Menu

Fun Photo Puzzle, 1920s Style - More info #19

SJ.

What is the gender of the children in the photo?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. What is the gender of the children in the photo?

• Both children are girls
    • Both children are boys
    • The tall child is a girl, the shorter child is a boy
    • The tall child is a boy, the shorter child is a girl
    • It could go either way
    • Other...

This evening I came across an old family photo.  There has been some dispute as to the gender of the children in the photo.  The photo was probably taken sometime between 1922-1924 in rural northeast Ohio.  What do you think?

ETA - I forgot to attach the photos!  Trying to do so now.

ETA2 - Arrrgghhh!!!  I keep getting an upload error.

ETA3 - Still can't post the photo but changed it to my profile picture.  Can you see it?  Any tips on how to post the photo?

ETA4 - Figured it out!  Whew!

Edited by SJ.

Looks like they live on a farm - I can't see a farmer letting his boy have that haircut ;-) so I vote both girls.  Short bobs were a common girl haircut 20s-30s.  On a little boy it would come across too Little Lord Fauntleroy, I think. 

Edited by JFSinIL

Here is the backstory of the picture:

A cousin has this picture and the back of the picture says L., her sister , and her sister's children.  L. only has one sister, E.  Her three children are BoyG (1917), BoyW (1920), and GirlB (1922).  

E. and her family lived in Cleveland but E's family home was in the Ohio countryside, hence the farm photo.  E. had a difficult life and lived in poverty in the city.  

i think it is plausible that the two children in the photo are boys, specifically BoyG and BoyW.  Regarding the clothing - there is a seam down the center of the clothes of the child on the left, possible baggy pants or shorts?  And the child on the right you cannot see whether the child is wearing pants, shorts, or a dress.  The hair I think is just bad hair cuts.  The hair of the child on the left looks disheveled, perhaps from a day of playing outside on the farm.

Or perhaps the outfits were made by their immigrant grandmother (whose house I believe they are visiting) and very old fashioned even for the 1920s?

My mother disagrees and insists they are girls.  IMO there is no one else the children could be but the two boys.  

Thoughts?  

My mom sent me a few additional photos today.  The child alone is BoyG and the other photo is both brothers.

Edited by SJ.

I think you are correct.  Both children are boys.  That was my initial thought, but when I showed the photo to my dd, she convinced me that they were both girls (so I voted that way).

If the children didn't live on the farm, maybe they were dressed in "made by Grandma" nicer clothes for visiting or for the photo.

Assuming 1924 for the photo, that would make the children ages 7 and 4, which looks appropriate.

• Like 1

I think the children are wearing rompers.  These were common playwear for both boys and girls.  (Think of the scene in Cheaper by the Dozen where Annie is asked to button up her younger siblings' rompers.)    

I believe you are right.  I found an old Sears advertisement for boy rompers and the outfits in the photo look similar to the coverall design on the left with a belting detail similar to the other rompers.  

Edited by SJ.