What are your kids doing this summer?

mommyoffive

Ds#1 -- hopefully an engineering internship

Ds#2 -- hopefully a political science internship

Ds#3 -- camp counsellor (ten weeks)

Ds#4 -- homeschooling through summer and working part-time

Ds#5 -- special needs summer camp and traveling with mama

Ds#6 -- traveling with mama

It appears that I will be doing a lot of traveling this summer due to various reasons. The two youngest will tag along with me.

Mostly swim team, which dominates the summer but they all love it. Dd will also do dive team. 

Boys will both go to a Scout camp, different ones. They will also spend another week at a different camp. Dd may do a week of ballet camp...it's very low-key and run by super sweet, well-organized and enthusiastic high-schoolers. They are graduating this year though so I'm not positive they are having it. 

We do a little school: math, piano, reading lists. I am toying with the idea of having my oldest do an online class as well, but likely not. Boys will likely work on Boy Scout stuff. 

We travel in May this year. Ds10 will go to Alaska with his aunt on a special trip. They usually spend a few days with my parents. 

As a working mom, I started researching summer camps in January, LOL.  I have my kids pretty well booked for the summer.

To summarize:

• Finish the unfinished school workbooks that will come home.
  • Some review and enrichment workbooks.  An online enrichment program for 1 kid.  Lots of good reading.
  • Library "club" meetings for writing (biweekly) and literature (monthly).
  • About 7 weeks of full-time day camps, a couple with brief overnights.  (A series of one-week educational / cultural camps covering science, Latino culture, arts, sports, and outdoorsy stuff.)
  • Scout campout (weekend).
  • Independent scout badge work.  Considering doing 4H for small companion animals - not sure yet.
  • Travel:  a cruise that touches various Nordic countries.
  • Horse riding / Kiwanis horse show; gymnastics; TKD; swimming (for fun).
  • Cooking, music practice, hiking, outdoor service projects.
Edited by SKL

"Competitive" swimming for kids. Just parks and Rec, but more fun than lessons because...racing. Good way to put lessons to use and gain fluency.

Tennis lessons for kids

Weekend camping at least once a month.

Weekly or so park dates with friends.

My junior high kids are going to camp in June.

Edited by ifIonlyhadabrain

Camp for a week for each kid, schoolwork-lite, the pool in our community in the afternoons, Summer Book Club at the library, hopefully lots of GS troop camping/badges, maybe an online class for the older, maybe trying out some summer session at activities they've considered like ballet, fencing, and.... rhythmic gymnastics...  :huh:

I'd love to go to the zoo or do any of the outdoor things we've been putting off while the weather's been frigid but our summers are usually extremely hot so we'll see. 

I haven't decided yet. We have a trip planned in July for my grandparents' 60th wedding anniversary and a trip in September to Disney. Usually we do some school in the summer but I'm considering dropping it all to see what the kids gravitate towards when they have tons of free time. I'd keep karate for the ones that want to go and maybe add swimming lessons if any of them want them. I'm still on the fence about this though. I can't decide if it's just March talking or if it's actually a good idea.

DD15 is doing one summer class - Lifetime Personal Fitness (6 weeks of Frolf, anyone?).  She also plans to work evenings umpiring softball games (and getting paid for it)

She is seriously having 'way too much fun this summer:

1 - June one-week trip to Las Vegas (I have to go for business so she is hanging out with her older sister by the pool)

2 - June Bike trip to Denali National Park with back country hiking with her best friend

3 - 3 week trip in July to Boy Scout National Jamboree back east with Venture Crew

4 - week-long canoe trip in August with her dad and his Boy Scout troop

Plus various other hiking trips with her Venture Crew - they usually do at least one big trip and 4-5 smaller trips each summer but haven't settled where yet.

Boys will have swimming lessons and a week of Boy Scout camp.  They might also go to church camp.

Girl is hoping to get a summer job.  She will also be going to church camp for a week.

I am really hoping for a quiet summer without too much going on.

Dd - school light, VBS, volunteering, mission trip/work project, AHG badges, enjoying the pool and friends.

Ds - school light, VBS, scout camp and badges, swim team, generally having fun.

A week at the beach for all of us in May.

Oh, you reminded me. Oldest will be helping with several 5 day (bible stories, gospel message, crafts) clubs with CYIA this summer. This is the first summer he's old enough to be a part of CYIA, and he's so excited!

