Menu

What approach is best when making a request you think may be rejected...UPDATE #55

Ginevra

Schmooze or Demand?   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Should I be gracious or forthright?

• "Could you please write a prescription so I can get the best price on the fluids?"
    • "I need you to write an Rx so I can get several bags of saline at once for the best price."
    • "Write me an Rx so I can make this treatment as affordable as possible."
    • Some other phrasing and demeanor
    • Change vets (I really don't want to do this).

I want my vet to write a Rx for the fluid bags I am giving to my sick kitty daily. I don't want to pay $15 every week for a bag. At minimum, they are $10/bag if I get them from Doctors Pet Supply. Presumably, there are also cheaper sources, too. But I need the script.

This vet is annoying me, though, in that I have to stay vigilent in order to keep them from making things cost more than necessary. I do keep asking for cheaper options or is this or that is really necessary, but they still "squeeze" in extra costs and it's really irking me.

Anyway, what phrasing do you think is the best way to get cooperation on my money-reducing strategies?

Edited by Quill

I'm afraid that the cost of these meds is going to start impacting my ability to care for Kitty. I see that I can get them for $X at _____. Could you please write a prescription for them or do you have any other ideas to make this treatment more affordable?

Maybe they'd be more willing to offer you the same price instead of losing your business?

• Like 13

I tead somewhere that men prefer "will" to "could". So first option but Will you...

Although the vet I am working with is a female, so maybe "will," maybe "could." "Will" is probably preferable.

• Like 2

I'm afraid that the cost of these meds is going to start impacting my ability to care for Kitty. I see that I can get them for $X at _____. Could you please write a prescription for them or do you have any other ideas to make this treatment more affordable?

Maybe they'd be more willing to offer you the same price instead of losing your business?

This is what I would do. Make it clear you'd prefer to buy from the vet, but price is a big consideration because this isn't a one-time prescription.

• Like 6

Can you avoid the vet altogether and get them on Amazon?  Or, I've even heard that stores like Walmart (maybe that one?  can't quite remember which stores I've seen ads at) take pet prescriptions now.  Maybe you can find a place that has them more cheaply and does them on a subscription basis too.

Can you avoid the vet altogether and get them on Amazon? Or, I've even heard that stores like Walmart (maybe that one? can't quite remember which stores I've seen ads at) take pet prescriptions now. Maybe you can find a place that has them more cheaply and does them on a subscription basis too.

I haven't checked Amazon or Walmart; I would do that if I can. So far, I have only seen it available through Rx, which strikes me as sort of funny. I mean, who the hell wants to do sub-q fluids for fun? I can't really see the risk involved in letting people buy them OTC. Ă°Å¸Ëœ

• Like 2

I might also consider if this is something I could ask indirectly, such as explaining to someone at the front desk that I need a prescription in order to place an order. Then they would pass the message along to the dr on your behalf and give you the slip? This could probably be done over the phone, too. They might tell you when to come by to pick it up. I did something similar but not with a vet's office. Granted in my situation it was not like the doctor's office would be losing business. Is that your concern? That they will be offended you are buying the fluids elsewhere? I'm sure they also sell cat and dog food there but don't expect clients to all purchase from them. Thinking about it in that way might make me feel less awkward about it.

• Like 1

I'd ask nicely, explain to them why in a way that gives them a chance to give me a discount to keep my business, and be prepared to go elsewhere if they rejected my request.

I hate these sorts of confrontational situations, but when it comes to money I JUST DO IT.  They do what they do because of money.  I'm doing what I'm doing because of money.  And I don't believe them when they play dumb.  I've had that happen.  Businesses asking "why I'd want XYZ thing".  Because dim bulb, I want to get the best deal (and you know that and you want the same thing).

• Like 2

I would start with "Could you please..." and if there's resistance, I would head down a firmer path. The wording below is very good, and I would definitely offer them the opportunity to keep my business by lowering the price on the bags themselves. Don't take no for an answer!

