Menu

Xtra math or IXL math?

Princess5

I have experience with both. Xtra math is simply math facts. Done daily, it really helps children learn them by heart with automaticity (is that a word?) I have changed to the "extended time" option giving them 6 seconds to respond, as my children were way too frustrated with the 3 second response. But it is ONLY math facts.

IXL, OTOH, reviews everything in a grade level. Within any given topic, it gives a series of questions - the student earns points for a correct answer, loses points for an incorrect. IIRC, the program adapts back to easier questions if that happens too often. Students can earn "rewards", (unlocking pictures on a grid) for getting to 100 on each skill. Within a topic, it lists easier or more basic skills first, moving up as a student progresses. You can practice a skill as many times as you want, though you only unlock a prize the first time you "master" it.

I really like them both. IXL does not really practice math facts enough to get them into long term memory, but covers virtually every other topic at every grade level for good drill and review. Generally, you can pick and choose what topics your student can work on in IXL, at any grade level. Xtra math only does facts, but really gets them into long term memory.

If the school is offering it, that's great. We don't do IXL anymore because we had to pay, and I can give my kids enough review/drill on things I know they need. If it was free for us, I would probably be using it as well as Xtra math.

Prodigy does the same things as IXL and is more fun. If you are going to pay for something...

My kids have done ok with xtra math. Typing errors can keep them from getting an accurate score. We prefer games or songs for math fact drill, as both of my kids are very auditory learners. 

Prodigy does the same things as IXL and is more fun. If you are going to pay for something...

My kids have done ok with xtra math. Typing errors can keep them from getting an accurate score. We prefer games or songs for math fact drill, as both of my kids are very auditory learners. 

My kids were never fans of Prodigy - it would make my job easier if they were! :-)

IMHO, IXL is more efficient than Prodigy.