Menu

Help me fill the in laws' freezer?

Spryte

I need to fill their freezer, but there are some special diet needs.

Diabetic - so no sugar, low carb, preferably no pasta, bread, etc.

Low sodium.

Nothing spicy. This is the hard one for me, I tend to cook spicy foods.

Any links would be appreciated!

in my freezer at the moment are various homemade meals in individual ziplocks:

sloppy joes

soups:  vegetable, lentil, chicken noodle, hamburger/veggie

beef chili

beef stew

white chicken chili

cooked shredded BBQ chicken and cooked shredded BBQ beef

beef stroganoff

breakfast casserole

spaghetti sauce

meatballs

muffins

cooked unseasoned ground beef (usually for tacos later)

staples:

bread

brown rice

frozen chicken breasts for grilling later

frozen veggies

frozen fruit

butter

cream cheese blocks

ground beef

ice packs for sore/tired muscles

aloe gel for cuts/scrapes

frozen packs for coolers/lunchboxes, etc. 

• Like 4

Cooked hamburger patties, pork chops, chicken breasts (grilled or stove cooked) -- when we grill I try to grill extra, lay extra on a cookie sheet  and freeze.  Then pop in freezer bag .  That way I can pull out how many I need a the moment.

Chicken pot pie --- either whole pie or just the insides

Meatloaf

Cooked -- taco meat,  pulled pork BBQ, ground beef, shredded chicken,

• Like 1

Do they eat vegetables or are otherwise picky eaters? Would quiche be welcome or are talking about meat & potato eaters that we are accommodating? I ask because I've bumped into this issue a few times.

For the meat & potato crowd:

*meatloaf

*meatballs in a base of spaghetti sauce, topped with mozzarella

*bbq chicken breasts, with a bit of extra sauce on top (low-sugar sauce)

*beef stew

*chicken fajitas

*peppers stuffed with sausage or ground beef

*chicken over cauliflower "rice": http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/05/low-carb-baked-chicken-and-cauliflower-rice.html

I found that with my elderly family, they LOVED sweets, and were sabotaging their diets with them, so finding a healthy balance was important.... banana slices frozen with peanut butter to make sandwiches, blueberries covered in greek yogurt and frozen, high protein waffles with low sugar syrup....if I didn't have something sweet for them to nosh on, they were picking up pies and cookies at the grocery store.

• Like 3

These are all great ideas, thanks everyone.

I made chicken divan tonight - 4 trays - which is like chicken and broccoli in a cheese sauce. I make the roux, so no cream of whatever soups.

This weekend I'll tackle the great ideas you gave me.

Do they eat vegetables or are otherwise picky eaters? Would quiche be welcome or are talking about meat & potato eaters that we are accommodating? I ask because I've bumped into this issue a few times.

For the meat & potato crowd:

*meatloaf

*meatballs in a base of spaghetti sauce, topped with mozzarella

*bbq chicken breasts, with a bit of extra sauce on top (low-sugar sauce)

*beef stew

*chicken fajitas

*peppers stuffed with sausage or ground beef

*chicken over cauliflower "rice": http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com/2015/05/low-carb-baked-chicken-and-cauliflower-rice.html

I found that with my elderly family, they LOVED sweets, and were sabotaging their diets with them, so finding a healthy balance was important.... banana slices frozen with peanut butter to make sandwiches, blueberries covered in greek yogurt and frozen, high protein waffles with low sugar syrup....if I didn't have something sweet for them to nosh on, they were picking up pies and cookies at the grocery store.

Yes! Sweets are a terrible issue, and they are both diabetic (uncontrolled, chronically very high sugar which has caused a slew of serious problems). What kind of high protein waffles? Do you make them or buy them? That's a good idea. I should pick up some other safe treats.

I think they will eat veggies. :)

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

in my freezer at the moment are various homemade meals in individual ziplocks:

sloppy joes

soups:  vegetable, lentil, chicken noodle, hamburger/veggie

beef chili

beef stew

white chicken chili

cooked shredded BBQ chicken and cooked shredded BBQ beef

beef stroganoff

breakfast casserole

spaghetti sauce

meatballs

muffins

cooked unseasoned ground beef (usually for tacos later)

staples:

bread

brown rice

frozen chicken breasts for grilling later

frozen veggies

frozen fruit

butter

cream cheese blocks

ground beef

ice packs for sore/tired muscles

aloe gel for cuts/scrapes

frozen packs for coolers/lunchboxes, etc. 