• Like 3

I want my vet to write a Rx for the fluid bags I am giving to my sick kitty daily. I don't want to pay $15 every week for a bag. At minimum, they are $10/bag if I get them from Doctors Pet Supply. Presumably, there are also cheaper sources, too. But I need the script.

This vet is annoying me, though, in that I have to stay vigilent in order to keep them from making things cost more than necessary. I do keep asking for cheaper options or is this or that is really necessary, but they still "squeeze" in extra costs and it's really irking me.

Anyway, what phrasing do you think is the best way to get cooperation on my money-reducing strategies?

In my experience working in vet med, we would charge differntly for patients using multiple bags, if they bought multiple bags at a time. So generally by the case, I think? We'd keep the case at the clinic, but it would be labeled and we'd use it just on their pet. So you cold ask if you could get a bulk discount, might be the simplest thing. "Since I'm going to be buying so many, could I order by the case for a discount, or would you please write me a script for the fluids so I can order a larger volume at a lower price?"

• Like 6

I was unaware that vets could refuse to give in Rx unless you filled it with them.  That's crazy and I would switch vets if they refused to comply. There's a pharmacy at my doctor's office.  I am under no obligation to use it.  Why would it be different for vets?  

• Like 6

I was unaware that vets could refuse to give in Rx unless you filled it with them.  That's crazy and I would switch vets if they refused to comply. There's a pharmacy at my doctor's office.  I am under no obligation to use it.  Why would it be different for vets?  

Depends on the state. But do keep in mind that vets have HUGE overhead, precisely because they DO carry all those meds and your doctor doesn't. Not to mention having an onsite lab, X-ray, surgical suite, etc. The overhead is more like a hospital than a doctor's office. It would be more like being in the hospital and asking for a script to get your pain meds elsewhere. 

Also, they aren't trying to screw anyone over, but a small one doctor vet clinic doesn't get the same bulk discount on drugs that say, walmart or costco or Fosters and Smith or whatever other national chains do. So yes, they charge more, because they are paying more. 

• Like 2

are you currently buying them from the vet?  if so, he's making money on them and has an incentive to NOT write a rx for you to get them elsewhere.  I wouldn't even bring money into it.

I would stress I need a rx so I can get them from a source that will work better for you (you don't have to repeatedly come to the vets office . . ) so you can better care for kitty.  (emphasis that as a vet you know he wants what is best for kitty . . . . use manipulative guilt tactics if you have to).

the other option - do you know how much they are in bulk?  how many would you need at a time, and how much would that cost?   can you barter with him for a reasonable cost near that bulk price?  (you aren't having to have  them shipped so no shipping  and no risk of damage in shipping.  nor are you waiting for them to arrive)

I tead somewhere that men prefer "will" to "could". So first option but Will you...

grammatically will is correct.  as I've heard way too many times . . . . "yes I could, but I dont' want to" . .

will is more direct with fewer options to weasel out.

• Like 2

The economics of the vet practice are not the customer's problem.  If I've paid for the visit, that price needs to include the records and any appropriate prescriptions.  If the price is not enough for the vet to make ends meet, the vet needs to charge more.  If the vet's pharmacy can't be run profitably, the vet doesn't have to have a pharmacy (many vet clinics here do not- they only write rx for pharmacies to fill).  

People go to the hospital clinics all the time here and have their prescriptions called out to offsite non-hospital pharmacies.  Your analogy works if the animal is in the hospital but not for a regular visit.  

Truthfully, some vets here run their businesses more like a high-pressure funeral home intent on upselling you at every turn.  Thankfully most vets aren't like that.  But no, I'm not paying 50% more for my pet prescription because a particular vet can't sell it at a competitive price.  And neither should anyone else.  

• Like 6

I wouldn't hesitate.  I'd just call and ask for a prescription, without any explanation at all.  If they inquire the reason, I'd just say that I found an alternative source that fits better in my budget.  

It would never occur to me to worry about whether the vet might be offended.  They're not in the prescription business.  They're in the animal healthcare business.  And, frankly, where you get your meds isn't really their business.  (Likewise, I don't buy our eyeglasses from the optical shop in our optometrist's office.  For many reasons, I choose to buy them elsewhere.  They have no problem writing a prescription.)

