Menu

Dumb fashion trend

poppy

I like the open shoulders trend, actually, but I don't get the visible bra straps while wearing a nice open-shouldered top. Then again, I have never understood visible bra straps--it has always seemed like a fashion mistake to me, like not noticing your zipper is down or something. I think I'm clearly in the minority on the inappropriateness of visible underwear in a million situations, though :lol:

• Like 17

I noticed this yesterday when I was looking online at Target for dresses for dd and I.    I found them weird - not just off-the-shoulder, not just narrow straps but both.  They look like the old peasant blouses worn with a tank top underneath.  Looks too fussy for me.

That and a lot of completely unstructured dresses.   They look comfortable at least, but as overweight as I am they'd just make me look like I'm wearing a maternity dress. 

Like these:

http://www.target.com/p/girls-cold-shoulder-dress-art-class/-/A-51781845

• Like 4

I noticed this yesterday when I was looking online at Target for dresses for dd and I.    I found them weird - not just off-the-shoulder, not just narrow straps but both.  They look like the old peasant blouses worn with a tank top underneath.  Looks too fussy for me.

That and a lot of completely unstructured dresses.   They look comfortable at least, but as overweight as I am they'd just make me look like I'm wearing a maternity dress. 

Like these:

http://www.target.com/p/girls-cold-shoulder-dress-art-class/-/A-51781845

Oh, those! I've seen that kind of thing around for awhile in light tops, but not so much in dresses. Ew. I don't like that dress. It looks...flappy. There's so much going on there. Not my taste at all. There's a really pretty Cat and Jack one below it though! I wish my youngest still fit into some of that stuff *sigh* She's 11 and 5' 4". There really aren't a lot of young, pretty options for girls at that height!

I was thinking of totally open tops, because I spent some time recently with some young women who wore totally open necklines and visible chunky bra straps. I don't love it. But I also don't have to wear it! Whew :D

I actually tried on one of these dresses (adult size not kids) yesterday and thought it looked pretty great!  I love that my bra straps don't show.  Didn't buy the dress because the color wasn't what I was looking for but it did wonders for my slightly-flabby arms.

Oh, those! I've seen that kind of thing around for awhile in light tops, but not so much in dresses. Ew. I don't like that dress. It looks...flappy. There's so much going on there. Not my taste at all. There's a really pretty Cat and Jack one below it though! I wish my youngest still fit into some of that stuff *sigh* She's 11 and 5' 4". There really aren't a lot of young, pretty options for girls at that height!

I was thinking of totally open tops, because I spent some time recently with some young women who wore totally open necklines and visible chunky bra straps. I don't love it. But I also don't have to wear it! Whew :D

That particular dress is extremely busy - the ruffle, the straps, the pattern. A little overwhelming.

I was able to find some nice simpler dresses for dh and I (and anyone who is looking for longer shorts for girls, they had some boys shorts with zippered pockets that look perfect and came in lots of colors, including pastels).

I don't like it.   I have been looking for a dress to wear to a couple of weddings this summer, and that's mostly what I see - either that or sleeveless, and I don't do sleeveless anymore.  

My daughter's prom dress is like that - spaghetti straps, with lingerie style straps no less, where you can see the little adjuster thingy - and an off the shoulder thicker bit.  I don't really like it but she loves it and there's nothing inappropriate about it, so I just keep my mouth shut.  She does wear a strapless bra, though, so she doesn't have distracting excess straps showing.   

• Like 1

That particular dress is extremely busy - the ruffle, the straps, the pattern. A little overwhelming.

I was able to find some nice simpler dresses for dh and I (and anyone who is looking for longer shorts for girls, they had some boys shorts with zippered pockets that look perfect and came in lots of colors, including pastels).

Yeah, I think it was the pattern that did it for me. I could see it being more summery-flowy in a nice simple white or pastel. With those bright colors and the pattern? Way too much for me. 

I bet your DH would look really nice in an off-the-shoulders dress. No bra straps to worry about, at least! :w00t:

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 5

The open shoulder has been around for awhile now. I don't mind it in general but I don't like it for me.

I do like that bra straps generally don't show. I detest seeing a spaghetti strap top over a big bra strap. It took me a long time to get my daughter to agree not to do that around me.

Open shoulders .

I am seeing it in real life a bit and in shopping everywhere .

Prepare yourself to see a lot of super weird tan lines

SOOO funny because I was thinking about posting about this, too! I noticed this too and I don't think I am a fan.

The other thing I was planning to ask is: is there any such thing as a shirt that is opaque? Every shirt is thin as tissue paper! I know in the summer, it will be too hot to wear camis under every top, but I'm not real hip on showing off my bra to the whole world.

• Like 6

SOOO funny because I was thinking about posting about this, too! I noticed this too and I don't think I am a fan.

The other thing I was planning to ask is: is there any such thing as a shirt that is opaque? Every shirt is thin as tissue paper! I know in the summer, it will be too hot to wear camis under every top, but I'm not real hip on showing off my bra to the whole world.

I hate this with a fiery, fiery passion. It makes me so angry. And expensive retailers are just as guilty as those selling clothes made of cheaper materials! I go through so many tops every time I shop, just trying to find one you can't see right through, or you won't be able to see right through after three washes. 

