Menu

Please Help. Supplements to encourage weight gain & growth...

jewellsmommy

This is my challenge: I need supplements that will encourage weight gain and growth. But there are lots of complications.

Ds is currently in a facility (we are still his guardians, but its a weird situation). He has lost some weight and has always been on the small side in general. I am working with the nutritionist there. I had gotten him the Boost drinks, and then the facility started providing it (because there are weird rules for outside contribution of food etc). This went well up until recently. He no longer wanted the 3 flavors that Boost comes in. They got the Boost Breeze. He isn't drinking it (according to them) but he told me that he did like it and was drinking it. :confused1:  So the nutritionist is investigating it, but I'm pretty sure that we will find that the nurses are accurate and he hasn't been drinking it.  He is 13.5 yrs old, 68 lbs and 56 inches tall.

The nutritionist has gotten me permission to bring in supplements until we find one that will work, and then they will probably order it for him (again their rules). So I need some help. I can't control the daily menu under this situation, obviously, so only snacks/supplements. I already give regular snacks to the therapist. She sees him 3 days a week and gives them freely to him during sessions (stuff like snack cakes, slim jims, applesauce pouches, nuts, poptarts, trail mix, chips.... fun stuff that's not very nutritious for the most part :tongue_smilie:).

So this will be for daily consumption: morning and evening. Any advice welcome (except for take him out of there and bring him home... for very complex reasons that is not an option)

The complications:

Not Boost (he's sick of it)

Not Pediasure (he will feel insulted)

Must be sealed/pre-packaged

Can't be something that has to be mixed, no powders

Avoid weird textures or after tastes (he is picky)

Needs to come in a variety of flavors that we can cycle through (he tires quickly and will refuse it)

Preferably high protein 

I am looking at carnation instant breakfast, but the premade doesn't have a lot of variety.  :glare:  And he is not too big on chocolate. 

Thank you in advance. My brain is fried and I have decision fatigue or something. I am just so over this right now.

Cliff bars, protein bars, and similar are good tasting and provide a lot of protein. They are expensive, though, which may be why the therapist doesn't give these. You could check with the facility to make sure these are alright for your ds before going out and buying any.

• Like 2

I just realized you need something that comes in several flavors and I think the Nesquik only comes in chocolate and strawberry, so that's probably not enough, especially if he's not a chocolate-lover. (I won't drink the strawberry stuff, but I know some people like it. It looks a little too much like Pepto-Bismol for my liking. :ack2:)

How about Snack Pack pudding? Again, not many flavors and maybe not enough calories, but it's an easy snack.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so burned out, Tammy. :grouphug:

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 1

Is repackaging the pediasure a possibility? That plus cream or coconut oil can help very much and is better balanced, but maybe loading it into a plain bottle or some theme ones he likes is an option?

I think Muscle Milk makes a premix. That's what a lot of guys use as a weight gainer when working out and bulking up. It's not cheap- the powder is cheaper, but if it works, the premade might be worth it. 

Nes-quik? If you get the bottled stuff, it's high in calories and has quite a bit of protein.

It's not a meal replacement, so I'm just thinking of taste and calories.

I just realized you need something that comes in several flavors and I think the Nesquik only comes in chocolate and strawberry, so that's probably not enough, especially if he's not a chocolate-lover. (I won't drink the strawberry stuff, but I know some people like it. It looks a little too much like Pepto-Bismol for my liking. :ack2:)

How about Snack Pack pudding? Again, not many flavors and maybe not enough calories, but it's an easy snack.

I'm so sorry you're feeling so burned out, Tammy. :grouphug:

The pudding is definitely something I can add to his therapist-time snack bag. Thank you

I will only let me provide stuff short-term as we experiment with products. After that it has to be ordered by them and justified as a supplement. I don't think pudding will count -but I will ask.

He used to love strawberry milk, but then decided he didn't anymore.  :001_rolleyes:

He has control issues and craves any and all attention. So, that is playing into this too, making this a 1000x harder.

• Like 1

Is repackaging the pediasure a possibility? That plus cream or coconut oil can help very much and is better balanced, but maybe loading it into a plain bottle or some theme ones he likes is an option?