FWIW, I try not to manipulate people. If I find myself worrying about whether using the word "will" or "could" is more likely to get me what I want, I realize I am trying to manipulate someone.  I then choose to just be straightforward and politely ask for what I want.  People are usually happy to oblige.

ETA: I would use "Will you please write me a prescription for these fluid bags", over "Could you...", for grammatical reasons (not for subconscious manipulation).   :001_cool:

Edited by Suzanne in ABQ
  • Like 3

I agree that they shouldn't but they do. Our first vet refused to give me a prescription for fluid and would only give it to me in conjunction with an office visit. He was charging me $50 for fluid and $45 for the office visit and said I'd have to come in weekly. He also told me he "called around to the other vets" in the area and that they would refuse as well! He wanted me to ditch the bags after they were only half full too! A normal bag lasts 10 days and he said they were only good for 5. I ended up having to go 30-45min away to a new vet who would write the prescription. I thought about reporting him, but he's so well loved in our area and my cat is fine, and I let it go. He did save her life when she was critical. 

Quill, I found my new vet from a recommendation from another kitty parent whose cat needed subQ. If your vet refuses, you could ask around on local groups. With your vet, it may help to call the pharmacy ahead of time and say that they will fill the prescription and what the price will be. We order a case at a time. You can look for a local pharmacy here: http://www.zzcat.com/CRF/supplies/local.htm

Oh- and before I switched, I did try to order some bags off of Dr Foster online and gave him my vet's number for the prescription. They refused to send the prescription to the company. Costco is cheaper, though. Local will almost always be cheaper because of shipping.

Edited by Paige
  • Like 1

I was unaware that vets could refuse to give in Rx unless you filled it with them. That's crazy and I would switch vets if they refused to comply. There's a pharmacy at my doctor's office. I am under no obligation to use it. Why would it be different for vets?

I don't know that they will refuse, but I have a sneaking suspicion they will try to disuade me. It's small things they have done that makes me feel like they are saying, "Let's get as much money outta this family as we can before Thor dies." Here are some things that feel that way:

1) when he first came in ill and they gave me a quote, I indicated that it was a very large amount of money and anything that wasn't critical I would like to take off. Obviously, he needed the blood work and that was the most expensive item and obviously the office visit charge was necessary. But there were several injections that I asked if we could do another way or not at all, for instance, they wanted to give him a b-12 shot, but I asked to remove that, and there was a drug that I was taking home, but they were going to give him the drug in injectable form at the hospital to start. So they were willing to just give me the meds and skip the shot. In any case, that vet visit was $480, down from over $500.

2) when I brought him back the next week (after the horrible diagnosis), they gave him sub-q fluids while teaching me how to do it at home, Gave me other meds, were willing to only give the Probiotic they offer (I asked about one I could buy for less), and gave him the dang B-12 shot I had refused a week ago. They also said they only had a larger package of one of the meds so "it will be more than I quoted you." This visit was almost $300.00.

3) i stopped in for a refill of one of the meds from the first visit, and also mentioned I needed more fluids. The front desk receptionist said she would go pull the correct fluids for me, but the file was back on the doctor's desk. She came out with the fluid bag, which was going to cost $15. I have tubing and needles still at home. After I was rung up, the doctor came out with needles and tubing and told the receptionist to "charge it as IV kit." I said, "I still have needles left," but I took the tubing. But the receptionist put it on my account as a kit, so really I will pay for the needles I refused! I wish I could say I went, "Wait the hell up! Don't charge me as an IV kit; I'll give back the tubing if you have to do that! I can get the tubing and needles cheaper elsewhere!" But, no I did not do that. I accepted it. I am also annoyed that the vet did not speak to me at all, just the recptionist. She told her how to charge me, but didn't ask about my dang cat!

I'm sorry that's so long; thank you for reading if you've read this far. It's so sad and stressful having the cat so sick and I can't stand anyone acting so mercenary about my beloved pet. I don't expect vets to work for free; I fully expect to pay them for their help and expertise. But geez, do you really need to upcharge every dang thing I do to try and save me pet?

