Menu

Master Bathtub: JETTED or SOAKER?

Miss Cornelia Snook

Y'all were so helpful with my kitchen island question, I thought I'd poll you on the tub question.  My husband and I have never had a master bath with a tub, and I'm not a bath person (never have time for that!).  My only experience with a jetted tub was at the birth center when I delivered my last baby almost 5 years ago.  Come to think of it, that was my last time IN a bathtub...  We're in the dark here!

In the model homes I've looked at (admittedly few), I've only seen soaker tubs installed.  It makes me wonder if they know something I don't know?  How hard is it to clean a jetted tub?  How does it affect resale value?

So, what do you think?

Jetted tubs can be a pain to clean and can lead to mold and/or bacterial growth issues. We have soaker tubs in our master suite and in one of our guest suites (the other has only a walk in shower).

Edited by LMV

I prefer a soaker tub, and when we bought last year - that factored into the decision to choose our current home. I didn't trust that the jets would be clean enough for my family, we are sensitive to molds, etc, and trusting someone else's standards re: mold made me nervous.

Not that I'm opposed to jets. In a hot tub. With chlorine. :)

I have a jetted tub with a heater.  yes, it's a pain to clean, but I like the recirculating heater, and other reasons I like the jets.  some of the newer and higher end ones are more "bubbles" - and less nozzle jets.  easier to clean.

both of my daughters have a soaker -  they don't have to clean jets.  (one chose it, one it came with her house - her master only has a large shower - the big soaker is in the "kids" bathroom.)

the bigger question - do you have a separate shower?  or integrated?

separate garden tub is much easier to keep clean than an integrated with the shower that has a couple showers in it every day.  (and dh uses it to clean air filters . . . :glare:   if I'd known he'd start doing that, I might have gotten a soaker.)

Well, I *love* the bath. So, I'm biased. I have to have a bath tub. I used it every day. Sometimes twice, lol.

We went with a large, jetted tub. The funny thing was that I was feeling frugal and overwhelmed, so I ordered the large, comfortable soaker tub . . . and when I mentioned it to dh that night, all proud of myself for being frugal, he was like "no jets??" and had such a sad, sad face!! In the 10,001 choices I made during our renovations/additions, dh really cared about almost none of it. Whatever you want, dear . . . But . . . he really wanted a jetted tub! Of all things!! Although he's not a DAILY tub-user, he LOVES the jets. So, I cancelled the soaker tub order and ordered the jetted tub. We are both happy.

Oh, also, if you are getting the tub, for God's sake, get a hand held shower head as well! It drives me INSANE when I'm in a tub w/o one. I actually bathe/wash in the tub routinely, and having the handheld shower head makes washing my hip-length hair a BREEZE. It's also INCREDIBLY helpful when you are cleaning the tub. I would never, ever, ever put in a big nice tub w/o a hand held shower. ! I'm pretty sure the only people who do that don't know better because they NEVER USE THE TUB, lol. This is a relatively small upgrade but it MUST be done at installation!!! (Same with the heater.)

Thing is, if you want a jetted tub, you really want it HEATED -- otherwise they cool off pretty quick with all the moving water. Also, choose what sorts of jets you want. A cheap builder grade jetted tub only will have about 3 jets on each side, left and right. NONE on your back! What's the good in that? So, IMHO, if you want jets, go for it, and get a really nice tub. We got one with extra jets on the back (in addition to the ones on the sides) and an "in line heater" so the hot water stay hot, forever. We love, love, love the tub. I also choose one that is symmetrical so two people can use it, one at each end (legs overlap/ but it's plenty big enough for us two normal -- not overweight -- sized people). 

If you rarely use a tub to bathe, and don't aim for the hot tub whenever you are at a nice hotel, then a soaker tub is probably sufficient. MANY people don't use the tub in the Master EVER. If that'd be you guys, then, really, just go for a giant fancy shower with two shower heads and room for a Party for Two, lol. (Of course, *I* would never buy your house . . . but I am a rare bird in my affinity for tubs.)

• Like 1

Half the jetted tubs I see in people's houses don't work, and they never bother to get them fixed.  To me they are just one more thing to go wrong.  But I don't like them, anyway, so I would never get them.

If you don't like baths yourself and no one in your home cares, I wouldn't bother.  Harder to clean and maintain, more expensive, and if you sell they aren't really a feature - half the people will like them and half loathe them.

Good points here.  We do have a large (two-person) shower going in, with two shower heads, in addition to the large tub.  So that's what will surely get used on a daily basis. The tub, doubtful we'll use it much.  I'm not very good at cleaning, and we have hard water, so my first thought it that a soaker would be the best choice. 

Hm, my husband loves hot tubs, though.  He'll probably want a good quality jetted tub and just use it infrequently.

Good points in your posts!  Thank you for your help!

I prefer a soaker tub, and when we bought last year - that factored into the decision to choose our current home. I didn't trust that the jets would be clean enough for my family, we are sensitive to molds, etc, and trusting someone else's standards re: mold made me nervous.

Not that I'm opposed to jets. In a hot tub. With chlorine. :)

We do have a jacuzzi/hot tub but that has a built in sanitation system.

• Like 1

We recently redid our master bath and replaced the jetted tub with a soaker. The jets were a pain to keep clean, we hardly ever took baths, and it was expensive. The tub requires an access panel to get at the plumbing/heating elements or it would be a fire hazard. It was difficult getting in and out of it, too. 

