Menu

Missing Richard Simmons

Moxie

I initially started listening thinking 'missing' was in reference to where he was.  But by the 2nd episode it was more like people were missing him...we miss you, Richard.   I really enjoyed it- I learned a lot more about him. I really thought he was just the loud guy in shorts selling deal a meal and stuff. But he really cared about people. 

I'm sorry that he felt burned out but I'm glad it turned out to be nothing awful like being held captive. 

You know, the episode where the host talked to Richard's brother Lenny still makes me wonder though- even Lenny doesn't seem to understand what's going on. And his manager says things like 'Richard is physically ok'.   But is he mentally ok?  

I read a story today that came right out and said the host harmed Richard by making this. I disagree.  It was full of people talking about how much they love him and how much he means to them. And the few bad things like being held captive or transitioning into a woman...well, those are not crazy things to consider.  And the host made it clear that he doesn't believe those things. 

I thought it was well done. 

• Like 1

Oh, I thought it was great. I just really hoped for an interview with Richard in the end.

I feel bad for Richard. In trying to quietly disappear, he's attracted all kinds of unwanted attention.

• Like 1

I had never heard of the show until this essay came up on my newsfeed via NPR: 

Missing Richard Simmons and the Nature of Being Known:

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/03/21/520943717/missing-richard-simmons-and-the-nature-of-being-known

But as unsatisfying as the show was as a mystery, it was fascinating as a study of what we ask of public figures — of what we feel entitled to ask of them.

http://www.npr.org/sections/monkeysee/2017/03/21/520943717/missing-richard-simmons-and-the-nature-of-being-known

But it was his friends, who were very concerned, who were looking for him. Should his friend have made a podcast? Maybe not. But I think he did it to show Richard that he is loved and missed.

• Like 2

With most celebs and public figures I agree. But Richard did things that made people feel like he was truly interested in them- multiple stories of him calling people he had met at an event- and calling them for years.  Or people who took his class for years on end. I think that kind of thing is way different than people who feel entitled to take a pic w Justin Beiber when they see him in public. 

If I had taken his class for years and he suddenly disappeared I would probably wonder what happened.  

• Like 1

I will probably never listen to the podcast so asking for spoilers here.... does no one know where he is? Or is he just staying out of the spotlight?

Spoiler- he's home. Out of the spotlight, and in contact with very few people.  It sounds like his manager, brother(and sister in law), and housekeeper are the ones he is in touch with. 

Spoiler- he's home. Out of the spotlight, and in contact with very few people. It sounds like his manager, brother(and sister in law), and housekeeper are the ones he is in touch with.

Which sounds like no big deal. But the podcast is full of people who were really close to him, who saw him regularly, ate at his house, went on trips with him, even a suggested boyfriend and he just disappeared out of their lives one day. No phone calls, emails, goodbye, nothing. Given his history of depression, they are understandably worried.

• Like 1

Being out of the public eye is one thing. But it seems like cutting himself off from nearly everyone in his life (including friends and family) is an indication that he is not well.  He might be alive... it doesn't mean he's healthy or happy.

Not that it's any of my business. 

• Like 1