So Holly,

Wanna trade freezers?

That's all...    :tongue_smilie:

• Like 6

low carb waffles: There are a number of mixes out there---Bob's Red Mill, Kodiak Cakes (not really low carb, fwiw), etc.. I personally prefer the grain free/greek yogurt style recipes. There are a SLEW of them on the web. Pick one that you think will work.

Likewise, if you go onto pinterest and search for low-carb cookies, muffins, etc., the recipes are out there. Personally, brownies were the biggest hit.

I found that you can SLOWLY get elderly family to eat better, but it's definitely a transition for their tastebuds.  I had to take over cooking for a long while. There is still no mental understanding of nutrition, despite numerous discussions.  I share this, because the lack of understanding is still mind-blowing to me.  

• Like 1

I make meals for my MIL since FIL passed away. She loves this minestrone soup by Giada:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/beef-and-cannellini-bean-minestrone-recipe/

It has beans but you could leave them out if it's too starchy. I add a bit more ground beef. You can control the salt, obviously.

Here's another one she loves. For her I use spicy chicken sausage because that's what she likes, but you could use regular. Again, leave the beans out if you have to.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/12942/italian-sausage-soup/

She also likes pot pies. If you only put a couple of layers of phyllo on they aren't too bad carb wise. Beef stew is another good one, without potatoes.

• Like 1

If you're not opposed to store-bought, Trader Joe's has so many good healthy frozen options at very reasonable prices.  (I loaded up on them for my father when my mother was hospitalized for an extensive period and then home recovering.)

• Like 1

If you're not opposed to store-bought, Trader Joe's has so many good healthy frozen options at very reasonable prices. (I loaded up on them for my father when my mother was hospitalized for an extensive period and then home recovering.)

Trader Joe's is a trek for me, but if they have what we need it would be worth it. Can you tell me if they have low sodium options?

MIL had a heart attack, has kidney disease and was retaining fluids around lungs and heart. Her sugar was sky high, so we all focused on lower carbs and sugar, and she ate frozen meals that fit those parameters, but no one watched the salt. Those tend to be high sodium, apparently so ... a week after getting home there was another heart attack and fluid around the lungs.

We haven't found low sodium, diabetic friendly frozen foods anywhere yet, but I haven't tried Trader Joe's. If they have some, I'm jumping in the car now! :)

low carb waffles: There are a number of mixes out there---Bob's Red Mill, Kodiak Cakes (not really low carb, fwiw), etc.. I personally prefer the grain free/greek yogurt style recipes. There are a SLEW of them on the web. Pick one that you think will work.

Likewise, if you go onto pinterest and search for low-carb cookies, muffins, etc., the recipes are out there. Personally, brownies were the biggest hit.

I found that you can SLOWLY get elderly family to eat better, but it's definitely a transition for their tastebuds. I had to take over cooking for a long while. There is still no mental understanding of nutrition, despite numerous discussions. I share this, because the lack of understanding is still mind-blowing to me.

Oh goodness, the lack of understanding is mind blowing here, too. We've had years and years of talking and now are seeing the results of the poor choices. But it's like every time it's brought up, it's brand new info that they've never heard. And it's ignored. I don't understand. These are smart people, and I love them and want them they be healthy.

I will check out recipes. We have to be cautious with having my son's anaphylactic allergens in the house, so we might be limited on some things, but you've given me great ideas!

Thanks so much, everyone!

I don't know why I didn't think if cooking for the in laws' freezer till now. :)

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Trader Joe's is a trek for me, but if they have what we need it would be worth it. Can you tell me if they have low sodium options?

MIL had a heart attack, has kidney disease and was retaining fluids around lungs and heart. Her sugar was sky high, so we all focused on lower carbs and sugar, and she ate frozen meals that fit those parameters, but no one watched the salt. Those tend to be high sodium, apparently so ... a week after getting home there was another heart attack and fluid around the lungs.

We haven't found low sodium, diabetic friendly frozen foods anywhere yet, but I haven't tried Trader Joe's. If they have some, I'm jumping in the car now! :)

They do have low sodium, but not on most things. In general, I've found that most of their frozen foods are a lot healthier, but not necessarily low sodium, though that's not something I'm watching for.

Things in my freezer that haven't been mentioned...

