Menu

Veritas press question

3girls4me

Hi everyone

I'm trying to combine my girls next year for history for the first time in awhile. I will have a 7th, 4th and 2nd grader. I was thinking Biblioplan, but after talking to a friend today, I'm considering VP. I'm not sure if I will use the self-paced online or not. I may just use the cards and the suggested books and maybe the lesson plans. What I'm wondering is if this would be enough for a seventh grader. Would I need to beef it up and if so, how would you go about that? Just add more books? My oldest will be taking literature and composition at a local tutorial, so i'm not worried about those components. It's only the history I'm concerned with.

Thanks!

I spent a bit of time at the VP booth during a convention last week. I learned that the grammar level history cycle is written for grades 2-6. For example, the first year (Old Testament and Ancient Egypt) was written for the 2nd grader, but can be used through 6th. The next year was written for the 3rd grader, but again could be used for 2nd - 6th. I would think you could include a 7th grader in the mix. You might want to require more reading or projects at that level.

The book choices include things like Streams of Civilization (a 9th grade book). You could also add extra books from the TOG or Sonlight book lists.

We will be using Old Testament and Ancient Egypt for 4th and 1st grade. The 1st grader won't be required to do much. We will not use the Self-Paced computer plans. We chose to use the scripted lesson plans and I'll do the teaching. If you're still unsure, I'd recommend calling VP. They have been very helpful each time I've called.

We have used VP for history for much of our homeschooling - both the self paced courses and the cards/lesson plans.  With the literature added in, it made a complete history program for us when we combined our kids who were 3 grade levels apart.  The cards list some additional resources to beef it up, and we were never at a loss for finding ways to dig deeper on cards the kids were more interested in.  I thought it worked pretty well for a variety of ages.