Menu

Birth Control for period pain?

Chris in VA

Family member has very painful periods, and ovulation, too. Took today off from school due to the latter and lost a quarter day due to the former last month.

Currently taking (per Dr orders) Aleve a few days before her period, I guess to get the protaglandins down in her system. Not really working.

She is getting a physical next week.

Question: Dr. already said he doesn't usually prescribe oral contraceptives for period pain--that that is how it "used to be done" but no longer.

So, I don't really want her on OC because I'm not really a fan of hormones. 

Ideas? 

good question.  I would really do some research.  Back in the 80s, I was put on BCPs for heavy bleeding and period pain.  I was missing classes and the college medical clinic went that route.  Then in the 2000s, I was again put on BCPs for perimenopause issues.  Oldest dd was told to try advil and if that didn't work, they could try BCPs.  So far, the advil is working so she is content. 

• Like 1

Maybe there are newer methods that are tried first, but it's definitely not uncommon still. I've known of young women on oral BC for period issues in the last few years. And it definitely works for some women.

Honestly, nothing worked for me until I got pregnant. Sigh. :(

• Like 3

Never helped me. I try again every few years, hoping.

Dr has no other suggestions.

I take lots of Aleve & Advil & Caffeine. Biggest help is hot pack. Microwaveable ones are best. If I have to be out, I can use those hot pack waist band one time use things made for sore backs.

• Like 2

We opted to switch to cloth pads and cup and do Aleve continuously through the period.  She went from being in bed for 7 days with a heavy period for 10 days to 5-7 days of moderate period with very little cramping.  It took a couple of cycles for the Aleve to really start making a difference.

• Like 2

We finally tried BC for dd's acne, after we'd battled it for 5 years and tried everything short of Accutane. She also had horrible period pain, so bad she would vomit, and tried really high doses of advil which did nothing to help.  With the BC her acne is much improved and period pain way better too.  I'm so sad that we didn't try it earlier.

• Like 4

Family member has very painful periods, and ovulation, too. Took today off from school due to the latter and lost a quarter day due to the former last month.

Currently taking (per Dr orders) Aleve a few days before her period, I guess to get the protaglandins down in her system. Not really working.

Question: Dr. already said he doesn't usually prescribe oral contraceptives for period pain--that that is how it "used to be done" but no longer.

Ideas? 

I would respectfully disagree with this. We use OCs all the time for period pain and I've been to several lectures in the past few years by adolescent Ob/Gyns who recommend the same thing. I usually try and have them do Advil a few days before the period starts but it doesn't help everyone and is hard for a lot of teenagers who are irregular and don't know when they will start. For most people It's not at all uncommon for us to use OC and they typically work very well. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 6

It was a  miracle worker for me, I was a pain / puke every time person.  I haven't heard anyone said it's not routinely prescribed anymore for that purpose- I am curious about his reasoning.

Yeah, me too.  

I am old enough to remember my mom taking me to OBGYN's that thought that cramps were "in my head".   Three male doctors said that, then the female doc said, "We can do something about that."   I still prefer female docs.   I wonder if this doc is still secretly in the 'all in the head' camp and thinks that it is just a teenager excuse to get on BCP?   

I my daughter were a teenager now, I'd be investigating the research on the benefits of skipping periods.   I'm not saying that it is a good thing, but it sounded intriguing.   I am too old and DD is too young for the knowledge to be of immediate use to us.  

• Like 4

Ideas?

That doctor sounds like an idiot to me.

My DD went on BC because of extreme period pain. She could barely walk for two days each month, would vomit, and was missing school and activities every month. We did try some other non-rx and Rx meds, but the one and only thing that was like a miracle from heaven was BCP.

I'm no big fan of hormones, either, but I would go that royte again in a heartbeat. It totally fixed the problem 100%. There is no point in suffering through horrible period pain every month.

• Like 5

Is this a gynecologist or a primary care physician? If she hasn't yet seen a gynecologist, I would encourage going to one because painful periods can be a sign of a more serious gynecological condition like endometriosis. I wouldn't trust a PCP to necessarily recognize the symptoms and order the right tests.

• Like 6

Wow, I'm surprised to hear a doc say that.  Is this a gyn?  I would want a gyn.  

BC helped me tremendously.  It depends on one's body and the pill - it might take a few tries to find the right one.  And you might have to change it periodically (no pun intended there, sorry)... I think I switched Rxs every few years.  And toward the end, I had to take the pill continuously, thus having no periods at all, but I was an extreme case of endometriosis by then.  

I prefer female docs to male for this, I think they get the pain better.  

• Like 3

My gyn. gave me a bc prescription that made everything so much worse I thought I was going to die. 

I quit it after 2 years of hell. I would vomit and have diarrhea for 2 days, cramps for 3 days that were killing me even with Tylenol #3. I'd miss so much time from work. Nightmare.

I hope things have changed for the better. 

Yeah, me too.  

I am old enough to remember my mom taking me to OBGYN's that thought that cramps were "in my head".   Three male doctors said that, then the female doc said, "We can do something about that."   I still prefer female docs.   I wonder if this doc is still secretly in the 'all in the head' camp and thinks that it is just a teenager excuse to get on BCP?   

I my daughter were a teenager now, I'd be investigating the research on the benefits of skipping periods.   I'm not saying that it is a good thing, but it sounded intriguing.   I am too old and DD is too young for the knowledge to be of immediate use to us.  

I had a doctor (male) tell me that girls and women just have to learn to live with the pain because that's how it is. 

Says a *man* who has never experienced pain from ovulation or periods. I don't care if he's a doctor. I bet of he felt what some women feel, he'd being taking BC himself. 

Hormones are not this evil thing to be avoided. They can be life changing for the better. I had ovulation pain so badly I couldn't walk for several hours up to a day. Then two days of nonwalking days from period pain and it wasn't just cramps. Nothing helped except hormonal BC (Mirena for me) and life is simply glorious now. 

No one should ever underestimate the pain some girls/women experience, and if BC helps then use it. Many people balk because BC is not natural. Want to know what also isn't natural? Females having such long menstruating years in life. That used to not be the case. 

Edited by Mom-ninja.
  • Like 9

I have endometriosis. Before I had children, my cramps were so painful they would make me vomit. I usually spent part of the worst day curled up in the shower in a fetal position. I took over a dozen ibuprofen on some days. The thing that helped most--other than having a baby--was eating a mostly vegan diet. The only animal product I ate for several years was eggs. I also completely avoided caffeine and alcohol. My cramps and pain were *greatly* decreased. 

Red meat and dairy seem to be the worst culprits. It might be worth cutting them out for a few months and see how she does.

Hugs to your family member.

• Like 1

Could you switch to a female doctor? It shouldn't make a difference but personal pain experience might make a doctor more diligent about finding a solution.

I always found male doctors more understanding. Maybe every female doctor I ever saw had their period 28 days regular with hardly any symptoms.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Both of my dd's went on BCP as teens due to pain. They were both so irregular they didn't know when they would start until they just got hit by the pain like they'd been hit by a truck. BCP did lessen the pain and also make the periods regular as clockwork so they made sure not to plan anything big during their cycles. I don't regret that choice at all.

I've been on BCP since I was a teenager (except when trying to conceive). It's been such a help with pain and nausea during my period. I used to be doubled over in pain and would throw up and have such heavy cycles. BCP has helped a ton - periods are lighter, shorter and I've gone from intense pain to hardly any.

I've been pretty lucky that whichever pill I've tried over the years has worked with minimal side effects, but I have friends who have had to try multiple kinds before finding one that worked.

I don't have experience with needing oc to control menstrual pain, but it's absolutely 'not how it used to be done'...it's how it's being done right now and has been for a long time.  FWIW, I am about to be 50 and I knew girls in middle/high school who were put on oc to help with menstrual pain. I have friend's whose daughters are currently using it for just that reason. I actually feel like the majority of women I know who use oc do so to help with non birth control issues.  For some it doesn't work, that is true...but that is going to be the case with a lot of things. But for a lot of women it helps them to function.

I've known a couple women swear up and down that an IUD was more helpful than oc for menstrual pain, but I don't know much about IUDs why that would work. I mean, I know how an IUD works, lol. I just don't know what it can do or not do for periods.

• Like 3

I've known a couple women swear up and down that an IUD was more helpful than oc for menstrual pain, but I don't know much about IUDs why that would work. I mean, I know how an IUD works, lol. I just don't know what it can do or not do for periods.

Dd's OB/BYN recommended an IUD for her probable endometriosis because it can reduce the bleeding so much and basically having all that bleeding tissue helps the spread of endo.  So, less period, less endo spread in theory.  Dd does NOT want one, though.  (She's 17, not sexually active, not thrilled about the possibilities of something going wrong with the IUD and having to go through insertion again, etc.)

Topical progesterone cream was a lifesaver for one of my daughters during her teens and for me currently, handling perimenopause. From what I understand, progesterone is only produced after ovulation, and teens/early twenties may not ovulate when they have periods, so they can become estrogen dominant.

Here's a study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1426310

And here is a discussion about the use of progesterone cream, but not from a particularly reputable source. Perhaps, it adds to the discussion, though: http://www.virginiahopkinshealthwatch.com/2011/07/does-progesterone-cream-help-teens-with-pms-and-stress-symptoms/

• Like 3

If you're interested in other options, you could see if there's a NaPro doctor in town. They would probably have her chart cycles for a few months, maybe test hormones and try to get an accurate diagnosis. That way she won't be surprised by infertility someday, if there's a problem that is masked instead of cured.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Go to the endo Reddit board.  https://www.reddit.com/r/Endo/ On the right there is a link to successful doctors.  See if there's a recommended doctor in your area on your insurance.  Start there. If endo, will probably need surgery for preserve fertility. It's been shown that endometriosis is now found in fetuses, so no diet is going to get rid of it.  It's not from doing inversions during her period, or backwashed menstrual blood.  It's a real inflamatory condition that is triggered by excess estrogen.  The best treatment is surgery.

When you've scheduled that appointment, try a diet that substantially reduces estrogen.  PCRM (warning: low fat vegan advocates) has a good, though challenging one: http://www.pcrm.org/health/health-topics/using-foods-against-menstrual-pain. A low histamine diet (avoiding aged proteins and cheese, as well as certain plant foods), while more difficult to research, is another one.

ETA:  I would only do the pill after you've tried these things.  Some pills make endo worse.

Edited by Katy
  • Like 1

They have made a huge difference for my daughter.  She would practically be out of commission for two weeks every month between cramping and massive mood swings.  Then, her final period before she started the pills lasted 21 days.  Things are significantly better for her now.  She still has some PMS issues but on a much more manageable scale.  I have PCOS so I was extra concerned about some of her issues.  I don't regret that we made the decision at all. 

We went with the Nexplanon for one of mine. It works for years with nothing to remember to take daily. She loves it. Periods are super light but are not exactly clockwork which might be an issue for some teens. Due to other medical issues (and the fact that fertility in the future is not a concern due to her special needs and genetics) the pill was not a great choice as it mixes poorly with her seizure meds.