I just called the nutritionist again (4th time today I've talked with her  :lol:). Your post gave me a great idea about making homemade smoothies etc. and packaging them in the disposable pouches they make for baby food and freezing them!  But, alas, no. It must be factory sealed. :cursing: and something they can eventually order. That would have been the PERFECT solution! 

The pudding is definitely something I can add to his therapist-time snack bag. Thank you

So the "therapist-time snack bag" is something you put together? I misunderstood your OP. I though that these sugar-laden treats were given to your ds by the therapist. I think there is way too much sugar and way too little protein and fat in most of the stuff you listed. 

Sure, it's fun to eat sugar, but how is this contributing to the type of behaviour you are trying to achieve?

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 1

Cliff bars, protein bars, and similar are good tasting and provide a lot of protein. They are expensive, though, which may be why the therapist doesn't give these. You could check with the facility to make sure these are alright for your ds before going out and buying any.

The nutritionist did say yes to this! 

Now, can you tell me, if you know, How have these settled with picky kids? It is really hard to know what he actually likes/dislikes and what is game. YKWIM? 

I will start with single boxes and take them with me to try out on him. I pick him up one day a wk for (outside of the facility) neurofeedback therapy. So I can have him taste test some. But I want to start with the best possible candidates.

Any of the suggestions that I can't use with the facility, I can still use 1 day a week when I pick him up. So, I can make my own mixes/smoothies and take it for him to consume on the road.

So if you have any good additives or recipes, lay them on me. I know about peanut butter powder. Arctic suggested coconut oil (have that already) and cream, that sounds good.

Has anyone ever made pudding using cream instead of milk?

Now, can you tell me, if you know, How have these settled with picky kids? It is really hard to know what he actually likes/dislikes and what is game. YKWIM? 

I will start with single boxes and take them with me to try out on him. I pick him up one day a wk for (outside of the facility) neurofeedback therapy. So I can have him taste test some. But I want to start with the best possible candidates.

Cliff bars can be bought as single items, and they come in a range of flavours. Check out a sport store (a running store or something similar) or up-scale grocery store in the health food or vitamin section. Once you find a few flavours he likes, you can buy a box and save some money.

You can try out a few types of different protein bars as they are usually all found in the same place in the store. 

• Like 2

My mr. Picky DS loves the kids cliff bars ( chocolate chip version). The brownie one is good to my DD and me. DS hates the regular cliff bars as according to him, they have a "taste".

What about Fairlife Chocolate milk? It is on a list for extra calories, although buy a small bottle as my DS swears it is too sweet. Organix makes a nice protein shake in many flavors ( my DH likes it and hates protein drinks. DS won't touch it so YMMV).

• Like 3

FWIW:

Waaay too much experience with this issue here.   :glare: Feel free to PM me.

From "my" patient and all of her former inpatient 'friends' :  "Boost tastes icky. Beyond icky actually."

We found a winner with Ensure Plus Milk Chocolate flavor.  Serve it ice cold.

The difference in our experience between Boost and Ensure Plus was literally the difference between night and day, drink or not drink, and gain or no gain.

Good luck.  I *know* how wrenching this is for everyone.  There is a lot of moral support here for this issue.  :grouphug:

EDIT: This is a link to post in an eating disorder forum with a lot of high calorie suggestions.

http://www.aroundthedinnertable.org/post?id=696425#gsc.tab=0

Edited by Jenn in FL
  • Like 3

So the "therapist-time snack bag" is something you put together? I misunderstood your OP. I though that these sugar-laden treats were given to your ds by the therapist. I think there is way too much sugar and way too little protein and fat in most of the stuff you listed. 

Sure, it's fun to eat sugar, but how is this contributing to the type of behaviour you are trying to achieve?

Trust me I know.

I started out with providing nuts and trailmixes and jerky (and only the occasional treat)  to the therapist because he was giving them such a hard time with eating. Technically, I am not supposed to provide any outside food. But the therapist said to drop it off in a dark bag  :lol: and she would use it. Of course he grew "tired" of these and his weight started dropping. The therapist started giving me a list of his "requests" and said to start mixing in some of those (doritos, poptarts, kitkats). He had lost about 5 lbs at this point.