I like the soaker and I get more use out of it than the other tub. I'm trying to destress these days, so I try to take an epsom salt bath a couple times a week to relax.

I have a jetted tub with a heater. yes, it's a pain to clean, but I like the recirculating heater, and other reasons I like the jets. some of the newer and higher end ones are more "bubbles" - and less nozzle jets. easier to clean.

both of my daughters have a soaker - they don't have to clean jets. (one chose it, one it came with her house - her master only has a large shower - the big soaker is in the "kids" bathroom.)

the bigger question - do you have a separate shower? or integrated?

separate garden tub is much easier to keep clean than an integrated with the shower that has a couple showers in it every day. (and dh uses it to clean air filters . . . :glare: if I'd known he'd start doing that, I might have gotten a soaker.)

The en suite bathrooms with soaker tubs all have separate walk in showers. Some of our other "kid bathrooms" have tub with shower combos. I have actually never seen a jetted garden tub with shower combo. I really didn't know that was an option (even if I am tending to agree that it seems like a bad option).

I worked in a hospital ward once where EVERY SINGLE PATIENT got a secondary infection.  Investigators were brought in, swabs and fancy lab work was done. It was the jetted therapy tub.  Even people who had never been in the room with it it got infected.  Patients got antibiotics, the tub was professionally sanitized.  It happened again.  Someone from the tub company came in.  It happened again.  Someone ran 3 gallons of bleach through the jets overnight. It happened again. The entire tub was replaced by the tub company. It happened again.  We got rid of the therapy tub and I haven't sat a jetted tub since.  Get a soaker tub unless you like the idea of bathing in your own toilet.  Technically you won't be infecting yourself, because it's your germs.  But yuck.  If you do go for the jets, do not consider yourself clean unless you shower afterwards and wash every bit of skin that got in the tub with a washcloth and soap.  Friction gets bacteria off, not rinsing.

I loved my soaker tub. I love taking long hot baths while reading a book.

Then I moved and got an extra long one that I just slide down in until I'm completely submerged. Not helpful for soaking and reading.

With either tub, I loved giving kids baths in the larger tubs, cause they didn't splash water out as easily and they had more room to play. It was practically a pool for them! 

Can't comment on the jets, but I suspect that I'd love them.

We got a long soaker in our last house when we had a say. We didn't want the technology to deal with. It breaks and at the time I was more autoimmune compromised and do every germ I met gave me a skin infection.

We moved and have a soaker that is deeper and shorter and I like the shape better. BUT I wish it were undermount because that is so much easier and safer to get in and out of and there is tub-side seating for dressing. And it is plastic and I don't like that. I'd get porcelain if I could.

I have a jetted tub.  I think in 7 years I used it 2x.  It was here when we bought the place.  I wouldn't spend money on it though.

In terms of cleaning, it's not really that much more work.

Deep tubs are a royal pain either way.  When we have the money, I plan to rip out the deep jetted tub because cleaning it is such a damn pain.  I have to get into the tub to clean it.  So let's just say it doesn't get a thorough scrubbing all that often.

I worked in a hospital ward once where EVERY SINGLE PATIENT got a secondary infection.  Investigators were brought in, swabs and fancy lab work was done. It was the jetted therapy tub.  Even people who had never been in the room with it it got infected.  Patients got antibiotics, the tub was professionally sanitized.  It happened again.  Someone from the tub company came in.  It happened again.  Someone ran 3 gallons of bleach through the jets overnight. It happened again. The entire tub was replaced by the tub company. It happened again.  We got rid of the therapy tub and I haven't sat a jetted tub since.  Get a soaker tub unless you like the idea of bathing in your own toilet.  Technically you won't be infecting yourself, because it's your germs.  But yuck.  If you do go for the jets, do not consider yourself clean unless you shower afterwards and wash every bit of skin that got in the tub with a washcloth and soap.  Friction gets bacteria off, not rinsing.

Wow, Katy--that's scary!  Thank you for telling me this!

• Like 1

Just curious if the infection situation did actually improve when the tubs were removed. There are all kinds of germs in a hospital anyway. How would they know that it was the tubs that were the biggest factor?

• Like 1

Just curious if the infection situation did actually improve when the tubs were removed. There are all kinds of germs in a hospital anyway. How would they know that it was the tubs that were the biggest factor?

They could tell from the bacteria counts on the cultures of the tub vs the cultures of every other place on the ward.  And yes, the infections were all completely resolved afterwards, though it took 6-8 months to figure this all out before they finally removed the tub.

• Like 1

They could tell from the bacteria counts on the cultures of the tub vs the cultures of every other place on the ward.  And yes, the infections were all completely resolved afterwards, though it took 6-8 months to figure this all out before they finally removed the tub.

So glad they figured this out and saved future patients having problems!

• Like 1

DH is a contractor and master plumber. He says the era of jetted tubs is past. Few people put them in new builds (here, at least). I have a jetted tub and I concur. The jets are always icky.

We put in a jetted tub when we remodeled about 12 years ago; it was a compromise--I wanted a hot tub and DH did not.  We have very hard water.  I have not found the jets to be difficult to clean and we have had not problem with them.  I am usually one who picks appliances with the fewest features possible so that there are fewer things to go wrong.  But, I love my jetted tub.  We had a soaker tub at a previous house and I didn't find it any nicer than a regular sized bath tub--just took longer to fill up with water.