• Like 2

I wouldn't hesitate. I'd just call and ask for a prescription, without any explanation at all. If they inquire the reason, I'd just say that I found an alternative source that fits better in my budget.

It would never occur to me to worry about whether the vet might be offended. They're not in the prescription business. They're in the animal healthcare business. And, frankly, where you get your meds isn't really their business. (Likewise, I don't buy our eyeglasses from the optical shop in our optometrist's office. For many reasons, I choose to buy them elsewhere. They have no problem writing a prescription.)

FWIW, I try not to manipulate people. If I find myself worrying about whether using the word "will" or "could" is more likely to get me what I want, I realize I am trying to manipulate someone. I then choose to just be straightforward and politely ask for what I want. People are usually happy to oblige.

ETA: I would use "Will you please write me a prescription for these fluid bags", over "Could you...", for grammatical reasons (not for subconscious manipulation). :001_cool:

It's interesting to me that you feel word choice is manipulative. I am highly interested in word choice because I think the words people use are not accidental and they have a purpose even if the purpose is subconscious to the speaker. I've actually been thinking philosophically about how words are used by media and in politics, although of course, I cannot share my thoughts on that subject here. ;) I know that words and demeanor, even time of day, can affect how my spouse or kids accept what I say, but I don't think it's manipulative to capitalize on the words and body language I have found most effective; that's just smart. :)

• Like 3

I wouldn't ask. I would state what I need, nicely but firmly and matter of factly. If they say they can't do what I need, then I press them on why.

It's possible before I went in I would take the time to call a few other vet clinics and explain that my cat was on fluids, and ask if my cat was their patient, would they write me a script, just to make sure the request was reasonable.

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 3

I swear... things like this are why I don't really trust vets anymore. :( They're more worried about their bottom line than anything else.

That is why I chose not to go to vet school. I started working as a vet tech my senior year of college. My grades were perfect and I just had a few more weeks before applications for vet school were due when I decided I didn't want to end up feeling forced to push unnecessary things on my patients to make money.

I saw it too much in the hospital I worked for, which was independently owned and one of the best hospitals in the area. The chain places were even worse.

• Like 2

Trust me, if the people working in a vet's office cared more about money than pets they would work in human medicine, it pays WAY better.

I don't think that is true. The pressure and liability are much higher working with humans.

I've seen plenty of veterinarians who did it for the money. Of course there are plenty who did it because they love animals.

• Like 2

I don't think that is true. The pressure and liability are much higher working with humans.

I've seen plenty of veterinarians who did it for the money. Of course there are plenty who did it because they love animals.

The other thing is, certainly a bright young student may want to go into animal medicine because they love animals. They may hope to be different from some they have seen. But they may find that actually working as a vet is a different story and they do, actually, have a bottom line, and they do need to pay off their enormous student loan bill, and it turns out they have their practice in an affluent county in an affluent state and there are people here who would spend thousands on their pets without blinking an eye...who says a vet cannot become as jaded as anyone else. It's not like they can just go, "Okay, nevermind, maybe I'll go into human oncology instead. More lucrative."

I'm sure there are a lot of people, especially at a doctorate level, who started out with certain ideals, yet changed when reality intruded.

• Like 5

It's interesting to me that you feel word choice is manipulative. I am highly interested in word choice because I think the words people use are not accidental and they have a purpose even if the purpose is subconscious to the speaker. I've actually been thinking philosophically about how words are used by media and in politics, although of course, I cannot share my thoughts on that subject here. ;) I know that words and demeanor, even time of day, can affect how my spouse or kids accept what I say, but I don't think it's manipulative to capitalize on the words and body language I have found most effective; that's just smart. :)

Welllll. . . . . I wouldn't say that word choice is *always* manipulative, but it certainly can be. 

