Menu

WWYD? Social Media and crushes

Davysmom

I'm a little surprised to hear the sport uses a Facebook page for coordinating activities when there are kids on the team under age 13. Is it supposed to be the kids on the org page -- or the parents? Since Facebook does not allow accounts for kids under age 13, last I looked. (Or have they changed this policy? Though I'm pretty sure I would not be comfortable regardless)

It is not Facebook.

We use many social media platforms. We use them all differently.

We only use Facebook only publicly for general information as a form of advertising basically to reach new parents. We do not require kids to be able on any social media. We only require someone (mom, dad or kids) to be able to email or text or be on our platform for communication. It is not Facebook. It is platformed designed for things like this.

Honestly, none of our kids are on Facebook anymore. The kids that graduated last year were our last group to even have Facebook accounts. There might be some kids who have them. But generally none of them under 19 even have Facebook accounts.

Just a quick update.

Conversations went well.

Dd now understands the risks when there is an age gap.

The boy conversation went really well! Dd talked to him. He did not believe she was that young. He told dd - she is not that young.

Someone else told him she was older. That person was someone who would have known correctly because of her relationship to the girl, but when he asked, they clearly made a mistake. They would have been more reliable than me, so he thought I had made a mistake. Dd told him that she had confirmed it.

He also confirmed it. Not exactly sure what willl happen next, but it is all done on my end!

Thanks for the update!

One question -- is the girl lying about her age and saying she's older, or did the young man never bother to ask her? He must have realized she wasn't in high school, right?

Thanks for the update!

One question -- is the girl lying about her age and saying she's older, or did the young man never bother to ask her? He must have realized she wasn't in high school, right?

They are homeschooled, so no one really pays attention to grades much.

In this case, he asked a friend who is related to her. They just made a mistake, but that person should have been more reliable than me was his thinking. That person confirmed that they messed up.

• Like 1

They are homeschooled, so no one really pays attention to grades much.

In this case, he asked a friend who is related to her. They just made a mistake, but that person should have been more reliable than me was his thinking. That person confirmed that they messed up.

I guess what I don't understand is why he never asked the girl how old she was.

It seems like it should have come up in conversation!

That is such a scary story.  I am so glad that my son who is in his late 20's feels that it is weird that a fellow worker was trying to set him up on a date with her 19-year-old college student daughter.  He doesn't want to be set up on dates anyway but he thought that a 19-year-old was way too young for him.