Menu

What book have you read that was "unputdownable?" The book you blazed through?

unsinkable

The book to which you couldn't wait to return? The book you thought about every time you weren't reading it?

The modern Mrs. Darcy had a recent post about unputdownable books and a list.

http://modernmrsdarcy.com/unputdownable/

I recently had one myself:

Old World Murder by Kathleen Ernst. It is about a woman who works at a living history museum who is drawn into a unexpected death and worse...!

I loved it, and I am thrilled that is is part of an entire series. So far, all the ones I've read are pretty unputdownable.

http://www.kathleenernst.com/chloe_ellefson.php

Edited by unsinkable
  • Like 7

This was on MMD's list:  The Likeness.   Or really anything by Tana French.  If all goes well tonight, I'll finish one of her books tonight - not the last published, but the last one I've had unread.  And then I'll be waiting anxiously for a new release. 

• Like 4

Oh it's the best when a book you are super into turns out to be part of a series!

Off the top of my head, Good Omens by Gaiman and Pratchett. It just got funnier and funnier.

Okay, I'll be the odd one. My favourites:

Neurology Pearls, by Andrew J. Waclawik MD and Thomas P. Sutula MD.

Puswhisperer: A Year in the Life of an Infectious Disease Doctor, by Mark Crislip

And the riveting sequel:

Puswhisperer II: Another Year of Pus,

by Mark Crislip

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, by John M. Barry

The one I hated: The Game of Thrones series. Yeah, yeah, I know, It's a wonderful series, perhaps one of the best ever in its genre. I just couldn't hang in there long enough to care about the characters. :o

Edited by trulycrabby
  • Like 4

I get this with books that are really light. So, like, The Night Circus or a lot of YA books - certainly anything by John Green or David Levithan.

But also with books that are sort of train wrecks of insanity. So like, Geek Love or The Goldfinch.

• Like 3

Okay, I'll be the odd one:

Puswhisperer: A Year in the Life of an Infectious Disease Doctor, by Mark Crislip

And the riveting sequel:

by Mark Crislip

The Great Influenza: The Story of the Deadliest Pandemic in History, by John M. Barry

Puswhisperer.

Wow, that is an excellent title!

• Like 4

Learning to Swear in America is another light ya novel that is really good. It's about a teenage Russian genius that works with NASA to save the planet from an asteroid.

The Lives of Tao series is about aliens that live in humans or any other life form. They communicate with their hosts but also need them to fight their civil war for them.

Mmmmm, books 🤓

"Crime and Punishment" by Dostoyevsky. And all of Thomas Eidson novels. He is AMAZING. Also, on the totally other end of the spectrum, there is "Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog)," by Jerome K Jerome, and "Cold Comfort Farm," by Stella Gibbons.

• Like 1

Years ago I happened upon 'Follow The River' by James Alexander Thom. I started it sitting outside at 3pm and only got up to go in the house when it was too dark to read. Finished up about 2 in the morning.

Hatchet by Gary Paulson I was pre-reading before giving it to my young son. I swallowed it whole it seemed. :)  

The Martian was a gripping and compelling read for me.

What a pleasure it is to read a great story!

• Like 3

The Name Of The Wind by Patrick Rothfuss.  He is a master storyteller- captured me with the very first chapter.

The second book The Wise Man's Fear was almost as good as the first.

If he ever gets that third book published I can't wait to see the story resolve. 

I have this t-shirt (the one on the left) and Tak, too! 

I agree that Rothfuss is a remarkably skilled storyteller, although I could have done without the adult scenes in the second book. We're waiting on the third book here, too...

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 3

This was on MMD's list: The Likeness. Or really anything by Tana French. If all goes well tonight, I'll finish one of her books tonight - not the last published, but the last one I've had unread. And then I'll be waiting anxiously for a new release.

I just finished The Likeness and I'm a huge fan of Tana French after reading her first two books. Can't wait to read the rest!

• Like 2

The last Harry Potter book.

I reread the first 6 in preparation.

Then I went to a great release party in Santa Cruz.

We drove home, and I read until I absolutely could not stay awake, probably 3:30AM ish.

Then the next morning I got up and read until I finished the book.