I'm thinking of my older dd, when she was little.  She would never directly ask for what she wanted.  If she wanted a drink of water at dinner, she would say something like, "I don't have any water," (usually with a dismayed, whiney voice).  My reply would be, "If you want something, just ask for it. Don't drop hints.  Don't whine about not having it.  Just ask.  You'll get much better results."  She eventually learned to ask for what she wanted, without whining or manipulating anyone to get it.  She still has trouble asking for help (ie. from her professors), but she's working on it.

I think the discussion above of "will" vs. "could" with respect to persuading men is what set my thinking along those lines, and the choices in the poll were all really similar in that they were all ways of saying the same thing ("I don't want to pay your high prices for these fluids, but I feel intimidated by you, so I'm going to try to persuade you to be nice to me and let me get them somewhere else.")  Trying to use just the right words to get someone to bestow favor on me seems manipulative to me.  Doing so with someone who really has no power over me seems counterproductive.

Maybe I've just gotten hard in my old age, but I don't have time for games like that anymore.  I did enough of that when I was younger, but my almost-54-year-old self would just walk into that vet's office, and say, "I need a prescription for the sub- Q fluids I need for my cat.  I can see that you're busy.  I can wait over here, or I could run a couple errands and come pick it up this afternoon.  Which would be better?"  I would be smiling, and confident in my approach.  I would walk in expecting them to give me what I want (because, why wouldn't they?).  I probably wouldn't ask for it; I'd just state that I needed it.  Most likely, they'd just do it.  

If they asked why I needed it, I would tell them I found another source that fit better in my budget.  

If they said, "We can't do that," I would ask why.  If they had a real reason (It's illegal or something) then I'd ask them to help me find a solution to the high cost (discount for buying in bulk, etc).  

If they said the doctor won't let them, or made it sound difficult to get the doctor to do it, I would ask to speak to the doctor.  ("I would like to speak to the doctor.  I'll wait over here.") Then, I would use the exact same approach with the doctor.

They work for you.  Really.  They do.  You've already given them over $900.  If they are manipulating you by using your emotions against you, then you really need to find a different vet.   

~ I would love to chat with you about how the media uses choice words (especially in headlines) to sway the listener/reader to a specific viewpoint, without actually saying anything specific. I see it all the time.  I don't know how we could do it on the Forum, though, without it blowing up.  

• Like 1

Trust me, if the people working in a vet's office cared more about money than pets they would work in human medicine, it pays WAY better.

I understand (me SIL works for a vet) but my vet drives a $150,000 Mercedes and runs a very fancy clinic.

I sometimes drive my pets to my IL's country vet for checkups and teeth cleanings that cost 1/4 as much.

• Like 1

I understand (me SIL works for a vet) but my vet drives a $150,000 Mercedes and runs a very fancy clinic.

I sometimes drive my pets to my IL's country vet for checkups and teeth cleanings that cost 1/4 as much.

I used to go to a vet that was "a country vet". It was a long drive, which made my cats car sick. It was way out in a rural area. The vet himself was a rather backward guy; the office was overrun with cats who lived there in a semi-feral fashion. It stank like urine. He was very affordable. Clearly not mercenary. But he sold his business and I started going to the much closer vet so they would not be car sick.

I actually had a similar experience with dental care for my kids, except in the reverse. Their original pediatric dentist had a very posh office and several dentists working there, as well as an on-site orthodontist. It sounds trivial (because many people take nice vacations; doesn't mean they are mercenary), but he had a digital photo screen in his office that continuously ran through his photos of breathtaking scenery and vacation photos. One day, when he was recommending a very expensive treatment plan for my kid, I was just like - no. I'm getting a second opinion on this issue. I feel like I'm funding your vacations to Hawaii. I switched to "the country dentist", who repaired my dd's teeth for under $200.

• Like 1

Welllll. . . . . I wouldn't say that word choice is *always* manipulative, but it certainly can be.

I'm thinking of my older dd, when she was little. She would never directly ask for what she wanted. If she wanted a drink of water at dinner, she would say something like, "I don't have any water," (usually with a dismayed, whiney voice). My reply would be, "If you want something, just ask for it. Don't drop hints. Don't whine about not having it. Just ask. You'll get much better results." She eventually learned to ask for what she wanted, without whining or manipulating anyone to get it. She still has trouble asking for help (ie. from her professors), but she's working on it.

