Menu

Pinterest's faith in baking soda, vinegar, and H2O2 is misplaced

sassenach

Enamel? Think of the cheap, white, gas stoves of the world- whatever the top of that is made of.

You could try the above mentioned products, or try an SOS pad.

I find an ammonia soak cleans lots of things that laugh at other methods. With pans I seal them in a bag of ammonia overnight and the rinse clean. The trouble with a stovetop is that the ammonia will dissipate. I'd try putting it on the surface and putting a plastic bag on it overnight to keep it wet. Maybe a towel on top of that to contain the fumes.

The baking road Pinterest trick did get my glass-topped stove clean, but I wasn't really trying to get it back to looking brand new. The surface is black, so a spot here or there didn't phase me.

• Like 2

I find an ammonia soak cleans lots of things that laugh at other methods. With pans I seal them in a bag of ammonia overnight and the rinse clean. The trouble with a stovetop is that the ammonia will dissipate. I'd try putting it on the surface and putting a plastic bag on it overnight to keep it wet. Maybe a towel on top of that to contain the fumes.

The baking road Pinterest trick did get my glass-topped stove clean, but I wasn't really trying to get it back to looking brand new. The surface is black, so a spot here or there didn't phase me.

This is what I did and I had a truly caked on stove top.  Similar to what you are saying - white enamel, ancient gas stove.

I poured out the ammonia, then used the press and seal cling wrap around it.  The burners I stuck in plastic bags with ammonia.  

It worked pretty well.  Better on the stove top than it did on the burners actually.

Well, I tried everything on mine a while back. I had some really bad burned on stuff that had been there for quite a while. I ended up using a razor blade and carefully scraping it off. Easiest thing in the world (especially after scrubbing my eyeballs out with other stuff that didn't work). 

I have a razor blade in a holder that I use for just that reason.  It does help to soak it for a while..even in water. But that's not always possible depending on where it is.  I will sometimes pour some boiling water on the stove top, maybe add a couple drops of dish soap, let it cool and then use the razor blade scraper. Works really well.