In the following months, we brought the nutritionist on board for help. There is a ton of history here, but basically he was intentionally manipulating situations in the cafeteria. She tried to work around him. But, eventually, his weight had dropped so much, she said she didn't care what I brought...it is only 3 days a week, but at least it would be calories etc. Then it became encouragement to bring in poptarts, cookies, candy (fulfilling his request to therapist). I still put in dried fruit, applesauce, nut bars, but now I include the other stuff too. The therapist had his grandmother bring in a box of honey-buns and apple pies. The therapist even argued with the cafeteria staff to break other guidelines to give him extra bread. Therapist won and had nutritionist write an order for them to not limit his carb choices (other kids get 1 carb selection per meal, but he gets all he wants). 

At least the nutritionist removed sodas and went to whole grains. She introduced flavored water instead. He stopped drinking when she first made the change!!!  They started giving him colace for constipation. I told them he gets like that when he doesn't get enough water. They can't force him to drink was their response.  :banghead:

The whole situation is far more convoluted then you could know. 

ETA: I did not mean to make the therapist sound like the bad guy here or the problem. She is definitely not that. She is actually really good with him. She just would rather he eat total junk than starve. And believe me, he would allow himself to get very ill as a way to "punish" the adults involved in his care. She knows this. She almost knows him as well as I do. I will still push for water over meds and valuable food over junk though -trying to keep a 'whole' approach to his treatment and rearing (as much as I can). 

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 2

FWIW:

Waaay too much experience with this issue here.   :glare: Feel free to PM me.

From "my" patient and all of her former inpatient 'friends' :  "Boost tastes icky. Beyond icky actually."

We found a winner with Ensure Plus Milk Chocolate flavor.  Serve it ice cold.

The difference in our experience between Boost and Ensure Plus was literally the difference between night and day, drink or not drink, and gain or no gain.

Good luck.  I *know* how wrenching this is for everyone.  There is a lot of moral support here for this issue.  :grouphug:

EDIT: This is a link to post in an eating disorder forum with a lot of high calorie suggestions.

http://www.aroundthedinnertable.org/post?id=696425#gsc.tab=0

Thank you so much for the support part especially.

There was another suggestion for Ensure. I will try that as well. And I will make sure that they are super cold when I have him try it out. 

• Like 1

I make chocolate protein shakes and add in three ounces of heavy cream and a little cream chssse and ice when I blend them. Sometimes they need a tad more sweetener. This becomes a creamy amazing milkshake. And yes, it works with strawberry flavors of powder too :)

Thank you so much for the support part especially.

There was another suggestion for Ensure. I will try that as well. And I will make sure that they are super cold when I have him try it out. 

Ensure PLUS  (higher caloric content)

It comes in several flavors.

Re: support.  There are a number of parents here that are dealing with this issue.  I hope they chime in as the collective wisdom of this board is quite extensive.  Trust me, you are NOT alone.   :grouphug:

• Like 3

If he's sensitive to textures, the protein and health bars might not appeal to him. Maybe you can buy some individual bars at the store instead of having to buy entire boxes.

• Like 1

Big hugs to you. This sounds like a very challenging situation.  :grouphug:   I can completely understand the thought that any food must be better than no food.  It's just so tough when the "any food" items could also be contributing to the problems. I guess the thought is to do anything to try to slow down the weight loss. 

Good luck to you all. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

If he's sensitive to textures, the protein and health bars might not appeal to him. Maybe you can buy some individual bars at the store instead of having to buy entire boxes.

Yes, the Cliff bars do have a different texture, but it's an interesting one, and hopefully pleasing to the boy in question. I know that my dc devour them. I'm partial to them, too. ;)

• Like 2

Yes, the Cliff bars do have a different texture, but it's an interesting one, and hopefully pleasing to the boy in question. I know that my dc devour them. I'm partial to them, too. ;)

I think they could be an excellent option. I was just thinking of individual bars because buying whole boxes could get expensive if Tammy's ds decides he doesn't like them.