I think the discussion above of "will" vs. "could" with respect to persuading men is what set my thinking along those lines, and the choices in the poll were all really similar in that they were all ways of saying the same thing ("I don't want to pay your high prices for these fluids, but I feel intimidated by you, so I'm going to try to persuade you to be nice to me and let me get them somewhere else.") Trying to use just the right words to get someone to bestow favor on me seems manipulative to me. Doing so with someone who really has no power over me seems counterproductive.

Maybe I've just gotten hard in my old age, but I don't have time for games like that anymore. I did enough of that when I was younger, but my almost-54-year-old self would just walk into that vet's office, and say, "I need a prescription for the sub- Q fluids I need for my cat. I can see that you're busy. I can wait over here, or I could run a couple errands and come pick it up this afternoon. Which would be better?" I would be smiling, and confident in my approach. I would walk in expecting them to give me what I want (because, why wouldn't they?). I probably wouldn't ask for it; I'd just state that I needed it. Most likely, they'd just do it.

If they asked why I needed it, I would tell them I found another source that fit better in my budget.

If they said, "We can't do that," I would ask why. If they had a real reason (It's illegal or something) then I'd ask them to help me find a solution to the high cost (discount for buying in bulk, etc).

If they said the doctor won't let them, or made it sound difficult to get the doctor to do it, I would ask to speak to the doctor. ("I would like to speak to the doctor. I'll wait over here.") Then, I would use the exact same approach with the doctor.

They work for you. Really. They do. You've already given them over $900. If they are manipulating you by using your emotions against you, then you really need to find a different vet.

~ I would love to chat with you about how the media uses choice words (especially in headlines) to sway the listener/reader to a specific viewpoint, without actually saying anything specific. I see it all the time. I don't know how we could do it on the Forum, though, without it blowing up.

Okay, I see what you mean. I also do not like manipulative phrasing and artifice, like the old-fashioned idea of women who would hint around, rather than just asking. "Well, Jane, you certainly have a lovely pool for your family to enjoy on these hot days...I'm sure the kids love playing with their friends in it." (Trying to induce the neighbor to invite your family for a swim.) Yuck. I don't like that at all.

But I do think it's interesting that you said "no power over me," because that is exactly my problem. The vet does have some power over me, because I need the fluids to keep my cat alive and, because they are Rx, I have no power to obtain them without a vet's assisstance. I grant you, they are not the only vets who exist, but they are the most conveniently located. Look at what Paige wrote - the vet tried to bully her into buying the fluids at a high price from him and said she won't get other vets to help her for less!

I do think getting older has made me better able to be direct and matter-of-fact. I don't much care about being "nice" as I used to. But it is admitedly harder when I'm dealing with something emotional in the first place, i.e., keeping the cat alive. If I were asking for a better rate on, say, replacing my carpet, it would be less difficult.

• Like 3

I'm really sorry that you are in this difficult situation, and that your beloved cat is so ill. Is your cat quite old, and this treatment is to make his last weeks as comfortable as possible, or are you hoping/expecting full recovery?

I think I'd be looking for a different vet for the future, as it does look like this clinic is more money focused than would make me comfortable. I'm not sure I'd do a switch in the middle of palliative care for my cat, though. 

I'd say that there's no harm in trying to get your fluids for a more affordable price. Use what ever wording seems appropriate. Good luck!

Edited by wintermom

I didn't quite mean it that way.  I meant they set up this situation in this way so they can make the money on the prescribed treatment item.  Which I understand them wanting to do.  But I as the customer, also want/need to watch my own money.

I didn't mean they don't care about animals and only want to make money. 

• Like 2

What we need is Universal Health Care.

For pets.

:)

OP, if they are legally required to give you the Rx then they have no power and you'd might as well just be polite and straightforward.  If they are not legally required to give it to you, that is stupid and someone should change that law in your state.

• Like 2

What we need is Universal Health Care.

For pets.

