these were different enough from each other that no overlap was possible, meaning that a significant number of new pieces needed to be created for each app.

We also did a resume for at least one of the arts apps; I can't remember if the other two schools wanted/accepted one or not.  Again, the resume gave us the opportunity to group various activities and awards by topic/activity, and provide a few more details, which told a story of inter-related interests, experiences, and achievements (most specifically related to the student's desired major) over a period of time.  (Example - a particular topic might start with a small activity, then a summer camp/class, then a larger activity with leadership role, then an activity-related award.  This showed the student's development in the specific subject area.)

Having now done STEM (twice) and art/design once, I can say that art/design (if going for a top school) is by far a harder application process.

• Like 3

I think my dd went beyond with letters of recommendation and maybe what I submitted.

She had 4 letters for those who would accept them, one live-in person teacher, one online teacher, one employer, and one supervisor of her volunteer work. 

She did prioritize them depending on how many each school accepted.  She also completed the CA essay and any additional essays from the individual institution-even if the school said it was optional.

I submitted a counselor letter, a profile of our school, and a full set of course descriptions/main texts.

No extra portfolio, CV, or writing samples.

None of the schools seemed to have any problems with these submissions, from small LACs to large state universities.

Yes, Slide Room is what most tippy top schools on the Common App request. Several others also include ZeeMee. I think ZeeMee has a Coalition App connection?? (Not sure) ZeeMee is new. I think Slide Room has been around for a while.

Coalition App has its own locker system.

ZeeMee is marketed to Common App schools as their alternative.

Coalition App has its own locker system.

ZeeMee is marketed to Common App schools as their alternative.

You're right! I tried to find where I read about it and it must have been when I was trying to understand the difference between the Coalition App and the Common App. I just googled "Coalition App and ZeeMee" and there was a long list of articles that I had read.

It looks like the Common App started offering ZeeMee to compete with the Coalition App's offerings.

Do you think for those schools who give you an opportunity to submit things like a Slideroom portfolio or ZeeMee, that you really should do it?  Would it be a disadvantage to not do it, even though it's "optional"?

This was our big question - whether it was a disadvantage not to submit things that were optional.  In youngest's case, SAT2s were optional.  I could see, especially with homeschoolers, that perhaps choosing between the student with the SAT2s and the one without, the school might prefer to choose the one with.  My son called the school and asked.  The admissions people at his school were refreshingly honest and straight forward and told him not to take them for their sake.  So he didn't.  He did, however, submit some other extra stuff, stuff that showed off some of the unique things he had done in high school.  He called the admissions office to ask about them first and they said yes, please send them.  It is a small school, though.  He was careful not to send anything extra to the other schools where he applied.  I was interested to see that UMass Amherst was not averse to having homeschoolers send extra stuff.  It was low on the list (GED issue) so we didn't bother.  He got in anyway.  One university was funny.  They sent what they called a streamlined application because he had had his SAT scores sent to them.  Streamlined was right.  It was very very short and easy.  He didn't send any extra information to them, since the word streamlined seemed to imply that there was no need to send extras.  With the older two, we followed the directions carefully because their college was a follow-the-directions sort of place.  They also had an admissions office that was very straight forward and gave us answers without making us play guessing games.  Grantmom, maybe you could try asking?

Nan

Edited by Nan in Mass
  • Like 2

I mean, I sort of feel like the answer is going to be just what they say on the application, that it's optional.  Do it if you feel like it enhances your application, but don't do it just to do it.  Of course, it's hard not to wonder what the admissions folks really think, behind the scenes.

• Like 1

Do you think for those schools who give you an opportunity to submit things like a Slideroom portfolio or ZeeMee, that you really should do it? Would it be a disadvantage to not do it, even though it's "optional"?

I do t think they would be at a disadvantage. I would only use it if you have a student that wants to showcase something that is more demonstrable video picture or video than the rest of their application can convey.

Fwiw, I doubt my current 9th grader will create one. If she did, at this point the only thing I can see her including would be a chapter out of whatever current novel she is writing. Right now she says she just wants to live at home and commute, so it may be moot bc there she only needs to submit transcript and test scores.

• Like 1