These pea cakes:

http://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/savory-black-eyed-pea-cakes/

And this soup:

https://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-with-tomatoes-thyme-and-corn-bread-croutons/

Plus homemade waffles, meatballs, chili... a number of things mentioned. And some pasta and carb heavy things.

• Like 1

They do have low sodium, but not on most things. In general, I've found that most of their frozen foods are a lot healthier, but not necessarily low sodium, though that's not something I'm watching for.

Things in my freezer that haven't been mentioned...

These pea cakes:

http://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/savory-black-eyed-pea-cakes/

And this soup:

https://www.fostersmarket.com/recipe/roasted-butternut-squash-soup-with-tomatoes-thyme-and-corn-bread-croutons/

Plus homemade waffles, meatballs, chili... a number of things mentioned. And some pasta and carb heavy things.

Thank you, that's helpful before driving a good bit out of the way. I'll plan to swing in to TJ next time I'm in the area to check it out, but maybe not a special trip.

Checking your links now.

This thread is making me hungry.

• Like 1

Shredded chicken, pot roast, pork bbq in meal-sized amounts. They can serve with a salad or slaw or whatever. 

Individual meat loaves (I shape them using a 1/2 cup measure and freeze before baking). You can bake straight from frozen (350 for 40-45 minutes). Squirt some ketchup on top near the end. 

Chili, soups, stews in individual portions. You can freeze in silicone muffin tins. 

Lots of freezer meal ideas for paleo and low carb on the interwebs. 

You're very thoughtful to do this. :)

• Like 1

It's a trek for me too.  From a quick online search, it seems that they have a lot of low-sodium options.  Various sites have said things like "Has a great selection of low sodium foods."

• Like 1

Spryte--to give you an idea of the selection at TJ's:

http://www.delish.com/food-news/g3929/22-low-carb-frozen-foods-from-trader-joes/?slide=22

Good low sodium food items there:

marinara sauce

soups

"no salt added" chips

low sodium ezekiel bread

flat cakes--lemon, chocolate, ???

Someone created a pinboard of low sodium items there.....not all are in stock near me, but you'll get an idea...

https://www.pinterest.com/lindau23/low-sodium-trader-joes/

I personally like the spice blend "21 seasoning solute" and their frozen cherries a lot.  I eat the cherries straight from the freezer as a treat when I'm craving sweets.

• Like 1

Spryte--to give you an idea of the selection at TJ's:

http://www.delish.com/food-news/g3929/22-low-carb-frozen-foods-from-trader-joes/?slide=22

Good low sodium food items there:

marinara sauce

soups

"no salt added" chips

low sodium ezekiel bread

flat cakes--lemon, chocolate, ???

Someone created a pinboard of low sodium items there.....not all are in stock near me, but you'll get an idea...

https://www.pinterest.com/lindau23/low-sodium-trader-joes/

I personally like the spice blend "21 seasoning solute" and their frozen cherries a lot.  I eat the cherries straight from the freezer as a treat when I'm craving sweets.

All very carby...except marinara sauce.

(yes, I'm the carb police..LOL) 

• Like 1

Sparkly--I don't disagree. In earlier posts, I gave ideas of low carb meals. There was a specific question about what low sodium items TJ's might have. I listed those.  My first link in that same post is to the lower carb items that TJ's carries.  My answers were TJ specific because I live close to one and Spryte lives far away from one and she was contemplating making a drive....  

• Like 2

You are all the best! I took the in laws a few casseroles today, and a rotisserie chicken. Plus sausages that fit the bill.

We went over a lot of options you've all given me, and have ideas for the next few weeks. Whew.

I'll stop in TJs next time we're up that way. :)

We're going for low carb, low sodium, no sugar, so I need policing on all of that. Police away!

Meatloaf was exciting, which I find daunting. I don't care for it, don't make it. Oops. Anyone with a great recipe? FIL asked for one with a tomato sauce on top, and I love zoobie's idea of individual sizes. I'll check google, of course. But if anyone has a kick butt recipe, I'd love that, too.

I just want to say you are a super cool DIL for taking this on.

My ILs were not there for us around births and our children's health issues, so that shapes my sense of what I'll be able to do for them as they age.

But there's no doubt that your ILs and dh are so lucky to have you!

Amy

• Like 1

Beans are very good for diabetics (soluble fiber helps control blood sugar), so any bean dishes that they might like such as chili, lentils,  WTM bean dip (haha) for veges to dip would be good.Oatmeal is another good source of soluble fiber. you can find meatloaf recipes that use it as a binder.