:)

OP, if they are legally required to give you the Rx then they have no power and you'd might as well just be polite and straightforward.  If they are not legally required to give it to you, that is stupid and someone should change that law in your state.

Well, I do think stuff has changed.  Vets no longer HAVE to carry large quantities of items they prescribe because it is easier to get these items in other places.  People are spending more than ever on these items for their pets.  Growing up and some years prior many people would not have dreamed of spending money on any of that.  The vets need to get with the times.  There are services out there where customers can get a much better deal.  They know that. 

• Like 2

I'm really sorry that you are in this difficult situation, and that your beloved cat is so ill. Is your cat quite old, and this treatment is to make his last weeks as comfortable as possible, or are you hoping/expecting full recovery?

I think I'd be looking for a different vet for the future, as it does look like this clinic is more money focused than would make me comfortable. I'm not sure I'd do a switch in the middle of palliative care for my cat, though.

I'd say that there's no harm in trying to get your fluids for a more affordable price. Use what ever wording seems appropriate. Good luck!

He is not old, he is seven. It is not expected that he can possibly make a full recovery and it is expected that he will die/require euthenasia soon. In pragmatic terms, my goal is to see him through to the summer, at least, because DD will be home from college and, if he is indisputably going to die, I would rather it be when she is home. The cat is absolutely precious to her. I had to demonstrate to her and my other kids that I will try to help the cat live to the extent I can manage and can afford.

Honestly, if he were old, this would be somewhat easier because I don't expect pets to live forever and I could come to terms with saying goodbye more easily if he was 15+ years old.

• Like 1

He is not old, he is seven. It is not expected that he can possibly make a full recovery and it is expected that he will die/require euthenasia soon. In pragmatic terms, my goal is to see him through to the summer, at least, because DD will be home from college and, if he is indisputably going to die, I would rather it be when she is home. The cat is absolutely precious to her. I had to demonstrate to her and my other kids that I will try to help the cat live to the extent I can manage and can afford.

Honestly, if he were old, this would be somewhat easier because I don't expect pets to live forever and I could come to terms with saying goodbye more easily if he was 15+ years old.

aww..I'm sorry

• Like 1

Our vets have signs in the examining rooms explaining that they charge a $10 fee to write a prescription to be filled elsewhere.  I suspect most vets have experience with the request and already have a policy; you just haven't yet found out what it is.  Asking directly is the only way to know.

It may vary from state to state, and perhaps laws have changed, but at one time I was able to buy the subcutaneous fluids from the vet supply place in bulk without a prescription.  Lines and needles, too. It was still cheaper than the vet charged, and it was a lot more convenient. 

• Like 1

Okay, I see what you mean. I also do not like manipulative phrasing and artifice, like the old-fashioned idea of women who would hint around, rather than just asking. "Well, Jane, you certainly have a lovely pool for your family to enjoy on these hot days...I'm sure the kids love playing with their friends in it." (Trying to induce the neighbor to invite your family for a swim.) Yuck. I don't like that at all.

But I do think it's interesting that you said "no power over me," because that is exactly my problem. The vet does have some power over me, because I need the fluids to keep my cat alive and, because they are Rx, I have no power to obtain them without a vet's assisstance. I grant you, they are not the only vets who exist, but they are the most conveniently located. Look at what Paige wrote - the vet tried to bully her into buying the fluids at a high price from him and said she won't get other vets to help her for less!

I do think getting older has made me better able to be direct and matter-of-fact. I don't much care about being "nice" as I used to. But it is admitedly harder when I'm dealing with something emotional in the first place, i.e., keeping the cat alive. If I were asking for a better rate on, say, replacing my carpet, it would be less difficult.

I totally understand.  Our vet keeps pushing expensive dental cleaning as a first solution for everything from skin infection to diarrhea, even though it's only been about two years since the last cleaning.  (Cat must be put under general anesthesia, I think, so it's really expensive.)  