• Like 1

Mostly work.  But my kids are not really "kids" anymore.  One is planning on a trip to Utah with her youth group, and finding a part time job.  One is trying to find a sleep away camp to work at for the summer.  (And my oldest, who is 20 and totally doesn't count as a kid, will be *hopefully* working full time somewhere)

One week of day camp

School in the morning the rest of the summer

One week of afternoon chemistry class

Going to the pool.

Might do piano lessons every other week like last summer to prevent backsliding.

I don't think I'm going to make him take swimming lessons this year, at least not at the place we used last year. It's too far out of the way.

As a working mom, I started researching summer camps in January, LOL.  I have my kids pretty well booked for the summer.

To summarize:

• Finish the unfinished school workbooks that will come home.
  • Some review and enrichment workbooks.  An online enrichment program for 1 kid.  Lots of good reading.
  • Library "club" meetings for writing (biweekly) and literature (monthly).
  • About 7 weeks of full-time day camps, a couple with brief overnights.
  • Scout campout (weekend).
  • Independent scout badge work.  Considering doing 4H for small companion animals - not sure yet.
  • Travel:  a cruise that touches various Nordic countries.
  • Horse riding / Kiwanis horse show; gymnastics; TKD; swimming (for fun).
  • Cooking, hiking, outdoor service projects.

Had to run before I finished.

The day camps are a bunch of different one-week educational / cultural camps.  Topics will be a mix of science, Latino culture, arts, sports, and outdoorsy stuff.

My 3 oldest kids will each have a week of a traditional summer camp. Dd 1 will go to a summer camp with her church youth group, ds 1 is headed to Boy Scout camp, and dd 2 is headed to Girl Scout camp.

Oldest dd is also going to spend 3 weeks at a Duke TIP camp, 2 weeks at a music conservatory for a summer intensive, and a week doing a ballet intensive at her regular studio.

Oldest ds is also doing a week of baseball camp.

Younger dd is also doing a week of ballet camp.

My little ones will be hanging out at home with me. I'm planning trips to the library, lots of time at the pool, and maybe some swim lessons. We will also take a week-long family trip to the beach. But mostly we all need some serious downtime. 

Oldest ds- summer music festival/intensive

Middle ds- showcase baseball team, gym time

Youngest ds- tennis, music lessons, general goofing

My youngest two might do some sailing, but I haven't mentioned that plan to them. We will also travel up the east coast a few times.

Edited by Jan in SC

DD15 is doing one summer class - Lifetime Personal Fitness (6 weeks of Frolf, anyone?).  She also plans to work evenings umpiring softball games (and getting paid for it)

She is seriously having 'way too much fun this summer:

1 - June one-week trip to Las Vegas (I have to go for business so she is hanging out with her older sister by the pool)

2 - June Bike trip to Denali National Park with back country hiking with her best friend

3 - 3 week trip in July to Boy Scout National Jamboree back east with Venture Crew

4 - week-long canoe trip in August with her dad and his Boy Scout troop

Plus various other hiking trips with her Venture Crew - they usually do at least one big trip and 4-5 smaller trips each summer but haven't settled where yet.

Is the Jamboree 3 weeks long?

My older son is doing an intensive class in physics and robotics. That will last through July.  

My younger son will be attending a day camp for kids on the spectrum through July.  He will also probably do some soccer workshops.  

August will be our downtime/camping/travel month.  

We are going to be doing a lot of work around morning routines, keeping a calendar, and executive functioning to help my older son be ready to be successful at his high school.  This fall will be his first year in FT school since 1st grade.  

Our summer is pretty fluid, but here is the loose plans. 

DD will continue school since we're far behind. I'm thinking maybe school in the afternoons at the library, depending on heat. Maybe some programs at the library too. She'll also do a week or two of VBS - might see where all close I can register her for VBS free. 

I'm tempted to put her in the city summer program, but it's all day and I don't think she's up to it PLUS it would mean getting further behind in schoolwork. 

DS16: Advanced vocal recording workshop for two weeks, some kind of volunteer work at the Y or the recycling center

DS14: Summer ballet classes and his studio ballet intensive.

DS12: Beginning vocal recording workshop, maybe a sleepover camp if we can squeeze it in.

