Menu

CLE Math 805 to CLE Algebra 1?

Wonder

My DD (7th grade) just finished CLE Math 710 and will be starting 802.  My plan is for her to get through book 805 over the next few months and then start Algebra 1 for 8th grade.  After reading several threads about moving from CLE to Algebra, this plan seemed feasible.  Some have even said their child went straight from the 700 level to Saxon Algebra 1 (or something similar).  

Until recently, I didn't realize that CLE even had a Sunrise Edition Algebra 1 program.  My DD really likes CLE and would probably prefer to stick with it if she can.  I had planned to move her to something like Saxon for Algebra 1, but now I'm considering CLE.  

For those who have experience with CLE's Algebra 1 books, what do you think of it?  

Do we need to finish the entire 800 level before beginning their Algebra 1 course?  She'll be bummed, if so. :(

Any other suggestions?  She's a fairly mathy kid - it's definitely not her weakness.  She gravitates toward science/math.

We went into CLE Alg 1 without a hitch after 710. We briefly tried Saxon ALG and it was just awful.  CLE Alg 1 introduces one new concept each lesson and then reviews previous material, while Saxon was teaching several things each lesson.  My son HATED it, and I'm sure that a lot of that has to do with the fact that we've used CLE since 1st grade.  It is very user friendly. We're doing Jacob's Geometry next year, and I'm hoping CLE's Alg 2 will be ready by the time we need it. 

• Like 2

We went into CLE Alg 1 without a hitch after 710. We briefly tried Saxon ALG and it was just awful.  CLE Alg 1 introduces one new concept each lesson and then reviews previous material, while Saxon was teaching several things each lesson.  My son HATED it, and I'm sure that a lot of that has to do with the fact that we've used CLE since 1st grade.  It is very user friendly. We're doing Jacob's Geometry next year, and I'm hoping CLE's Alg 2 will be ready by the time we need it. 

Thanks so much for sharing your experience!  It sounds like she'll be just fine to not finish all of the 800 level.  I think I'll probably still have her do the beginning of the 800 level, but now I'm not sure which Algebra to go with.  We have decided against Saxon, but now I see a lot of others mentioned in these boards - Jacob's, Foerster's, Lial's, etc. She's so used to CLE, but I'll be researching some of these others. :)

• Like 1

We've used all the levels of CLE including Algebra I. I think you should be fine transitioning mid-800's. If you get up to 805, the first few units of Algebra will be mostly review so it should make for an easy transition.

If you look at the scope and sequence, there is a lot of overlap in the later units with the Algebra I course in both Algebra and probability and statistics concepts. In addition, 810 is all consumer math and some of the other light units have quite a bit of consumer math which I don't feel is all that necessary. There are some good geometry concepts presented as well (basic trig functions) but nothing that won't be covered again if you take a separate Geometry course.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I'm in the same boat. My 7th grader has been doing CLE and I was considering skipping the 800 level and going straight into Algebra 1, but wasn't sure what curriculum to use. She does fine in math but doesn't love it, so I wanted something that sparked her interest. Many suggested Jan's online program My Homeschool Math Class for Algebra 1. The good news is that if it doesn't work out we are a year ahead and she can try a different curriculum in 9th grade!