Have you looked at the chart that Matrips posted above that shows the vet/scrip regulations in each state?  In Washington, they are required to either give you a paper scrip or call in a scrip to a pharmacy.  (I don't know why I think you live in Washington).  Anyway, knowing the law in your state will go a long way toward giving you what you need to deal with the vet.  If they are required to write you a scrip, then they don't have the power to refuse.  If they do have the power to say no, then I don't know what to tell you, other than ask in a straightforward way, blame the budget (or your dh) rather than appealing to emotions.  If that doesn't work, maybe make a scene in front of their other clients?  I really hope they don't give you any trouble.  They might just be used to customers who don't bat an eye to paying whatever they charge, but as soon as you show some difficulty, they may be helpful.  It's sad, but many businesses do operate that way.  (Sort of like businesses that have strict rules about children, but only enforce them if certain children become unruly).

I do have an idea for the car ride, especially if you end up driving to a vet further away in the future.  We have found that it is very traumatic for our cat to make the trip in a carrier, but if we put a harness on him, and a leash, and ds holds him on his lap, Pumkin is much more calm and actually settles in and sort of enjoys the ride.  Could you do that?

• Like 1

My sister's vet convinced her to buy a special expensive collar for her cat's alleged emotional problems.  His health issues were blamed on emotions.  So she bought it because they guilt trip you.  Cat was put down not long after because the cat had a terminal medical condition.

I don't know.  Maybe the vet believes in the power of the special collar, but then maybe they believe especially in the power of making money on it.  I thought it was hokum.  But I don't tend to buy into such things. 

• Like 1

I don't think there's a profession in the world that consists entirely of people above making as much money as they can.

When I worked at a dog groomer's she charged $5 extra for the fancy shampoo - conditioning or soothing or the tar one or whatever.  Maybe it cost her an extra 15 cents in shampoo.  Just an upsell.  she was on the whole a very fair business owner, too.

• Like 2

I feel like Quill lives in Pennsylvania.

Close, I live in Maryland.

The law on that very informative link (thank you!) is that the vet "may transmit" the prescription to the client's chosen pharmacy if it is not a controlled dangerous substance. (Presumably, saline fluids are not). So, the wording does put the power in the vet's court. They can give me the script if they feel like, but don't have to. :(

I do have an idea for the car ride, especially if you end up driving to a vet further away in the future. We have found that it is very traumatic for our cat to make the trip in a carrier, but if we put a harness on him, and a leash, and ds holds him on his lap, Pumkin is much more calm and actually settles in and sort of enjoys the ride. Could you do that?

Maybe. My other cat has actually pooped, peed AND vomited in the crate on the ride. If that happened, it would certainly not be better in the car than in the crate. But I don't know - maybe not being confined would ease anxiety and would not result in such distress.

I don't personally recommend not crating the cat.  BTDT.  Many years ago we got a cat from a shelter.  One of us held the cat.  Cat wiggled away and crawled under the driver side seat.  Cat could have easily crawled to the area you put your feet on the pedals!  We had to pull over and deal with it.  Then the cat jumped out of the car and we had to chase after it.  It was so chaotic. 

The addition of the leash would probably help.  Although I have a leash.  One of my cats doesn't mind it.  The other is a complete and utter spazz when you put that thing on. 

• Like 1

Close, I live in Maryland.

The law on that very informative link (thank you!) is that the vet "may transmit" the prescription to the client's chosen pharmacy if it is not a controlled dangerous substance. (Presumably, saline fluids are not). So, the wording does put the power in the vet's court. They can give me the script if they feel like, but don't have to. :(

Well, that changes things, doesn't it.  Forget everything I said, and put forth all your best manipulative tactics!  (just kidding)

Simply ask for the script.  If they give you a hard time, tell them you would like to buy it from a less expensive source.  If they still refuse, ask if they have any way of helping you cut the cost (buying three or four bags at once, for instance, or remind them that they overcharged you for the "kit", so they owe you either some needles or a partial refund).  If not, either start getting emotional (yelling or crying or both), or just resolve to keep forking out the extra $5.00 a bag.  Grrrrr.  

What a hard place to be.  I feel for you.  I hate these situations.  They make my stomach hurt and I lose sleep.  {{hug}}

• Like 1