Menu

Moving out of the dorm during finals? (new question in post #15)

Night Elf

Dd doesn't yet know her final exam schedule so she doesn't know what day she wants to move out. Finals end on May 4th and dorms close at noon on May 6th. I bet lots of people move out on the 5th or the morning of the 6th so I'd like to avoid that if I can. If she is finished with exams before May 4th, can we move her out even though others in her dorm may still be taking exams?

Edited by Night Elf

In our experience, each student moves out anytime after their last final. Either asap or a day or two later. There is usually a sign up sheet for a time to have a room inspected (when their side is empty) by the RA - your student signs up for whatever slot will work for them.

• Like 5

In our experience, each student moves out anytime after their last final. Either asap or a day or two later. There is usually a sign up sheet for a time to have a room inspected (when their side is empty) by the RA - your student signs up for whatever slot will work for them.

At my sons' university, they require you to move out by 24 hours after your last final - whenever that may be.  So many students are moving out while others are still taking exams.  

• Like 1

Ds's school has required they move out within 24 hours of their last final too. Dd's last final has been in an evening class both semesters and so she has spent the night and left the next morning. 

I really wouldn't expect Saturday to be crazy busy for move outs. Many kids will have finished finals before that and will be long gone. From our experience, moving out isn't like moving in. It isn't done all in one day, so there is never that level of insanity.

• Like 1

Count me as another who is surprised she doesn't know her final exam schedule.  I didn't know they could wait that long to publish it.  I had friends who scheduled their classes based upon the final exam schedule so that they wouldn't have any back-to-back finals. 

I have never heard of giving only 24 hours after one's last final.  All the schools we have dealt with had a date you had to be out of the dorms which was 24 hours after the last final the university offered.  What if there are siblings at a college with different final exam schedules, but would be leaving the same time? (My sister and I had that.  I was in an apartment and she was in a dorm.  She was done, but had to wait for me to finish so that we could go home together.)  Some kids could not coordinate transportation to coincide that exactly with finals. 

• Like 2

I was an RA and then the head RA at a state school eons ago.

We had students moving out all different days. Frankly it was a headache trying to study for and take our own finals and check everyone out because we had to do a room walkthrough with them.

I put a sign-up sheet with a pencil on the community bulletin board that they had to sign up on. It was expected that the head RA and other RA's would help each other out near the end as we finished our own finals. I imagine that is done electronically now.

The RA's then had two days after everyone had moved out to finish up the paperwork and pack up our own rooms. The cafeteria was closed by then, but the Dean of Housing provided us with lunch both of those days out of her own pocket (small school). She was a wonderful boss!

• Like 1

I'm sure dd is just being lazy in not looking up the finals schedule put up by the school. I did it myself just now and it looks like her last exam is Tue. May 2nd from 7pm to 10pm. She'll want the next day to pack so maybe we can move her out that late afternoon or early on Wed. May 3rd.

The housing site has no information on move out rules, so I have no idea what to expect. It has lots of information about move in. I'll have her ask the RA about room inspection and how she's supposed to leave the room.

I didn't know if moving out while people are studying was a good idea but I just remembered it's a moot point anyway. Her dorm has been under remodeling the outside brick work since the Christmas break. They work from 9:00am to 6:00pm Monday through Saturday. It makes studying in the rooms difficult. Lots of the residents are wanting partial refunds. I don't blame them.

• Like 1

OT - how can she not yet know her final exam schedule? Aren't those times already established at the beginning of the semester?

My Dd's school just released their final exam schedule.  This is her fifth semester there and the final exam schedule has never been released before mid-semester.  I cannot understand why they wait so long.

The university where I teach sets the final exam schedule at the beginning of the semester, but I have one class this semester that is at an odd time and was not on the official schedule.  I realized that when I was putting together my syllabus and contacted my department chair, dean, and the registrar's office.  I was not assigned a time and a classroom for that final exam until this week.  It was driving me (and some of my students) crazy.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Dd is waiting to talk to her RA. She scheduled her check-out date and she's moving out 3 days before her roommate. The instructions say the room has to be put back to original arrangement and everything of hers moved out before her appointment. Their room is a hot mess! Even if we get there and pack everything of hers and move it out, her roommate's stuff is spilled all over the place. What is your experience with rearranging furniture if one roommate is moving out much earlier than the other? I told dd that she and her roommate might need to move it all back before the day she moves. She's going to ask her RA what to do. The roommate said as long as dd lowered her bed back to original position, she'd move everything back to original position but the way the instructions were worded, dd can't get past her inspection without her side of the room being fixed and she can't just do her side because of the position of all the furniture being moved around.

at my sons U , each person has to have the furniture in the room, doesn't matter where. If they bunk the beds they can leave it. damage is split between all occupants, so the students take exit photos to compare with entry photos so there are no surprises. Your dd might want to clarify things with the RA.