Menu

When "meh" about a college visit

TwoEdgedSword

Daughter is really excited about one of her acceptances. I think our whole family thinks it would be a great fit. There's another college that is offering considerably more in scholarships, but she is thinking it might not be the best fit for her. In fact she's not super excited about a visit. (She visited a long time ago.)

What say the hive about visiting a college just to rule it out or see if it's different/better than you expected?

Daughter is really excited about one of her acceptances. I think our whole family thinks it would be a great fit. There's another college that is offering considerably more in scholarships, but she is thinking it might not be the best fit for her. In fact she's not super excited about a visit. (She visited a long time ago.)

What say the hive about visiting a college just to rule it out or see if it's different/better than you expected?

I assume that the bottom line at college #2 is lower?  If so and if you can afford the visit then I say go for it.  It will either confirm her hesitancies or change her mind.  No harm :)

ETA:  I just realized that she did actually visit a long time ago.  Hmmm...that's tough then.  If you need the money and the money is lower, I would still revisit.

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 3

How do the actual courses offered at each college line up with your dd's interests?In what specific fields are the professors actively researching, and how do these line up with your dd's interests and goals?

I really have no idea how an hour tour of a college is going to give someone a really accurate picture of what their academic life is going to be like. To me it's the actual courses of study, the professors, and the facilities that matter more than the colour of the dorm room walls.

• Like 2

How do the actual courses offered at each college line up with your dd's interests?In what specific fields are the professors actively researching, and how do these line up with your dd's interests and goals?

I really have no idea how an hour tour of a college is going to give someone a really accurate picture of what their academic life is going to be like. To me it's the actual courses of study, the professors, and the facilities that matter more than the colour of the dorm room walls.

:iagree:

I thought about that after I posted, do both schools offer what your dd needs?

Can she do an overnight?  Many schools will bend over backwards for an admitted student to feel comfortable choosing them. She can probably sit in on classes, stay in the dorm, etc.

• Like 2

To me it would depend upon family finances.  If School Choice A were affordable and arguably (on paper and a previous visit) better - even for fit - I'd just go with that and save the $$ another visit would take.  If finances are definitely an issue and School Choice B seems just as good for the actual academics, I'd invest in another visit.

• Like 4

If visiting the second ("meh") school isn't a financial strain or too difficult logistically then I would consider visiting (even if just to rule it out). If the scholarship offer is that good then perhaps it deserves another look.  If everyone involved has decided that the other school is a go and the scholarship money doesn't matter then maybe a visit would be a waste of time.

• Like 1

I would do the visit. Visits have totally changed both of my kids perspectives. Every college has its own vibe. Sitting in on a class, meeting professors, and just hanging out on campus for the day really does give a different impression than just reading about a place. 

At this time of year colleges are also putting up their fall course lists. You can usually search and find these and access them without being an enrolled student. Look at teachers and RMP ratings, class sizes, availability of desired classes, etc. We found this very informative and it also was impactful for one of my kids.

• Like 2

What did the first visit include? Was it just a generic campus visit/tour? Or did the original visit include meeting professors, sitting in on classes, talking to current students in the desired major?

I personally don't believe generic tours reveal much beyond dorm rooms. The dept and student meetings, otoh, can reveal quite a bit.

In terms of "meh," for our family if that is their best financial offer and the rest are too much of a financial stretch, "meh" it is. For schools that are closer, for example the difference between essentially full-ride and full-tuition, that is not an insignificant amt for us. Paying room and board can be $15,000+ depending on the school. $60,000...for our family that is a lot of $$ for something that they may just like better. The difference would have to be far more compelling than just not feeling it. It would have to be doesn't work bc of x,y,z. (And Dd did have that happen at 1 school. In hindsight, she shouldn't have applied. Good offer or no, it just wasn't going to work.)

• Like 1

I don't see that there is much to loose by doing another visit.  I think if she doesn't, she will wonder if she made the right decision

True, we did SO many visits, so came out at the end knowing he chose the best place given all of the constraints.  He's loving it there, but I could see him wondering if he hadn't had an opportunity to visit the other schools.

IMO, college visits are like a sales pitch for a time share.  They just show you the lovely campus and hide the ugly frat house (or whatever).  I don't think it usually provides much in the way of useful information.  Before I would spend the time or money on a visit, I would make a list of the things that you want to know that CAN'T be found on the website, and then ask myself if any of that would change my mind.  If you still decide to go, try to arrange to see those things, rather than waste time on the usual tour.  Then I would see if there is a way to find and speak to current or recently former students.