We're all going on a Disneyland/California vacation at the beginning of the summer, and taking a trip to Seattle to visit dd, and we want to get in a backpacking trip and some camping trips, so that's all we've planned. :)

I'm not really sure. DS might have some summer training camps for baseball. DD wants to volunteer to help with swim lessons at the local pool, but she is going to be gone on the mandatory training day. Waiting to hear if they'll make an exception.

Otherwise, we have a beach trip, family camp, and that's about it. Summer always goes way faster than I expect. I'm sure they'll stay busy.

DD13 will have a booked summer.  She will work several weeks as a CIT at a local art studio for their summer day camps.  Then, she will have one or two weeks where she actually attends camp at the art studio.  She also wants to do one week of a musical theatre camp and maybe a tennis camp if it doesn't all collide with times. 

DD15 is likely auditioning for the summer musical which will keep her pretty busy.  She also has her eye on some other auditions toward the end of summer.  Otherwise, she will spend time with friends and at home.  She also will be getting her learner's permit at the end of April so there will be driving school and practice in there somewhere as well.

As a family, there will be a few camping weekends and some day trips with friends to the lake. 

Oldest is going to do a week at a STEM shop camp. It's not sleep-away, 9-4 M-F. 

Camping with my mom a few weekends. 

Thinking of taking the kids to a camping location ~4 hours away where oldest's best friend now lives so they can hang out for a few days. 

Swimming lessons. We usually do two 8-day sessions each summer. 

Lots of play dates with friends we haven't seen nearly enough of this school year due to schedules. 

Not sure if we're making the 1,100 mile trek (each way) to visit my grandparents or not. We don't mind the drive there, it's the drive back....

Hopefully lots of bike-riding, sidewalk-chalking, bubble-blowing, sprinkler-jumping filled days. 

My oldest has one, maybe two, free summers left before college stuff is breathing down his neck (visiting colleges and things like that.). And I worked my oldest harder than I wanted to this year. He has precious little time off right now. He neeeeds a break. I want him to have one or two last relaxing summers in his childhood.

But there will be some structure for both boys:

1. Some home ec type of education. Sewing up some holes in some clothes, knowing how to cook more elaborate dinners by themselves. Learning some basic car repair. All the sorts of things a single guy living in an apartment would need to know.

2. Helping me deep clean the house. Nothing too crazy. I want them to relax, but it'll be good for them to be a part of helping me. We'll do things like pull the fridge out and vaccuum behind it. The stuff that just doesn't get done during the school year. I might paint a few walls and I might let them help, though they're not the neatest at painting projects. We'll see.

3. Some required reading. Somehow my bookworm self birthed kids who aren't interested in reading, but I feel it's important to read. So, they'll each have a couple of books they'll be required to read.

4. I'm hoping we can afford a trip to the beach this year. It's been a loooong time. We're only about a 3 hour's drive away, but it's finding a hotel that's a pain. They're so overpriced.

The older boys may do a week at day camp at our martial arts dojang. They'll all continue to have their twice weekly classes there too.

Oldest has expressed interest in perhaps having a job. She will need to finish some schoolwork over the summer because due to all the family chaos this year, I have not had as much of a chance to do biology with her as I would have liked.

We do have a family vacation with my ILs and SIL's family planned, and that should be fun for the kids. Might get in a camping trip. Might go to the beach in late August/early September. We might also tear the house apart and redo something, like we've done the past two years; I am hoping for the kitchen if finances work out for it. At least DS1 will almost certainly help with that because he's DH's shadow.

This has been such a stressful year with DD adjusting to high school, DH's injury, my health, and of course, Nate's story. We were anticipating having a little infant to play with and cuddle this summer, and my kids all loooooove babies. So I want them to have a relaxing summer of playing, swimming, playing guitar, reading whatever they want, playing games, and just chilling out. Not a lot of video games. I want to tackle a bunch of house projects/cleaning I haven't been able to get to, plus maybe start volunteering at the NICU where Nate was.

I just read that a new Mr. Lemoncello book is due out this year, which got huge cheers from all of my kids. We kicked off last summer by me binge-reading both of the first two books back to back, over about five days, because they kept begging for more. I don't know that the new one will be out for summer though.

Thought of this thread last night.  I found a FANTASTIC summer program at a college for my older boys, one is 5 weeks long and one is 2 weeks long.  It would be perfect.  It is for high school students and is an intro to the areas of study they wish to pursue.

I got so excited about it.

Until I saw the price...... :crying:

The 5 week program is $4,500 and the 2 week program is almost $3,000.

