Menu

I'm pregnant-and don't want to be

aregularuser

I'm a long time member here, but would prefer to post this anonymously.

I was done having babies. Our family was full. Our house is full. And here we are, pregnant.

I was D.O.N.E. having babies.

I realize there are many here that will find that offensive-for whatever reason. But the fact remains I didn't want a baby. I was enjoying my older kids. I was glad we left the late night feedings, diapers, high chairs, strollers, potty training. I like doing algebra. I'm loving the jokes and the late night conversations. The meaningful interactions. The strategy games, the REAL conversations. My older kids are awesome-I really loved them when they were tiny, but man, being a parent to older kids is a blast!

In 7 months, I'll be fine. I'll be good. We will have this baby. We will love and care for this baby. We will enjoy them.

But in the meantime, I'm sad. I'm scared (seriously, we have no space ANYWHERE in our house for another bed. Our house is literally full. Where are we going to put them? Will we need to buy a "new" house-easier said than done, as we are tied to the land. Any house we find will need to be moved to our location. ) So many changes. I work. I left the last time I had a baby, and only just this year came back. Now, do I leave again? For good? (I know, it's too soon to answer that).

I've been struggling for a while with depression and anxiety. I was finally starting to feel good and normal. Everything was getting easier to cope with. And now,  I need to stop medication-but am truly scared to. How am I going to cope emotionally?

Since I was done-I kept nothing. Not a thing. Just two weeks ago I took the last of the baby things and donated them.

How will I manage school with another baby? I finally got into a good groove with my 5.

I didn't want more kids. We were complete. It's still so new and fresh-and I'm so overwhelmed with the thought of another little one. Please just send me hugs. I know that it WILL be okay, good even. It just isn't yet.

(On a positive note, besides losing all memory capabilities, I really have good easy pregnancies. Physically, I don't look for it to be hard. That's a good thing)

I'm sorry.

My mom had a friend with the youngest around 12 when she unexpectedly became pregnant.  She cried for three days.  And that was okay.  She did not want to be pregnant.  She was so beyond done.  She liked having older kids.  By the time the baby was born (her first girl), she had adjusted to the idea and today that baby is in her 20s and she and her mom have been so incredibly close since day one.

I hope and pray it ends up like that for you.  But, for now, it is okay to be exactly where you are with all this.

• Like 16

:grouphug: As you said, you will adjust and it will be all right. It sounds like you have older kids who will be moving out to go to college in a few years, so maybe your space issue won't be as bad as you think it might be? Also, those older kids can be a lot of help!

They aren't that old yet. Young teens. But they still have several years at home. The oldest is planning on going to a local college-tuiton free and staying at home. But she's still young and plans may change by then. But they are a lot of help. Then I feel guilty for needing their help, asking for their help.

I'm sorry.

My mom had a friend with the youngest around 12 when she unexpectedly became pregnant.  She cried for three days.  And that was okay.  She did not want to be pregnant.  She was so beyond done.  She liked having older kids.  By the time the baby was born (her first girl), she had adjusted to the idea and today that baby is in her 20s and she and her mom have been so incredibly close since day one.

I hope and pray it ends up like that for you.  But, for now, it is okay to be exactly where you are with all this.

Thank you. I hope so too. I'm no longer in tears the moment I think about it.... but they aren't far off. But that's progress.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug:

Thinking of you.  I think more women than will admit have felt exactly the way you feel right now.  Thankfully, things do change for most.  I bet this baby's big siblings will love a little one to spoil.  

• Like 5

:grouphug:  :grouphug:    That's not easy. I think, in time, I'd be looking at really cute baby photos and imagining those adorable hands and wee bodies and all the really neat things about babies; and the baby can sleep in my room for a while at least. I'd try not to focus on the next few years. 

• Like 2

I get it.  While I'd love another baby in theory, the logistics and practical daily life would overwhelm me.  Our house is full, our van is full, my brain is full.  I'm sorry you're not in a place to rejoice in this news (I would be panicked myself), but I'm glad you can see far enough ahead to know you'll love this baby.

• Like 1

:grouphug:

I have a caboose. he was born the year 1dd graduated college.  2dd was a college freshman - so, I did only have two still at home (well, the girls were home in the summer).  he was planned, in a way.  but it had been so long, and I was in perimenopause - I really thought it wasn't' going to happen. dh was ecstatic. I was torn.

