Menu

Can a student still take out a loan at a no loan school?

Ann.without.an.e

DD's least expensive option so far is a school that also doesn't calculate loans  :hurray:   The problem, we have three other kids and some medical issues, etc. and we are not sure we can swing our end of the contribution.  I feel terrible asking DD to take a small loan, but I wonder if this is an option?  Can she still use a Stafford loan to take on a little of the cost (maybe 2-3,000 a year?).  We are hoping for a way to avoid this but I want to be prepared just in case we simply can't.   :confused1:

• Like 1

I look forward to hearing your answer. My kids have received offers in the past with only partial loan amts offered. The gap has always been too large anyway, so it hasn't been worth it to follow up. Thankfully our kids have all managed to attend without loans. But, I have wondered about this and would like to be able to answer parents' questions about this.

• Like 1

As long as the school participates in the Federal loan program and her benefits do not exceed the cost of attendance, she should be able to get a loan. Because Stafford loans are administered at the school level, the best way to confirm this is to call the financial aid office of the school.

Edited by JanetC
  • Like 1

As long as the school participates in the Federal loan program and her benefits do not exceed the cost of attendance, she should be able to get a loan. Because Stafford loans are administered at the school level, the best way to confirm this is to call the financial aid office of the school.

Thank you. That "exceeds COA" is probably the missing link. If your familial contribution is "met" with less than full student loan, that is probably why the loan $$ amt is less than (or $0).