Sigh.  Never mind.

I will try to find a comparable program in town, but I don't think it exists.

• Like 1

My boys will be finishing baseball season in early June and we start summer swim team end of May through July.  We have lots of practice, meets, pep rallies, and end of season banquet stuff to look forward to!  We school year round so will be doing that too (not all subjects).  I'd like spend some quality time doing art this summer and they may take a baseball camp in August.  We don't vacation in the summer -- too hot for this old lady!!!

At the end of last May, my FIL had a stroke (he is doing great though) so I'm hoping for a calm, uneventful summer!

Both my kids will have jobs this summer.  

The younger will go to a week-long camp as usual.  Her last time, since she is graduating this year.

The older may take a class at the community college where he is a full-time student now.  He had a slow start and needs to pick up a few more credits.  It will depend on his work schedule, though.  

Summers are way different now than even a few years ago.  

The younger kid will probably do a drop in park program.  We school year round, but do a lighter load.  The older kid (15) keeps wanting to find a job, but I doubt that'll happen.  So honestly, probably nothing in particular other than our usual school work.  He has hobbies he works on and is fine with doing that.  I can't afford these crazy expensive summer camps they have.  Some are like $800 a week.  That's just not anywhere near the realm of what is doable.

Youngest Ds has some 4H engineering projects to get done, a rocket team interview with the county commissioners, two long weekends of farm sitting, his cousin's wedding in which he is ushering, some volunteer work at a National Association of Rocketry launch site, our family trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes, and senior pictures plus finalizing his application list.

Ds middle will be doing a bunch of farm sitting, taking one online summer class, and going with us on the family vacation.

Eldest ds is going to Germany with his college German club.

Dd and grandson are coming home from Albany for cousin's wedding since Dd is a bridesmaid. They intend on one long weekend of camping in Vermont, and probably before college application season goes full swing crazy, Dh, youngest ds, and myself will spend Labor Day weekend in Albany with grandbaby and his parents.

Dd hopes to find a job or even two for the summer.

Ds will have the busiest summer he's ever had. He'll do swim team. He'll go to a Christian summer camp with friends from another church. He'll have a beach retreat trip with our church's youth group, and our church's youth ministry team will have two within-our-own-state missions trips (one is in April and one in July). Both are to work with a missions partner of our church. 

Ds1 study abroad in Spain

Dd1 summer session at school, then study abroad in Japan

Ds2 aikido, judo, library volunteer, some kind of job, summer seminar, we hope

Dd2 swim team, still thinking over travel meets

Ds3 swim team, tennis team

Tons of driving for me and a short, short summer.

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk

My kids are just going to play and be kids. We will go to Kings Island and the water park (we have passes). We are going on a family vacation for a few days. My one son will finish up baseball in June but after that nothing scheduled. Really just looking forward to nothing organized or scheduled. 

• Like 1

Youngest Ds has some 4H engineering projects to get done, a rocket team interview with the county commissioners, two long weekends of farm sitting, his cousin's wedding in which he is ushering, some volunteer work at a National Association of Rocketry launch site, our family trip to Sleeping Bear Dunes, and senior pictures plus finalizing his application list.

Ds middle will be doing a bunch of farm sitting, taking one online summer class, and going with us on the family vacation.

Eldest ds is going to Germany with his college German club.

Dd and grandson are coming home from Albany for cousin's wedding since Dd is a bridesmaid. They intend on one long weekend of camping in Vermont, and probably before college application season goes full swing crazy, Dh, youngest ds, and myself will spend Labor Day weekend in Albany with grandbaby and his parents.

We almost went to Sleeping Bear Dunes this summer, but my ds decided not to go to Interlochen. I was looking forward to it.

Oldest:  I'd love for him to get a job (he will have a drivers license).  He will be doing daily strength and conditioning at school for the upcoming football season, and he plays travel baseball year round (including summer showcase).  Not sure how a job will fit in with that schedule.  He will also do Mr. D algebra II online in advance of being in Honors Algebra II next school year.

Youngest:  no idea.  He will do one week of Winshape day camp.  I need to find him a functional fitness class that meets a few times a week and is geared to his age (12) and athletic ability (none, LOL).

We are going on a cruise the last week of June, and my youngest likes to spend time at my parents house an hour south of here in Sarasota.  Oldest usually goes with a friend's family and spends time at Universal Studios in Orlando for a few days.