I think Walmart sells a lot of individual bars in the section of the store by the pharmacy where they sell the boxed Atkins bars and things like that. She could ask at the pharmacy exactly where they are.

• Like 2

My picky sons liked the Clif Zbars for kids.  Ds16 is in football, and every day after weights he drinks a Gatorade protein drink (I think you can buy singles at Walmart, though I buy him cases from Amazon) and eats a salted nut roll (8 grams of protein).  Not the healthiest options, but they work.  I'm forever trying to get protein into my boys (my ds13 is 54" and a bit over 60#s, though we're just a smaller people and the boys are late growers, so I know it's not apples to apples) and it's not an easy task without all your restrictions :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

Oh, last time I was in the granola bar aisle, I noticed a few more higher protein options.

I've also been known to throw unflavored protein powder into homemade baked goods.  

Edited by JudoMom
  • Like 3

My picky sons liked the Clif Zbars for kids.  Ds16 is in football, and every day after weights he drinks a Gatorade protein drink (I think you can buy singles at Walmart, though I buy him cases from Amazon) and eats a salted nut roll (8 grams of protein).  Not the healthiest options, but they work.  I'm forever trying to get protein into my boys (my ds13 is 54" and a bit over 60#s, though we're just a smaller people and the boys are late growers, so I know it's not apples to apples) and it's not an easy task without all your restrictions :grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: .

Oh, last time I was in the granola bar aisle, I noticed a few more higher protein options.

I've also been known to throw unflavored protein powder into homemade baked goods.  

I didn't know Gatorade had a protein drink. I will add this to the list too. I'm going to have to go to a store and just plan to spend an hour comparing the content fact charts of all these different bars and drinks  :lol: . Dh will want to sit this trip out...but i won't let him  :D . What's that saying...misery loves company?  ;)

• Like 1

(deleted some sensitive content)

Ya'll may not think it's funny, but sometimes you have to laugh or you will end up with dehydration from crying. And then other times, I just get ticked off and rant as I pace throughout my house lecturing him in my mind!

ETA: THANK YOU, EVERYONE!

Edited by jewellsmommy
  • Like 4

Can it be refrigerated? I recently found Chobani drinks at the store. It's a yogurt smoothie...in individual bottles, several flavors, pretty decent amount of protein and calories.

Best of luck to you as you find something that works for your DS.

• Like 6

Can it be refrigerated? I recently found Chobani drinks at the store. It's a yogurt smoothie...in individual bottles, several flavors, pretty decent amount of protein and calories.

Best of luck to you as you find something that works for your DS.

Yes. Refrigerated or frozen is fine. I will put those on the list too.

Thank you.

I'm not quoting per your request, but I *liked* your post because I love the concept of laughing to prevent dehydration!   :lol:   

You've got it, girl.  It truly is trench warfare 24/7.  Been there.  Done that.   :glare: 

Just keep swimming...swimming, swimming.   :grouphug:

• Like 2

This looks interesting (but expensive): Magic Cup. It comes in four flavors (chocolate, vanilla, orange creme, wild berry).

"Magic Cup Fortified Nutrition Vanilla Snack, 4 Ounce -- 48 per case. Magic Cup is a great name for a great product. Hormel Health Labs realizes that sometimes you have to be creative to meet the calorie needs of your nutritionally at risk residents. Magic Cup is a 4oz frozen cup that provides 290 calories and 9 grams of protein in four great flavors, and a No Sugar Added variety with 260 calories and 9 grams of protein. As an added benefit, it can be eaten frozen as an ice cream or after it thaws, a pudding - perfect for texture modified diets. Magic Cup is an alternative to frozen liquid supplements and a delicious dessert for any one any time. Can be used for those with modified texture diets. Gluten free. Benefits: Adds variety to supplement rotation. Great taste promotes intake of extra calories for diet. Great weight loss intervention. Can be served as a dessert for a dignified intervention."

This looks like a similar product: Lyons Ready Care Frozen Nutritional Treat. It looks like the company also carries smoothies, juices, shakes, etc.

