Menu

Accountability Thread 3/26-4/1

Spring Break Week for me! Naturally, I scheduled it on a week where every other day shows a 60% chance or better of thunderstorms. Oh, well. 

Nothing planned today except catching up on some housekeeping that didn't happen when I worked Friday and Saturday, some cooking, and writing. It's supposed to pour tomorrow; therefore, I will do my school planning on Monday.

• Like 3

Good Monday morning! Today we have a routine appointment at 9:30. It's 5 minutes from our house and usually pretty quick so I think we'll be home and getting started with school work by 10:30.

Read alouds, science catch up, short history lesson, and Bible lesson for all. Independent reading, copywork, and multiplication table activities for dd. Phonics lesson, buddy reading, handwriting practice, and addition facts activities for ds.

We also need to make some banana bread or muffins today with the overripe bananas. I count that time because I make dd do all the measurement math and ds is constantly asking, "what's baking powder for?" and "why do you spray oil in the pan?" I gotta get those hours in!

Enjoy your spring break, Critter, even if it is a rainy one. :)

• Like 3

We might be the only ones doing school this week. I'm lonely, guys! :mellow: ;)

Here's what we did today:

Bible reading and history video with discussion questions together. Dd did independent reading, multiplication practice, and one sentence for writing with much wailing and gnashing of teeth :rolleyes:. Ds did a phonics lesson, buddy reading, and handwriting practice.

Dd is on a homeschool field trip this afternoon. Fortunately, friends that were going were happy to take her. Afternoons are hard to schedule things here with two napping toddlers.

That's it for our homeschool day!

Edited by MrsRobinson
  • Like 3

Standardized testing counts as school but no teaching here :) I'm in a parking lot with the other kids in the car waiting for a phone call that ds is done. I'm hoping he is ok -- nervous first time taking a test away from me. The instructions and length of each question are too much reading for him.(judging by practice test) I don't know if it is just hard and all the third graders will struggle if I should be considering testing/IEP so he can use the audio option. The books he is reading lately for pleasure are lexile 6.5-6.3 so I thought he was average at least. Gah. So hard watching your baby be tested.

• Like 3

Glad you are getting some needed rest, Critter. :)

Jean, sorry it's proving to be a rough week for you. I hope things look up. :grouphug:

CadenceSophia, let us know how the testing went. I'm rooting for your ds!

Today is full of the usual school things. Reading aloud, Bible reading, and we need to catch up on science.

Dd has reading, something for language arts (burning out big time with her language arts battles) and multiplication facts practice. She's almost got the 3's! Hopefully we can add in the 4's today or tomorrow.

Ds will have phonics lesson, buddy reading, handwriting practice, and addition facts. He will be done with his phonics book if he does the last lesson on Saturday. So I think we are going to do it so we can have a little celebration. I'm going to surprise him with balloons. But I'm not sure what else to do.

Dd's piano lesson this afternoon will wrap up our school day.

• Like 3

Today DH took off because we were going to drive down to the area of the state where I've set my novel. I planned to take more pictures, just explore the area and remember how much I love the place before I slog on through the rest of the novel. However, the weather isn't cooperating. 

So we took the boys out to a local lake to kayak, and watched the wood ducks flying after the short rain came through. Big bad boomers expected later this afternoon. I rescheduled the outing I'd planned for later in the week.

So now I need to write, and I might take a nap.

• Like 3

He did it! He did really well. The proctoring teacher was all compliments but I wasn't surprised there. He is a great kid -- cooperative and well spoken at the right times. Obviously I have no idea about the score yet but I don't care at all.  He was also very brave and sat through both the math AND language exam which meant we only had to attend that one session instead of both yesterday and today. I don't care if it results in a lower score -- the test is close to an hour away from my house, I had to bring ALL the kids and keep them occupied while he was in there, AND I am 38 weeks pregnant. One less day of driving is HUGE gift to me and I thanked him appropriately with cupcakes ;)

It snowed this morning, 6" of soft and squishy. The kids were out playing before breakfast so I only made them do a little math for the day. Neighborhood kids had a snow day so DS went over to his friend's house around noon and is going to church with them so I won't see him back until 9. Regular-ish days of school planned for Thursday and Friday. 

• Like 3

My kids woke up insane today. DS8 didn't get home until after 10 (normal bed time by 8:30, asleep around 9), the toddler stayed up until midnight because of a 6pm nap and then woke up to DH's alarm right before 7 so he's exhausted. I need to buy blackout shades this week because it is too bright at bed time already. I hate tired kids.

Whole house cleaning together floor by floor. Light school and maybe a Costco run planned for today.

• Like 3

Today was a flop. DS slept in late, then sat at the table and ate for 1.5 hours.  At noon, I told him to get in gear because we were doing school despite his fatigue. He started in on some EASY math worksheets that I had printed out as a fraction refresher before we dig a little deeper.  After I while I noticed he had stopped. He said he had finished 4. I let him lay on the couch and listen to an audio book for 2 hours like a complete lump. When I went to check his work, it turns out he had done maybe 4 problems, not 4 sheets.  He threw two ridiculous tantrums before he mustered the strength to finish what he was supposed to just of math and then spent the rest of the day like a lump.  Clearly, missing sleep is not an option for him at this point.  :glare:

I got my Costco trip in after DH came home from work. Hopefully tomorrow is a better day.

• Like 3

:grouphug: Cadence and sleep-deprived son. I have a feeling I'll be there today, although hopefully without the tantrums. Up at two and now it's almost five and I'm just beginning to get sleepy again. I feel like a baby--my days and nights are getting mixed up.

• Like 3

Our day was a flop too. Minimal math got done and a phonics lesson and handwriting practice with ds. Dd did half of a writing lesson. That's it. I can't entirely blame the kids though. I was like an engine that wouldn't start when it came to school. Dh didn't get home in time for me to take ds to get his allergy shots so we will have to try that again today.

I did get a ton of housework and baking done yesterday so the day did feel productive.

Today, we are doing a post office trip to tie in with a mail service social studies unit study for ds. We are mailing letters internationally. The kids are excited and we've had the date on the calendar for a while so I have to haul all 4 out in the rain. :glare:

Hopefully we will hit all our main subjects today. I decided we can't take Fridays off when we take so many other random days off. :lol: Maybe next year I'll be more on the ball and we can take Fridays off. Maybe...

I hope everyone gets some needed rest! Have a good weekend!

• Like 3