Menu

The Chaparral Teachers Lounge 2-23-2017

scrapbookbuzz

Good morning, all!

Today's theme comes from the fact that I went on an hour long hike this morning in the foothills which are currently covered

with brittlebush AND chaparral. So there ya go.

Anyone like to go for hikes? Here: yes, and I don't get to go often enough!

Where do you like to hike? Here: there are several well maintained trailheads here. Sadly, I didn't take advantage of them until a few years ago and we've been here 18 years! I also, though, when I have the opportunity, like to go meander the woods by myself. It's peaceful.

If you don't hike, what do you like to do for exercise? Here: dance!

Talk to me! :bigear: 

• Like 2

Thanks for explaining what chaparral is. I had no idea. I'm still not exactly sure what it looks like, but I'll do a google search.

I love hiking, and all its associated forms (i.e., snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, orienteering, rock climbing, bush-whacking, canoeing/kayaking). Mountain biking is pretty fun, too.

I'd like to try something sort of similar, too, cave hiking/exploring or spelunking. 

• Like 3

We like to hike. We make an annual hike around a wetland preserve nearby, enjoyed hiking in Garlands National Park as well as the Black Hills, and Devil's Tower areas. We have done some in the Keewenaw Peninsula, as well Smokey Mountains, Yellowstone, and n u numerous areas around Lake Michigan.

Since ds and I have permanent injuries from the car accident, we have to restrict ourselves to beginner paths, beaches, and the like no longer accompanying Dh and the other two boys.

We love to kayak!

In the winter, the other three ski and snowboard. Ds and I have gym memberships. Not ideal but we can workout in a way that is safe for us.

Edited by FaithManor
  • Like 2

I like to hike but have only done a little through the years. I'm not a big outdoors person, but I think it's because we have such heat and humidity here in middle GA. I love being outside when the weather is nice and crisp instead of sweltering. 

We have several state parks with hiking trails within driving distance, but again heat makes it less enjoyable. You'd be surprised how soon the humidity comes here. 

For other exercise, we have an elliptical that I don't get on enough. Sometimes I walk on the campus where ds does swim. 

• Like 2

I'm not a hiking fan because it is outside.  And there is dirt.  And sweat.  I'm allergic to my own sweat.

For exercise, I walk around my house and read.  Kills two bird with one stone.  I go on a PokeWalk every day with my middle son which, granted, is outside, but it's got a purpose more than just walking so I don't mind so much.  And I'm a black belt in taekwondo.

I enjoy hiking, but don't do too much anymore do to serious disc issues and sciatica. I had surgery 15 years ago and I suspect that the disc has continued to weaken. I am seriously limited in what exercise I can do. Even a brisk walk can bring on the sciatica. Or gentle swimming, the seniors/arthritis water aerobics, yoga, any kind of gym workout...

Sometimes I am ok for the moment and spend the whole night afterwards in pain. I hate this!!!! I hate not being in decent shape. I was an athlete my whole life until 15 years ago.  :crying:  I am hoping that a chiropractor who comes highly recommended can help me with this, as soon as I can save the money for an appt. I have tried docs, pt, chiros, acupuncture for years. No help.

I do some gentle hikes with my kids in our very large city parks. Or sign them and Dh up for more strenuous ones with the Nature Center programs!

• Like 2

Told my ds12 he and I are going on a Mom and Son field trip, to a sports expo & boat show. He grumbled.

Too bad. told him if he stayed home, he'd have to do homework, to which he said, "okay" but then I said I still hadn't

decided if I'd let him stay home.  But have now decided he's going to go with me!

• Like 2

Can I join the lounge?  (How did I never notice this was here?)

My husband was an avid hiker before we met.  Although I have knee and ankle problems (and now a hip issue), I learned to enjoy hiking, at least up to my ability.  Most of our family vacations have centered around being outside.  Near us, we try to hit up the local forest preserves and the Arboretum several times a year.  We also try get in the car at least once a year to go to Starved Rock State Park and Devil's Lake State Park. Our favorite hikes have been Custer State Park (such a variety of hikes), Wendy Trail in Newbury Park CA, Acadia National Park, and the Grand Canyon (Hermit Trail.)  My favorite hike  is someplace I really can't remember where it was (Colorado maybe?), but we hiked through an area that was flush with Aspens.  When the wind blew, it sounded like applause.  We stopped and listed to it for a long time (good thing since my knees needed a rest.)  Dd was probably 6 or 8 at the time and she said that the trees were clapping for God because the place was so beautiful. 

For exercise, I love, love, love rock climbing.  Since I live in the suburbs of flatlandia, this means climbing in a gym.  I also walk the dog for about 45 minutes to an hour each day and am trying to squeeze in some yoga classes.  That seems to be having the most positive impact on my mental health (if I find the right instructors who go at the right pace.) 

• Like 3