I bought the last book the morning after its release and finished around midnight. DH stole it while I was making lunch and read the ending. (Sigh. I threatened to hex him if he spoiled anything.) It was fun to read them all again consecutively a few years ago at a more leisurely pace. Edited by GalaxyGal
  • Like 3

I have so many. I'm not a voracious reader but when I find something that grabs me...git outta my way.

I have to say, I really made a good try at Harry Potter but it DIDNT grab me. I'm glad I tried, and that after I couldnt go on anymore that I read the spoilers, because so much has become part of popular culture and now I know what people are talking about.

Im a sucker for l.o.n.g historical fiction, biography, history, or well written fictional series like Wendell Berry's or Peter Wimsey. Just leave me alone if I am in the middle of one of those books.

I have so many. I'm not a voracious reader but when I find something that grabs me...git outta my way.

I have to say, I really made a good try at Harry Potter but it DIDNT grab me. I'm glad I tried, and that after I couldnt go on anymore that I read the spoilers, because so much has become part of popular culture and now I know what people are talking about.

Im a sucker for l.o.n.g historical fiction, biography, history, or well written fictional series like Wendell Berry's or Peter Wimsey. Just leave me alone if I am in the middle of one of those books.

Yup, a couple of those books and a week at a cottage near the ocean by yourself with maid service...

• Like 2

I get this with books that are really light. So, like, The Night Circus or a lot of YA books - certainly anything by John Green or David Levithan.

But also with books that are sort of train wrecks of insanity. So like, Geek Love or The Goldfinch.

Yeah, I read Geek Love straight through only because I knew I never wanted to have to pick up that book again and yet, I needed to know how it ended. 

• Like 3

Okay, I'll be the odd one. My favourites:

And the riveting sequel:

by Mark Crislip

The one I hated: The Game of Thrones series. Yeah, yeah, I know, It's a wonderful series, perhaps one of the best ever in its genre. I just couldn't hang in there long enough to care about the characters. :o

I really enjoy Mark Crislip's posts on science based medicine. How did I miss that he had books?

• Like 2

I am about to read hillbilly elegy for book club so I am happy to see it get mention here

Books I had difficulty putting down:

Seabiscuit

Unbroken

A Woman of Substance

Clan of the Cave Bear (I've read the whole series, kind of downhill after the first one but the original trilogy is worth it)

The Boys in the Boat

The Swans of Fifth Avenue

Deer Hunting with Jesus (a collection of essays)

1000 Splendid Suns

Books I hated but other people seem to love and adore:

Water for Elephants

The Time Travelers Wife

Nectar in a Sieve

Outlander

• Like 1

Some of my favorites. :001_wub:

I was so disappointed when the stuff by her son turned out to be unreadable.

I just pretend those never happened. Like the last Jean Auel book. They were just such an incredibly terrible departure. 

• Like 4

The Hunger Games series.  My sister gave them to me, and I read them in a weekend.  DH texted my sister on Saturday night, "Homewrecker."  Apparently, he wanted me to make food, and talk to the kids, and stuff! 

It wasn't that they were so well-written.  It was that I needed to find out what was going to happen.

• Like 8

I have this t-shirt (the one on the left) and Tak, too! 

I agree that Rothfuss is a remarkably skilled storyteller, although I could have done without the adult scenes in the second book. We're waiting on the third book here, too...

Totally agree about the adult scenes.  

When he released the first book he said he had the whole story already written and it just needed some editing to put all three books together.  It took five years for the second one to come out, and then the novella with the side story... I'm not holding my breath for book three.  At least he is fairly young so I'm not as concerned about Rothfuss expiring before he finishes the story.   :glare:

• Like 2

Totally agree about the adult scenes.  

When he released the first book he said he had the whole story already written and it just needed some editing to put all three books together.  It took five years for the second one to come out, and then the novella with the side story... I'm not holding my breath for book three.  At least he is fairly young so I'm not as concerned about Rothfuss expiring before he finishes the story.   :glare:

I agree as well, and I don't usually have a problem with adult scenes! They just seemed so out of place in the story line. I was totally enthralled with the first book, but big chunks of the second book left me scratching my head, while the rest was the same amazing writing. I'm still eagerly awaiting the third book but am hoping it's more like the first than the second. 

• Like 4