Menu

Please help Geometry gurus

My son needs to begin and complete Geometry as a summer course. Is this even doable without major stress? We have Teaching Textbooks, which is 110 lessons. I haven't been able to figure out yet how many lessons the Khan Academy or the Professor RobBob program are or how long these would take.

He's finishing Alegebra 2 now at a p.s., so I'm not wanting him to double up with Geometry during the current semester.

The reason for all of this is...we switched the order of Geometry and Alg. 2 in case he wanted to take the SAT earlier.

Now he's interested in a p.s. STEM program that requires Geometry's completion before enrolling.

Many thanks!!!

• Like 1

It is common here to do it as a summer course to accelerate for math.

E.g, 6 weeks daily = 30 days intensive

"Prerequisites: Grades 6-8 Must have a 95% or better in Algebra 1 Honors; department approval. Grades 9-12 must have a 90% or better in Algebra 1 Honors; department approval.

Textbook Required (Books will be available to purchase after May 8, 2017)

June 19-July 28 | 8 a.m.-12:30 p.m."

• Like 2

It's absolutely doable, but you'll need to be sure that the STEM program he's interested in will accept a homeschool geometry class.

This. 100%. Most won't take it. I'd push for information with the school to see if they have an approved online public component and use that. I'd also only consider it with a kid who is really strong in math.

• Like 2

I would try to avoid a 6 week math course. In my area, there is well regarded summer math program that offers  alg1 through calc ab. Know several kids (with "A" average in math at regular school) who did very well in the summer classes, but were unable to test out of the class at a just better than average h.s.  Any reason he couldn't start an on-line class now.  My 6th grader completed ThinkWell (no problem recommending)  in 9 months last year at a very casual pace.  If your son could complete just 2 chapters per month, he will be 1/2 through by the end of June.  Pick up the pace a little during the summer to complete before school starts. 

ETA: Most kids do very well  at regular school when they take the class for a grade,  because the program surveys the most challenging aspects of the subject.  School becomes review.

Edited by gstharr
  • Like 2

It's a high school STEM academy and they are expecting it to be a high school geometry class.

Would the STEM academy accept any high school geometry class or they have a certain list of providers they would accept? For example my district would take the K12 online class or a private high school taken for credit summer class but not take the RSM (Russian School of Math) class even if it might be harder.

Would he need to pass a placement/end of course test or would the STEM academy just take the provider's grades for the geometry course?

• Like 1