I do understand the putting life on hold.  (what energy was left from him was taken by my own health issues.)

oh- and I got rid of my cradle and diapers TWO MONTHS before I got pg.  (that did it. I used paper.) I really liked the baby nightgowns with elastic at the feet.  so easy for nighttime diaper changes.  but I never would have bought them if I was reusing older kids stuff.

then - it was an extremely difficult pregnancy. I developed pneumonia and was hospitalized.   I had sporadic implantation bleeding until I was 12 weeks - and later a mild abruption that bled off and on until he was born . . . to think I'd been praying I wouldn't have the hip issues I had with 1ds & 2ds . . . . (I didn't - it was worse.) and he spent his first week in the hospital nursery.  

his siblings adore him. he adores them.  1dd does combo mom/big-sister/favorite-aunt all rolled up into one. he gets to have over nights at her house. (2dd lives in another state.  dsil will have nerf-gun fights with him.) 1ds is his most favorite person in the world.   I think it's been good for 2ds to have a younger sibling . . .   he was the light of my mother's life.  she died right before his 4th birthday.

I've learned so many things I never would have without him.

he turned things upside down - but has enriched all of our lives.

• Like 18

I was you.  I get it.  I was 41 when I got pregnant.  My older kids were human already.  I owned no baby stuff.  I had happily and permanently (so I thought) gotten rid of all of it.  We were building a house that would suit our family perfectly.  There was no room for a baby, in our house, or in our life.  The prospect of childbirth scared me.  The prospect of exhaustion scared me.  The prospect of being 60 before the baby was grown irritated me.  I didn't want a baby.  I was totally over babies.  And, yet, there was a baby growing inside me.  It was coming in a matter of months.  Dh was thrilled.  I was angry, and scared, and sad.

I was honest with my mid-wife, and she told me to be extra vigilant and aware of postpartum depression.  She asked me every visit how I was adjusting, and we worked through it.  

Still, I remember being in labor, and walking toward the hospital doors.  I just wanted to put both hands and feet against the doorframe and resist with everything I had to keep from entering those doors.  I felt that if I could just stay outside, I could keep it from happening.  (Totally irrational, I knew, so I stoically walked through the doors, toward my fate).

Next thing I knew, we had a baby, then a little girl, and no place to keep her!  It was really awkward for her to share a room with her siblings because they are SO much older than her.  Still, we just found space for her through the years, first in our room, then in her brother's room because sister's was too small.  Eventually, we set up the attic space in our closet as a little mini-tower room.  She slept in there until big sister moved out a couple years ago. Dd has her own real room now.  We bought a bigger car, but not a bigger house.  Now that the older two are both gone to college, the house seems big and empty with just the three of us.

When she approached first grade, I DID NOT want to start homeschooling her.  I didn't want to do first grade again.  So, she went to school full time for first grade.  By the time she was in second grade, I started to realize that I could do some things better than the school, so I homeschooled half days for second and third grade.  By the time she was approaching 4th grade, and I saw what was coming in the public school, I was rested enough from my burn-out, and realized she wasn't being challenged enough at school to achieve the goals she had set for herself.  I brought her home full time for fourth and fifth grades. She's now in private school and thriving, and I'm retired from homeschooling, working on decluttering my house and trying to figure out what to do next.  

Parenting has been different this time.  I don't have the creative energy I had with my older kids, but I'm a lot more relaxed with my youngest than I was with the olders.  Youngest dd is a joy, and is way more independent than the older ones were.  She's not fearful of new things.  She is organized, and she takes charge of the things she is supposed to be in charge of. She's a social dynamo and is involved with all sorts of activities (music, sports, coding club, drama).  Dh is home more than he used to be, as well, so he is much more involved in her life than he was with her siblings'.  

It really has turned out okay.  Sometimes I wonder what I would be doing now, with a completely empty nest.  Would I have gone to school, or work, or run for office or something?  I don't know.  It would have been different, but not necessarily better.  And, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to know this amazing girl.  She has opened up my world!

I feel for you.  I know what I felt like to face the seemingly daunting task of raising another child when I thought I was finished with that time of my life.  It's still not perfect and I'm looking forward to my next life.  Whatever that will be, it will happen soon enough.  In the meantime, I drive around a lot, and wait in parking lots and lobbies.  I learned to crochet, and I'm starting to tackle that stack of books I've been meaning to read.  I'm thinking about courses I might take for the fun of learning.  I'm paying attention to my health so I can stay active for many years to come.  I don't feel old (even though 53 used to seem ancient).  Life is good.  I am not sorry.

Edited to correct my age.  I temporally forgot how old I am.

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 29

This is honestly something I dread in the middle of the night sometimes. Like I I actually say I'm done with babies and we don't have any more intentionally in five years or so, that I'll resent the heck out of a surprise baby if we have one down the line, at least for a little while.