Maybe Google for more purchasing options / smaller quantities?

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 4

This looks interesting (but expensive): Magic Cup. It comes in four flavors (chocolate, vanilla, orange creme, wild berry).

"Magic Cup Fortified Nutrition Vanilla Snack, 4 Ounce -- 48 per case. Magic Cup is a great name for a great product. Hormel Health Labs realizes that sometimes you have to be creative to meet the calorie needs of your nutritionally at risk residents. Magic Cup is a 4oz frozen cup that provides 290 calories and 9 grams of protein in four great flavors, and a No Sugar Added variety with 260 calories and 9 grams of protein. As an added benefit, it can be eaten frozen as an ice cream or after it thaws, a pudding - perfect for texture modified diets. Magic Cup is an alternative to frozen liquid supplements and a delicious dessert for any one any time. Can be used for those with modified texture diets. Gluten free. Benefits: Adds variety to supplement rotation. Great taste promotes intake of extra calories for diet. Great weight loss intervention. Can be served as a dessert for a dignified intervention."

This looks like a similar product: Lyons Ready Care Frozen Nutritional Treat. It looks like the company also carries smoothies, juices, shakes, etc.

Maybe Google for more purchasing options / smaller quantities?

This sounds great! Thank you! He would love the orange cream!

• Like 1

Ok. I picked up some cliff for kids bars in 3 flavors and vanilla ensure plus. I saw they have butter pecan, which sounds fascinating but doesn't seem like his taste. I'll save that flavor for last if the others fail.

That magic cup really looks promising too.

The muscle milk smoothies and the coffee flavor are definitely worth a try. The name alone will be an appeal for him.  :lol:

I'm taking it all in. No suggestions will be turned away. :D

I really, really appreciate all of you guys, your suggestions and sympathy too!!!  Ya'll are the greatest!

• Like 3

I'm not quoting per your request, but I *liked* your post because I love the concept of laughing to prevent dehydration!   :lol:   

You've got it, girl.  It truly is trench warfare 24/7.  Been there.  Done that.   :glare:

Just keep swimming...swimming, swimming.   :grouphug:

Thank you so much again. It really helps to know there are others who have gone through it too. It makes me feel a little less crazy. :tongue_smilie:This boy dedicates an immense amount of effort to convince me that I have lost my mind. :willy_nilly:  I often feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

• Like 1

Do they have to be "supplements" or can it be things like beef jerky, Reese's, string cheese, actual food with a lot of calories and quickly available?

I have not BTDT to the extent you ARE there DOING that...but we had to get very serious very quickly about our son's weight about a year ago.  Won't do milk, won't do cold/frozen, tried so hard to do the protein drinks, but gagged on the texture.  Hates chocolate, hates vanilla and the strawberry and berry mixes still had the gag-texture.  Hasn't ever eaten nuts (because I am deadly allergic to them).  

Will he eat hardboiled eggs?  Those are sealed in packaging now, two to a bin. 

Can he eat nuts?  Packaged cashews are really a pretty decent snack.  

Will they microwave anything?  If so, precooked bacon is pre-packaged and it comes in single-portion sizes (at least that is how my ds sees it....). :0)

We went to a nutritionist who was immensely helpful and while a LOT of what I have written above was not her preference (a quarter pound of bacon?) she knew he had to get some weight on him and she supported whatever we could do to make that happen.  She also put him on a probiotic that haps him get every last thing he can out of what he does eat. 

For when he is home, have him eat a lot of eggs, sausages, even ice cream--just get the weight on.  

(We are out of the woods for now...I'll see if any other remembrances come back and post them here.  )

Thank you so much again. It really helps to know there are others who have gone through it too. It makes me feel a little less crazy. :tongue_smilie:This boy dedicates an immense amount of effort to convince me that I have lost my mind. :willy_nilly:  I often feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Oh honey,  you have NOT lost your mind...so don't spend much time looking for it.  :laugh:

You ARE in the twilight zone!!!   :confused1:    :lol:   :svengo:

• Like 1