I eat low sodium and shop at Trader Joe's regularly. I gave up trying to find frozen dinners. I tried for a long time to find one I could take to work, Finally found one then they discontinued  it!  I do like their low sodium soups: tomato & roasted red pepper have good nutrition profiles. 

You might look into Barilla Plus pasta. Regular store not TJs. It tastes like white pasta but is made with bean flour and semolina so is higher protein/ higher fiber than other pasta. 

• Like 1

I just want to say you are a super cool DIL for taking this on.

My ILs were not there for us around births and our children's health issues, so that shapes my sense of what I'll be able to do for them as they age.

But there's no doubt that your ILs and dh are so lucky to have you!

Amy

Thank you. I would do anything for my in laws. :)

I wish I could share my amazing in laws with you. They are just ... wonderful. When DS was tiny, I was extremely ill. It was similar to BlesdMama's current story (not sure if I spelled her username correctly), and we feared I might not make it. I ended up bedridden long-term and the recovery took years. My MIL took turns with my mom, each spending 6 weeks at a time, helping us. Between our moms, we made it. I wish I could do more now, than cook and fill their freezer.

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 2

Beans are very good for diabetics (soluble fiber helps control blood sugar), so any bean dishes that they might like such as chili, lentils, WTM bean dip (haha) for veges to dip would be good.Oatmeal is another good source of soluble fiber. you can find meatloaf recipes that use it as a binder.

I eat low sodium and shop at Trader Joe's regularly. I gave up trying to find frozen dinners. I tried for a long time to find one I could take to work, Finally found one then they discontinued it! I do like their low sodium soups: tomato & roasted red pepper have good nutrition profiles.

You might look into Barilla Plus pasta. Regular store not TJs. It tastes like white pasta but is made with bean flour and semolina so is higher protein/ higher fiber than other pasta.

Oh! I didn't know that about beans. Thank you!

• Like 1

You are all the best! I took the in laws a few casseroles today, and a rotisserie chicken. Plus sausages that fit the bill.

We went over a lot of options you've all given me, and have ideas for the next few weeks. Whew.

I'll stop in TJs next time we're up that way. :)

We're going for low carb, low sodium, no sugar, so I need policing on all of that. Police away!

Meatloaf was exciting, which I find daunting. I don't care for it, don't make it. Oops. Anyone with a great recipe? FIL asked for one with a tomato sauce on top, and I love zoobie's idea of individual sizes. I'll check google, of course. But if anyone has a kick butt recipe, I'd love that, too.

Don't know if it was mentioned, but they have frozen riced cauliflower.  They have it in many grocery stores now, but the price at TJs is quite a bit better. 

Only thing I really go there for though in the realm of low carb is cheese and nuts. 

• Like 1

My diabetic mother uses a frozen vegetable mix that she loves. It is a basic cauliflower, broccoli, and carrot mixture that is steamable. She uses a balsamic vinegar mixture on it. I am pretty sure she eats this several times a week.

There are many steamable options available now, some labeled high protein.

• Like 1

Don't know if it was mentioned, but they have frozen riced cauliflower.  They have it in many grocery stores now, but the price at TJs is quite a bit better. 

Only thing I really go there for though in the realm of low carb is cheese and nuts. 

I'll pick some up, that sounds like a good one.  

• Like 1

Just wanted to say to read the labels on any balsamic vinegar. I needed some and was in line at the grocery store and so left my cart to  quickly grab one in a nearby aisle. They were out of my regular kind and I grabbed another brand. It tasted ghastly sweet. It had 12 grams of sugar per tablespoon! That is more grams of sugar than a serving of a dark chocolate candy bar (almost 1/2 bar!)  Even my regular brand has 6 g. sugar per T, so if you are shopping for balsamic vinegar for them, be sure to read the labels! 

• Like 2

I don't like spicy food. It can be done but yes it can be tricky. I notice that if I buy pre-packaged items that are not sold as spicy they are sometimes spicy (like chicken tenders that aren't labeled as spicy).

Can you make a healthy-ish breakfast dish? I'm really into riced cauliflower lately. You can buy it premade in the freezer section (comes plain or seasoned) or do it yourself. I saw a video online recently where they used riced cauliflower as the bottom of some breakfast muffins. I guess kinda like some people would use hashbrowns. It was basically cauiflower, egg, then some cut up veggies or in some cases maybe a meat.