Menu

WTMA Study Skills class

My son took it last summer and it is a great class.   He took it during the summer before 6th grade and did not find the homework too difficult nor was it too much work.  I feel it taught many useful things - note taking, being organized, following a syllabus, test tips, etc.  The key to it making an impact is to make a very deliberate effort to continue using the skills so they become a habit.  Unfortunately, I did not help my son do this (and I really should have!) so he will be relearning many of the things from the class.  

• Like 1

As far as homework the assignments were things like -

- Email the instructor regarding XYZ (in the lesson about contacting a teacher as a form of self advocacy when you have a problem)

- Make a message board post and respond to a classmate (to learn how to use the message boards)

- Read a page out of a textbook and take notes in the style covered in class

- Save a file to *.pdf format and submit it

- Create a poster on what success means to you

- Answering a short open resource quiz about the syllabus (to teach how to read a syllabus)

- Create a study space and send in a photo

- Create Pneumonics on a topic of your choice to aid in studying

There were others but I can't remember what they were.  The class was engaging, the instructor was personable and good at keeping the class on topic.

Edited by SJ.
  • Like 2

As far as homework the assignments were things like -

- Email the instructor regarding XYZ (in the lesson about contacting a teacher as a form of self advocacy when you have a problem)

- Make a message board post and respond to a classmate (to learn how to use the message boards)

- Read a page out of a textbook and take notes in the style covered in class

- Save a file to *.pdf format and submit it

- Create a poster on what success means to you

- Answering a short open resource quiz about the syllabus (to teach how to read a syllabus)

- Create a study space and send in a photo

- Create Pneumonics on a topic of your choice to aid in studying

There were others but I can't remember what they were.  The class was engaging, the instructor was personable and good at keeping the class on topic.

Thank you!  This is very helpful.  

• Like 1

Just echoing SJ. It's a great class. Amy Upperman is a thoughtful and engaging teacher. I had dd take it last summer before high school and it was quite helpful. It's a nice into to online classes too. She learned how to manage an online calendar and upload things which has been great for her classes since. I would definitely recommend it.

Ditto to the above posters.  My DS took the class as a 6th grader and it was not overwhelming.  The assignments were simple but valuable.  Mrs. Upperman was excellent.  We used the class as an intro to online learning and the format was easy to use, even for a kid with no prior experience.  

May I just add one word of my own BTDT caution?

My oldest sounds very much like your daughter.  I enrolled him in the study skills class when he was in 7th grade.  He was getting a lot of zeros on his homework.  He would do the work but he would "forget" to turn in work or not be able to find it or some other excuse.  Our relationship was becoming very strained, and 95 percent of our angst revolved around school work.

I didn't want to further nag him, so I decided to let my son do the class all on his own - the sink or swim method.  He sunk.  The class and the instructor are wonderful, don't get me wrong.   He just was not ready for 100 percent ownership.  He was doing the same thing in the online class he was doing in school - the executive function issues were out in full force.

So when I saw in your original post about not wanting to damage your relationship further, I just wanted to chime in and say don't make my mistake.  Hand hold, at least for the first bit until she finds her groove. 

• Like 1

May I just add one word of my own BTDT caution?

My oldest sounds very much like your daughter. I enrolled him in the study skills class when he was in 7th grade. He was getting a lot of zeros on his homework. He would do the work but he would "forget" to turn in work or not be able to find it or some other excuse. Our relationship was becoming very strained, and 95 percent of our angst revolved around school work.

I didn't want to further nag him, so I decided to let my son do the class all on his own - the sink or swim method. He sunk. The class and the instructor are wonderful, don't get me wrong. He just was not ready for 100 percent ownership. He was doing the same thing in the online class he was doing in school - the executive function issues were out in full force.

So when I saw in your original post about not wanting to damage your relationship further, I just wanted to chime in and say don't make my mistake. Hand hold, at least for the first bit until she finds her groove.

Yes! Executive functions need lots of shoring and scaffolding for anyone with ADHD or EFD. It helped (still helps) to sit down and work through things together. We set aside time on Sunday's to go over weekly calendar, help set aside reasonable time chunks (my oldest is totally time blind), add alarms to calendar, create task lists to check off for each day. I'm sure the class will be helpful, but hand holding, training, and creating habits (that just don't make sense to the way they think, ergo take longer) together are essential. Best wishes!