I'm sorry you're in this spot and praying your anxiety and stress turns to joy as soon as it can. Hugs :(

This is honestly something I dread in the middle of the night sometimes. Like I I actually say I'm done with babies and we don't have any more intentionally in five years or so, that I'll resent the heck out of a surprise baby if we have one down the line, at least for a little while.

I'm sorry you're in this spot and praying your anxiety and stress turns to joy as soon as it can. Hugs :(

So curious, if you feel that way, why not pursue sterilization?? If I felt this way, there would be no temporary BC that I would trust.

• Like 7

They aren't that old yet. Young teens. But they still have several years at home. The oldest is planning on going to a local college-tuiton free and staying at home. But she's still young and plans may change by then. But they are a lot of help. Then I feel guilty for needing their help, asking for their help.<<<

You know what? I'd be willing to be they will WANT to help. My mom had me at 40, 12 years after her first 5 (that were born within 6 years). I can't speak to how she felt, because I don't know that she was disappointed to be pregnant, but I'm sure she was surprised. My older siblings spent so much time with me, giving me several baths a day, taking me for walks, reading to me, etc. My mom and dad were still able to travel and do the things they wanted when I was a young teen because my older siblings were married with children so there was always someone I could stay with (and I enjoyed it).

I know that doesn't help with the way you're feeling right now, but at least maybe it will ease your mind a little about later.

As far as space, it'll work out somehow. Babies really don't need a lot of gadgets, especially with lots of people/arms around for entertainment and holding. The ones you DO need can likely be found inexpensively at resale shops or online classifieds for your area.

Sending some hugs your way!

Edited by StaceyinLA
  • Like 4

I was you.  I get it.  I was 41 when I got pregnant.  My older kids were human already.  I owned no baby stuff.  I had happily and permanently (so I thought) gotten rid of all of it.  We were building a house that would suit our family perfectly.  There was no room for a baby, in our house, or in our life.  The prospect of childbirth scared me.  The prospect of exhaustion scared me.  The prospect of being 60 before the baby was grown irritated me.  I didn't want a baby.  I was totally over babies. 

I'm finally interested in babies again.  GRANDbabies!  (2dd is talking about having one next year) 

I was honest with my mid-wife, and she told me to be extra vigilant and aware of postpartum depression.  She asked me every visit how I was adjusting, and we worked through it.  

:iagree:

Parenting has been different this time.  I don't have the creative energy I had with my older kids, but I'm a lot more relaxed with my youngest than I was with the olders.  Youngest dd is a joy, and is way more independent than the older ones were.  She's not fearful of new things.  She is organized, and she takes charge of the things she is supposed to be in charge of. She's a social dynamo and is involved with all sorts of activities (music, sports, coding club, drama).  Dh is home more than he used to be, as well, so he is much more involved in her life than he was with her siblings'.  

:iagree:   for many reasons.

It really has turned out okay.  Sometimes I wonder what I would be doing now, with a completely empty nest.  Would I have gone to school, or work, or run for office or something?  I don't know.  It would have been different, but not necessarily better.  And, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to know this amazing girl.  She has opened up my world!

I feel for you.  I know what I felt like to face the seemingly daunting task of raising another child when I thought I was finished with that time of my life.  It's still not perfect and I'm looking forward to my next life.  Whatever that will be, it will happen soon enough.  In the meantime, I drive around a lot, and wait in parking lots and lobbies.  I learned to crochet, and I'm starting to tackle that stack of books I've been meaning to read.  I'm thinking about courses I might take for the fun of learning.  I'm paying attention to my health so I can stay active for many years to come.  I don't feel old (even though 52 used to seem ancient).  Life is good.  I am not sorry.

I agree.

I had planned what i wanted to do when my kids were older - then I had dudeling.  I'm learning to play piano - something I've always wanted to do.   

also be prepared that baby's peers parents - will be younger..  it's weird.  

• Like 3

So curious, if you feel that way, why not pursue sterilization?? If I felt this way, there would be no temporary BC that I would trust.

have you really looked into them?  I've looked into both v and t after dudeling . .  they have their own failure rate - as well as difficult to counter complications. (and given how I react to things . . ) I stayed with bc.   I did use a mirena for awhile - but I react badly to hormonal bc too and demanded my gyn remove it.  (she was ticked off too.)

• Like 1

Because we aren't sure we are done yet and have moral compunctions with ruining a healthy functioning reproductive system from a religious standpoint.

Right now we don't feel like we are done. We are just waiting half a decade to get some things in order and will reassess at 35-ish.

