Menu

Foerster Algebra I through Homeschool Connections?

Wow, 7AM Pacific would kill our kids. They are still deep in dreamland. lol   :p  Other than that, it looks like an interesting option. Forester is an excellent text which many use on their own. So having another Forester resource is a good thing.

I don't have personal experience with the Foerster Algebra course, but my 17-year-old daughter is taking Geometry this year with Mrs. Hoeft. It's one of her favorite classes and she loves Mrs. Hoeft. Our experience has been that Mrs. Hoeft makes herself available outside of class when asked, either by phone or Skype. When my daughter mentioned in the class chat that she was struggling last October, Mrs. Hoeft reached out to me. Up until this year, my daughter took math through our local co-op or on our own. It's a subject she's really struggled with up until now. So, I'm super happy to report that she just got a 96 on her last test.  

• Like 1

Rootann,

If you had it to do again, which Algebra I would you choose?

Well, we're doing Alg 2 through HC, not Alg 1. For our particular needs, I'd do it the same way this year because the class fit our needs & we've been able to fill in where needed from a teaching & time perspective. I always think you should go into an online class with realistic expectations. I've been burned before thinking that a class would provide the teaching & support that I do when I teach a class at home - and then, it didn't. (Found this out with Second Form Latin & Memoria Press!) I have found that, compared to many others on this board, my kids need more practice, more repetition, and more teaching. Mine are also, with a few exceptions, not self-driven. If it isn't spelled out in class ("drill for 5-10 minutes each day with vocab flashcards" or "if the problems I assigned are still really tough when you get done with them, do more of the same type of problems."), my kids don't, generally, do it on their own.

I get the chance to redo everything since I have five kids. My second will be doing Alg 1 next year. She's a different kid than #1 and for that reason along with a few others, I'm going to try Jacobs Algebra - probably with AskDrCallahan. I'll be doing teaching three days per week, but have the videos for backup if she needs more teaching instruction.

DD#3 will be right behind her (1 - 1 1/2 yrs later), but I don't know what her Alg 1 will be. I'll cross that bridge when we come to it. DD#2 refuses to do any online classes again, so I'll probably teach her all the way up - including Jurgensen Geo and Foerster Alg 2 at home (maybe with MathWithoutBorders videos as a backup). DD#3 might be open to an online class, so she might go w/Memoria Press or Wilson Hill for Geometry (Jurgensen). I don't know where she will end up for Alg 2, but I do like the Foerster book.

What works for one person might not work for another & vice versa. I'm glad the previous poster posted a positive experience. Mrs. Hoeft is really nice.

[i removed my first post. If you want a summary, you can PM me. I post honest reviews of our experiences to help others with their decisions, never as an attack on a teacher or provider.]

Edited by RootAnn
  • Like 2

That may be the difference in our experience. My daughter is very self directed. Now her brother right behind her (15-years old) is a different story. I have him doing math with Teaching Textbooks and my adult daughter tutoring him (she has a BS in mathematics). He does take writing and history online through HSC, but I make sure to follow up with him and keep an eye on his homework assignments. 

I'm sorry if anyone felt compelled to remove honest feedback about the course in question. If you pay money for a product or service, you should be able to share your experiences openly and publicly.

We also ask publishers and providers NOT to leap into these discussions to defend themselves. This board provides space for parent-to-parent conversations.