Menu

Class of 2017 Decisions thread

DD has decided to attend Wellesley College. She is currently undecided with regard to her major but learned that she must decide by November of her Sophomore year to study abroad her Junior year - good incentive to make a decision. :-)

Yay, so glad she has decided  :hurray:

• Like 3

My son decided on Michigan State University, studying mechanical engineering. He received a bunch of different scholarships (including National Merit) that all stack to cover most of his costs. He especially likes the chance to do paid research starting freshman year and the opportunities in the MSU Honors College. In the end he picked mainly based on his gut instinct - MSU just felt the best to him out of his affordable choices, but there was no one big driving factor.

• Like 26

College of Chemistry at UC Berkeley for dd#3

why?  the college of chemistry is rated #1 in the world (who knew??!!).  it is small, research focused, and the students hit the ground running; they had to apply as a declared chemistry major, there are only about 75 of them in the Bsc Chemistry each year, and about twice as many grad students and post docs as undergrads, all of whom like to have undergrads as part of their research teams.  

she is over the moon.  (and turned down several ivys to go there!)

it is also only a 6 hour drive from home, which is nicer than the other side of the country.  (now if stanford moves her off the wait list, which is highly unlikely, it will be a Very Hard Choice).

• Like 25

A decision has finally been made!  It has been a very stressful week here.

DS will be headed to Columbia.  He plans to double major in Math and Computer Science and will be a Kluge Scholar.

Why?  We feel much more confident in the financial aid at Columbia, compared with Carnegie Mellon.  They reassured me - in writing and several times over the phone - that they do not include stepparent's income (I am getting married in June) when calculating f/a.  They give no loans and meet 100% of need.  

He was torn between the two schools and the financial part sealed the deal for him.  He said that he prefers a lot of little things at Columbia, but in the end he wasn't over the moon about either.  

• Like 29

College of Chemistry at UC Berkeley for dd#3

why?  the college of chemistry is rated #1 in the world (who knew??!!).  it is small, research focused, and the students hit the ground running; they had to apply as a declared chemistry major, there are only about 75 of them in the Bsc Chemistry each year, and about twice as many grad students and post docs as undergrads, all of whom like to have undergrads as part of their research teams.  

she is over the moon.  (and turned down several ivys to go there!)

it is also only a 6 hour drive from home, which is nicer than the other side of the country.  (now if stanford moves her off the wait list, which is highly unlikely, it will be a Very Hard Choice).

Were you at Cal Day, by any chance? We went to a demo lecture by the chem department where they blew lots of stuff up. My husband and I really enjoyed it!

Congrats to your daughter & ... Go Bears!  :hurray:

• Like 4

DS3 will attend Oberlin College with excellent financial aid, the company of his beloved sister across campus at the Conservatory, and much trepidation about life in the cornfields.  We assure him he can look for Winter Term internships in the mountains, and that the Cuyahoga National Park might afford a few hidden snowboard runs.  He loved the college when we visited, having put it off as long as he could due to above trepidation.  He is undecided as to major, but leans heavily toward English and Econ. 

Congrats!  My son had a wonderful experience there.  Such a special place.  

In fact, ds is working there now and has been asked to stay on for a year.  Not sure what he will do...

• Like 3

:party: Such a true statement!  :seeya:

While this was NOT great fun for me :lol:, I am filled with pride for all of you and your children. The sense of community here is powerful and always leaves me in awe.

So - congrats to all of those remarkable kids and parents of ours.

And a HUGE thank you to all of those who have guided me and loved me during the last 8 years.  Only three more kids to go!  

Edited by lisabees
  • Like 12

So - congrats to all of those remarkable kids and parents of ours.

And a HUGE thank you to all of those who have guided me and loved me during the last 8 years. Only three more kids to go!

I want to echo Lisabees' comments. Congratulations to all. The effort that each and every one of you put in to find the best fit for your graduate is admirable and inspiring. I wish each student a graceful and meaningful transition to college life.

Like Lisabees, you are not done with me yet as I have 2 more to go. We are pleased with DD's ultimate selection but there are a few things I want to do differently...but that is for another time. :-)

• Like 8

Let me add my Congratulations to all - and an added suggestion to be there (if you can) for your kids during college too.  Go to their performances (if they have any).  Let them share the excitement of what they're learning - special things they see/do/learn.  It's been a blast for us as well as for our kids.  I'm going to miss it.  "We" only have one year left of college (sigh), and it seems like just yesterday I was among the group investigating schools for my oldest.  Time flies.  Life can fly by if you don't get on board and enjoy it.

(I'm hoping we can visit Jordan when youngest is there this coming fall.  I've always wanted to see Petra.  Time will tell how finances and family health issues play out.)

• Like 10

Let me add my Congratulations to all - and an added suggestion to be there (if you can) for your kids during college too.  Go to their performances (if they have any).  Let them share the excitement of what they're learning - special things they see/do/learn.  It's been a blast for us as well as for our kids.  I'm going to miss it.  "We" only have one year left of college (sigh), and it seems like just yesterday I was among the group investigating schools for my oldest.  Time flies.  Life can fly by if you don't get on board and enjoy it.

(I'm hoping we can visit Jordan when youngest is there this coming fall.  I've always wanted to see Petra.  Time will tell how finances and family health issues play out.)

:iagree:

I just went to see dd in a performance Saturday night. I'd been to the campus to see her last Monday to deliver an early graduation gift. It was a lot of driving both days, but I was there. It was fun b/c I surprised her, something I managed to do a few times over the years. I regret not attending ALL of her performances, but w/ one busy kid at home, it wasn't possible. 

We do what we can. Visiting her is a 5 hour round trip, and meant many 12am - 1am arrivals home, but they were worth it. 

• Like 8

:iagree:

I just went to see dd in a performance Saturday night. I'd been to the campus to see her last Monday to deliver an early graduation gift. It was a lot of driving both days, but I was there. It was fun b/c I surprised her, something I managed to do a few times over the years. I regret not attending ALL of her performances, but w/ one busy kid at home, it wasn't possible. 

We do what we can. Visiting her is a 5 hour round trip, and meant many 12am - 1am arrivals home, but they were worth it. 

FWIW, we haven't been able to do ALL either, but we've never regretted those we've been able to attend, and yes, that's meant a bit of driving.  ;)

• Like 4

DS was very on the fence between Notre Dame and Stanford.  Both have incredible programs and seem like wonderful colleges.  Both had similar costs.

Downside for Stanford was that the Navy ROTC unit is at UC Berkeley.  He would have to travel cross town every Thursday, which is a committment of 6-8 hours when you roll classes, unit drill, extra team practices and travel.  It rules out any Thursday afternoon classes at Stanford.  

Downside for Notre Dame is that the scholarship he was going for requires students to major in a language or regional studies program.  ND has his language as a major, but he far preferred the idea of a regional studies major, even with taking the language all four years.  The political science major doesn't meet the requirements of the scholarship.  So that meant he would be taking more language based literature courses than he wanted and probably doing a double major to also get what he wanted.  

A couple days before going to the Stanford admitted students weekend, he found out that he had earned a Navy ROTC scholarship.  (Much rejoicing, since that is not only tuition payments, but a clear path to commissioning.)  He really enjoyed the visit to Stanford and is definitely picturing himself there.  He put down a deposit the day after returning from the weekend.  

I can't describe how important these boards have been.  We started homeschooling in Germany in an area were there were no other homeschoolers and homeschooling was not legal for locals.  It was a major success when I was able to get us access to an English language library at one of the bilingual schools.    A bunch of moves, and many ups and downs later, I consider you guys to be part of my extended family.  This has always been a place where it was safe to confess concerns, share fears, and celebrate joys.  My prayers and wishes are that all of our kids grow up to have happy lives in which they thrive.

• Like 31

DS was very on the fence between Notre Dame and Stanford.  Both have incredible programs and seem like wonderful colleges.  Both had similar costs.

Downside for Stanford was that the Navy ROTC unit is at UC Berkeley.  He would have to travel cross town every Thursday, which is a committment of 6-8 hours when you roll classes, unit drill, extra team practices and travel.  It rules out any Thursday afternoon classes at Stanford.  

Downside for Notre Dame is that the scholarship he was going for requires students to major in a language or regional studies program.  ND has his language as a major, but he far preferred the idea of a regional studies major, even with taking the language all four years.  The political science major doesn't meet the requirements of the scholarship.  So that meant he would be taking more language based literature courses than he wanted and probably doing a double major to also get what he wanted.  

A couple days before going to the Stanford admitted students weekend, he found out that he had earned a Navy ROTC scholarship.  (Much rejoicing, since that is not only tuition payments, but a clear path to commissioning.)  He really enjoyed the visit to Stanford and is definitely picturing himself there.  He put down a deposit the day after returning from the weekend.  

I can't describe how important these boards have been.  We started homeschooling in Germany in an area were there were no other homeschoolers and homeschooling was not legal for locals.  It was a major success when I was able to get us access to an English language library at one of the bilingual schools.    A bunch of moves, and many ups and downs later, I consider you guys to be part of my extended family.  This has always been a place where it was safe to confess concerns, share fears, and celebrate joys.  My prayers and wishes are that all of our kids grow up to have happy lives in which they thrive.

This is probably one of the most suspenseful (I felt myself wondering which one till you mentioned the deposit lol) and most touching (your homeschool story) posts I've read. Thank *you* Sebastian for everything you do. If not for your posts on the Common App, we would not have even attempted it. I was feeling that overwhelmed. A eventually did not apply to a Common App school but your posts really demystified the process tremendously for me. You removed the fear by clearly outlining steps and although I did not actually submit docs via the portal in the end, I was able to pay it forward by helping others to use it. For that I will always be thankful.

• Like 14

A couple days before going to the Stanford admitted students weekend, he found out that he had earned a Navy ROTC scholarship. (Much rejoicing, since that is not only tuition payments, but a clear path to commissioning.) He really enjoyed the visit to Stanford and is definitely picturing himself there. He put down a deposit the day after returning from the weekend .

Wooooo-hoooooo! So happy and excited for you and your ds!!!

Go Cardinal!!!! Fear the Tree!!!!

• Like 5

My oldest, daughter age 18, is going to Northern Arizona University. She got a WUE scholarship and one for a high ACT score. And since it was the only school that she applied to it was a good thing that she liked it.

Why? She wanted to go back to Arizona. We moved to California when she was 10 and she has never quite gotten over the fact that we sold that house and the new owners cut down her tree. She will be about two hours away from her grandparents and that makes me feel a little better. She is majoring in Civil Engineering, at least for now, but she may change her mind. She has wanted to take a class in geology for a long time and is looking forward to finally getting that. Or maybe astronomy. Or maybe something else entirely. Sigh.

• Like 23

My oldest, daughter age 18, is going to Northern Arizona University. She got a WUE scholarship and one for a high ACT score. And since it was the only school that she applied to it was a good thing that she liked it.

Why? She wanted to go back to Arizona. We moved to California when she was 10 and she has never quite gotten over the fact that we sold that house and the new owners cut down her tree. She will be about two hours away from her grandparents and that makes me feel a little better. She is majoring in Civil Engineering, at least for now, but she may change her mind. She has wanted to take a class in geology for a long time and is looking forward to finally getting that. Or maybe astronomy. Or maybe something else entirely. Sigh.

I love your story.  Thank goodness for second chances.  Glad she is taking advantage of it.

• Like 2

DS still hasn't decided! We sent an acceptance to Dickinson College, but he has since received an acceptance off of a wait-list at Macalester College. He has to decide soon if he wants to go to Macalester. He's still on 4 more wait lists too, so who knows what will happen!

Planned major is history, but he's hoping to double major with the 2nd major totally unknown. After saying that he hates math for all of his homeschooling years, he now says he's considering a math major! Or possibly economics, philosophy or something else.

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...