I'm equally angry about the polyester creep, and I think it's part of the same trend to reduce materials costs. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find 100% cotton t-shirts now. I finally gave in last summer and bought some that had polyester content around 25-30%, and they pilled immediately and started looking worn after a couple of washes. I loathe polyester, but I can't find tees that fit me (slightly plus size but with an hourglass figure, so I need a lightly fitted shape), that aren't see through, that are 100% cotton, and that don't look like men's shirts. (If anyone can link anything and prove me wrong, please do so!)

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops
  • Like 8

Yes! I've spent the past few days trying to find DD an Easter dress. We've looked in the ladies and kids sections, and sooo many of the dresses were those split shoulder style. Blech! And everything IS so thin that it requires a tank top and slip. Who wants to bother with that in humid summer months?!

• Like 1

I hate shirt shopping because everything has to be layered.  I don't want to layer.  Which is why all I wear are my duluth trading long tail tank tops.  I keep looking in the hopes that I won't be showing off my bra for the world.

• Like 1

I also dislike this trend. Looks too...mature... for my youngest. Not flattering for my cushy upper arms. Too many people wear ill-fitting garments and the "holes" fall in the wrong place.

I wouldn't mind others wearing them and personally passing, aside from the fact that SO MANY items on store racks are following the trend. Leaves a lot fewer choices for us gals preferring more coverage.

• Like 2

I like the open shoulders trend, actually, but I don't get the visible bra straps while wearing a nice open-shouldered top. Then again, I have never understood visible bra straps--it has always seemed like a fashion mistake to me, like not noticing your zipper is down or something. I think I'm clearly in the minority on the inappropriateness of visible underwear in a million situations, though :lol:

I'm in your minority group, love the way you've described it, I feel the same way.

• Like 3

My daughter tells me the new sheer tops are due to the trend in bra-letts. The bra-lett is supposed to be seen.

I've also noticed the trend in dresses to have longer sheer skirts with a thicker & shorter mini-skirt style underlining.

Yes, I was thinking this, when I saw a bunch of those bralettes hanging at Aeropostle. I am a major non-fan of those. It's like Madonna is back. "Underwear as outerwear!" No. Not so much

• Like 1

I don't mind it because I think it's a way to have a more summery look/cooler wardrobe without necessarily exposing your bra straps (of course that depends on the width of the collar).

I don't know if I'd pick one out for myself, but I saw it on TV and didn't mind it. I think it was the daughter (Savannah) in Chrisley Knows Best. She has a clothing line and I figure that top she was wearing might be from her own line.

Most women's tops don't appeal to me. They tend to have low or wide collars. I don't want plunging necklines or bra straps sticking out. I wear a lot of t-shirts, but like to be able to wear dressier tops, too. Like today I was trying to tuck my bra strap back under my shirt at church ugh. And I agree about it being annoying when fabric is too thin/see through. I have a skirt that requires a slip, but last time I tried to find a half slip I had no luck. I don't know if anyone wears them anymore. I had to settle for a full slip I own and yes it is awful in the summer to wear all that extra fabric.

• Like 1

The thin shirts drive me crazy.  Every shirt my dd wants I could read a book through.  I am constantly asking, "What do you have to wear under this?"  I have gotten use to a bit of bra strap showing here or there, but we are not showing our whole bra/stomach.

My daughter tells me the new sheer tops are due to the trend in bra-letts. The bra-lett is supposed to be seen.

I've also noticed the trend in dresses to have longer sheer skirts with a thicker & shorter mini-skirt style underlining.

I tried one of these on.  It looked ridiculous. Too bad, because the skirt was really pretty, but I didn't want to go to the work of adding on to the lining.   

I don't mind the look, necessarily, but I think is really difficult to wear well.  It just doesn't look good on many people.  The same thing with strapless, really.  You need nce looking shoulders and neck, and really good posture.  Often a large bust can ruin it too.

I hate this with a fiery, fiery passion. It makes me so angry. And expensive retailers are just as guilty as those selling clothes made of cheaper materials! I go through so many tops every time I shop, just trying to find one you can't see right through, or you won't be able to see right through after three washes. 

I'm equally angry about the polyester creep, and I think it's part of the same trend to reduce materials costs. It's like looking for a needle in a haystack trying to find 100% cotton t-shirts now. I finally gave in last summer and bought some that had polyester content around 25-30%, and they pilled immediately and started looking worn after a couple of washes. I loathe polyester, but I can't find tees that fit me (slightly plus size but with an hourglass figure, so I need a lightly fitted shape), that aren't see through, that are 100% cotton, and that don't look like men's shirts. (If anyone can link anything and prove me wrong, please do so!)

Yes, cheap clothes right now are an issue.  I think everyone is having to compete against these retailers, like H&M, that produce tons of these trendy but cheap clothes.  Even the stores for more mature women are heading that way.  No one can afford to compete with good quality things without having the price well above the other stuff.

If you want opaque shirts, you have to buy from the men's section. Like with lack of pockets in women's clothing, and lack of proper sleeves on dresses, this one can be chalked up to the patriarchy. Don't know why the patriarchy is so interested in my closet, but there it is.