Menu

Can this day get any worse for me? Help me choose what to do about my dog

TravelingChris

Maybe some of you have seen my earlier post about Sadness today with my ties to Belgium and London.  Even more now, in the last hour, my dog who had been doing so well with metastasized cancer was doing so very well since it was discovered mid-December.  Acting as normally, having fun, just a bit more tired. Now he looks like he has labored breathing and I am debating whether it is more humane to take him to the vet to be euthanized or let him die at his home near me.  I don't even know if he will make it until euthanasia and he gets nervous in car rides.

No way to go have a vet come here.  My dh said, everyone has problems breathing right now and he has severe allergies so unless I see evidence that he is in pain- like flinching or something like that, I shouldn't put him down.  Since he did get excited over treats so still has pleasure in life, I will not euthanize him.  After all, I don't think I would want to be euthanized if I could enjoy things but was having an asthma attack.  He had his treat and went to lie down in my closet where he sleeps at night.

I guess I will see if he has another remarkable recovery or if this is the end.  Either way, it sucks having such a sick pet but it sucks worse for all of you who are suffering from cancer like he is or have family members who are suffering from cancer.   

It is so hard to know sometimes. I'm so sorry. 😢

One thing I would suggest is to take a look at the gums- if they are pale or even white it's time to take him in at least to have it checked out.

Many, many hugs-

Oh, thank you for that tip.  Should have thought of it myself but I guess my thinking is off today with so much sorrow and then on top of it, a bloody medical provider continually either sending my claim to the VA (I am not a veteran, I am in Tricare) or just repeatedly wrongly spelling my name and my ID number> I did manage to think how to solve that.  I am sending a copy of my DOD ID card, my supplemental insurance, and a highlighted chat session where I chatted with a Tricare representative as to where they should mail it, who to call, and where to file on the internet. HOpefully they can get that act together.

He did have a burst tumor on his liver and that is how they diagnosed him where he lost quite a bit of blood but then recovered on his own.  His gums look between red and pink so I think we are good on that end.

I am so sorry. I've heard it said that very few people regret euthanizing their pet too soon, but many regret waiting too long. I know I do.  :(

That said, it sounds like he is feeling better now? Hopefully it is just allergies. 

Please keep us updated if you are able.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: and prayers.

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2

I fed him less than normal dinner because he didn't finish his breakfast,  When I came home tonight after church and shopping, he was peppy and wanted to eat more.  So I gave him more, let him out, and then he went to my bedroom to sleep.  So I know he is feeling somewhat worse because he doesn't normally go to sleep in there until dh and I are getting ready to sleep. He sleeps in the great room usually, often by the window in his dog bed but sometimes on another bed on the other side, away from the window, while we are often downstairs in the family room watching a DVD or show.  If I am on the computer in my office like I am now, he normally follows me here and lies down and sleeps if he wants.  So I guess probably not that long but I don't know.  I thought at one time in January, he was getting close to dying.  He perked up again and became normal.  We have no idea how long he has had metastise. We got him nearly four years ago and he had a type of cancer then that we had removed (no one thought it was actually cancer including the operating vets)  that is normally quickly fatal.  WE did have him checked then for tumors in the lungs and he had none then.  In Dec, he had lots and also some in his liver and who knows where else.  But all this time, he was acting like a normally active dog and most of the time since Dec he has too.  Today has been his worse day and yet he still liked the treats and then I gave him mostly canned food for dinner and he liked that too.

I still can't say I'd be so quick to take him to the vet...like you said upstream, "My dh said, everyone has problems breathing right now and he has severe allergies so unless I see evidence that he is in pain- like flinching or something like that, I shouldn't put him down.  Since he did get excited over treats so still has pleasure in life, I will not euthanize him.  After all, I don't think I would want to be euthanized if I could enjoy things but was having an asthma attack.  He had his treat and went to lie down in my closet where he sleeps at night.

I guess I will see if he has another remarkable recovery or if this is the end.  Either way, it sucks having such a sick pet but it sucks worse for all of you who are suffering from cancer like he is or have family members who are suffering from cancer."

No one is going to fault a pet owner for sadness over the issues of a sick pet, they shouldn't anyway. Pets are so dear to us. 

Try to keep him as comfortable as possible. It sounds like he isn't ready yet to me. I mean, I am of the mind that there may be some days that are painful to exist in but it doesn't necessarily mean it is time to go. I think you will know when it is time, and he may have many days ahead of him.  :grouphug: 

• Like 2

About two years ago we had to put our dog down because of cancer. The tumor was in her nose, and there was nothing we could do for her except make her comfortable. Towards the end, all she would do was lay around. She wouldn't even lift her head when we walked by her. She was just exhausted and really uncomfortable. It was an extremely difficult decision to make, but we couldn't let her suffer any longer. I would have preferred for her to pass away at home because she hated the vet's office...I prayed every night for her to pass peacefully in our home. Unfortunately, it didn't happen that way. We did give her tranquilizers before we took her into the office, so she was really out of it by the time we got there (something to consider if you have to take him in). 

It sounds like your dog isn't at that point yet, since he's still getting excited over things. 

I hope he's feeling better today. :grouphug:  

Labored breathing and panting is a sign of pain in dogs with cancer. I would not let that go on very long, that is so unfair to the dog. Our dog died of liver cancer and he ate normally until the end. We waited too long, and I hate myself when I picture his last days of  off and on heavy breathing and panting.

:grouphug:  :grouphug:  :grouphug: