Menu

So sad tonight

Janeway

My old family home is up for sale now. I mentioned it a few months ago. 

I can see it on realtor.com. I click through the pictures. So many memories. It is everything from the wall paper, to everything. A lot of furniture has been removed from the house. I have not been back since 2013. I was supposed to go last summer. I should have I guess. As I look at these pictures, I can almost see family in the chairs on the back porch, or everyone around dining table...which had an additional table attached to it, on the holidays. I can see my two goofball cousins laughing at the one end, they were 10 years younger than me and we live scattered around the country now. I can picture my grandpa in his chair, in all red PJs, and a grin on his face that he is trying to hold back as he says "bah hum bug!" to all the children. The children laugh, he laughs. 

<very deep sigh>

Just so sad.

Forgot to say..those who are not scattered have passed on.

Edited by Janeway

:grouphug:

My childhood home has been sold soon after my marriage as my mom couldn't climb stairs due to her rheumatism. My aunt who has been the one who frequently babysits me for free and also cooks for everyone hasn't sold her home. My childhood home and my aunt's home have mirror image floor plans and are in the same building.

Are you close by?  Can you schedule a tour?  :) 

At least save the online photos & maybe put them into a small photo album?

We are going through this process right now, and the closing of this major chapter is more difficult than we expected.

:grouphug:

• Like 1

Growing up my entire family consisted of me and my parents. We lived in 5 different houses. Two years after I got married and moved out at 19, my parents sold the last house and moved 2000 miles away.

About 2 years ago, I happened to be in the neighborhood of the last house I'd lived in before I got married and before they moved away. I was with DH and the kids and we stopped in front of the house so I could take a picture of my kids in front of a huge evergreen tree in the yard. I have a series of pictures from years past of me in front of that tree as it grew from something only about as tall as my knees to a tree that towered over us all.

A young couple hollared out from a few porches down, "Hey! You guys need something?" Apparently, they had recently bought my old house and were visiting the neighbors a few houses down. I explained I'd lived in that house for 7 years. They said, "Well! Come on in!"

I hadn't been in that house since my parents moved away over 20 years ago. It was sooo surreal to walk back in there. The loose spindle on the upstairs railing was still loose! The closet still had that funky slanted floor!

There were also changes and updates to the house which was weird to see. The house seemed so much smaller, even though I'd been an adult when I left it and should have remembered that it was small. I wished I could have stayed in there for a good hour soaking in the memories, but since we were strangers we didn't stay more than 10 minutes and then we had to go.

It was very bittersweet. I feel for you OP!