Edited by Arctic Mama

have you really looked into them?  I've looked into both v and t after dudeling . .  they have their own failure rate - as well as difficult to counter complications. (and given how I react to things . . ) I stayed with bc.   I did use a mirena for awhile - but I react badly to hormonal bc too and demanded my gyn remove it.  (she was ticked off too.)

I got a Paraguard IUD 9 years ago.  It's been the best thing.  No hormones.  No pregnancies.  No problems.

• Like 3

It is perfectly acceptable to mourn the life you thought you had, and understandable, since Baby will upend the apple cart, so to speak.  Even knowing that you will become head over heels in love with Baby when he/she arrives does not diminish what you feel NOW. 

Plus - you gave away the baby stuff.  Uh oh - you jinxed yourself ;-).   I am 57 and STILL have a crib tucked away in the basement (neighbor got rid of everything when her dd was 11...and then needed it all back the next year!). 

This time around, you have FIVE built-in babysitters to hand!  If any complain, it is childcare class!!!!

Edited to add - long ago, my Dad was what was then called a "menopause" baby.  Grandma was about 42, and her youngest of three was already an adult.  But obviously am glad Dad happened ;-)

Edited by JFSinIL
  • Like 6

Been there, done that. Don't let anyone give you a hard time about not being excited or not feeling the "right" amount of joy about being pregnant. It's ok to feel exactly how you feel and process how you want in your own time.

Dh got the vasectomy he should have gotten after our second child was born just as soon as I was no longer feeling so ill. I love my dd, but if I hadn't felt like I had been backed into a corner by other people's feeling or thoughts or excitement, then I probably would have made different choices.

There are lot of shoulda, coulda, wouldas for me. Dh getting the vasectomy isn't one of them.

I'm sorry. It's not an easy spot to find yourself in.

Edited by mamaraby
  • Like 3

I'm a long time member here, but would prefer to post this anonymously.

I was done having babies. Our family was full. Our house is full. And here we are, pregnant.

I was D.O.N.E. having babies.

I realize there are many here that will find that offensive-for whatever reason. But the fact remains I didn't want a baby. I was enjoying my older kids. I was glad we left the late night feedings, diapers, high chairs, strollers, potty training. I like doing algebra. I'm loving the jokes and the late night conversations. The meaningful interactions. The strategy games, the REAL conversations. My older kids are awesome-I really loved them when they were tiny, but man, being a parent to older kids is a blast!

In 7 months, I'll be fine. I'll be good. We will have this baby. We will love and care for this baby. We will enjoy them.

But in the meantime, I'm sad. I'm scared (seriously, we have no space ANYWHERE in our house for another bed. Our house is literally full. Where are we going to put them? Will we need to buy a "new" house-easier said than done, as we are tied to the land. Any house we find will need to be moved to our location. ) So many changes. I work. I left the last time I had a baby, and only just this year came back. Now, do I leave again? For good? (I know, it's too soon to answer that).

I've been struggling for a while with depression and anxiety. I was finally starting to feel good and normal. Everything was getting easier to cope with. And now,  I need to stop medication-but am truly scared to. How am I going to cope emotionally?

Since I was done-I kept nothing. Not a thing. Just two weeks ago I took the last of the baby things and donated them.

How will I manage school with another baby? I finally got into a good groove with my 5.

I didn't want more kids. We were complete. It's still so new and fresh-and I'm so overwhelmed with the thought of another little one. Please just send me hugs. I know that it WILL be okay, good even. It just isn't yet.

(On a positive note, besides losing all memory capabilities, I really have good easy pregnancies. Physically, I don't look for it to be hard. That's a good thing)

I could have written this 4 years ago. Number 6 was a complete surprise.  I cried for three months hoping and praying I would have a miscarriage. It didn't happen.  The fatigue and morning sickness would get worse with each pregnancy and I just didn't want to be pregnant. So after that I just had to make up my mind to  make the best of it.  Now that he is here I don't regret having him. 

• Like 1

It'll be okay. My MIL got pregnant with DH's brother when she was 42 and thought she was long done having kids. She was upset at the time but she felt afterwards that it was the best thing that could've happened.

I got pregnant with our oldest 2 weeks after DH received admission to grad school. Horrible timing and things were tough when she was a baby, both financially and emotionally. We went through a really rocky patch in our marriage and I think it was pure stubbornness that kept us from divorcing. But we got through it and now it was just a bump in the road.

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

• Like 1

I got a Paraguard IUD 9 years ago. It's been the best thing. No hormones. No pregnancies. No problems.

I need that.

Except, I think I need the hormones, too.

• Like 1