Menu

Algebra I & Geometry at the same time? Also, best online Geometry?

I would at least stagger it with Algebra 2. If you must you could start geometry mid-way through Algebra 1 and then finish it while in Algebra 2. I would want my kid to work through the summer so the days during the school year aren't so long. 

• Like 1

I would at least stagger it with Algebra 2. If you must you could start geometry mid-way through Algebra 1 and then finish it while in Algebra 2. I would want my kid to work through the summer so the days during the school year aren't so long. 

DD will likely start Geometry in summer for a head start.

We had some overlap.  My father passed away and we were out of the area dealing with all that went with that.  We took dd's history and literature resources but since we were using TT, we didn't take it.  Towards the end of Algebra 1, we started geometry.  She did geometry into the summer and had some overlap when we started Algebra 2.  It was fine.  She had enough algebra 1 for the geometry by the time we started and we were almost done with geometry when we started Algebra 2.  It was not my original plan.  But, summers here are so hot (100+ days for days and days and days)  that having the indoor math project was not a bad thing. 

• 2 weeks later...

We did Algebra I but only made it though 1/3 of Geometry at the same time before we decided to wait to restart it again with Algebra 2. I was planning to utilize this model - but I think AOPS is just simply not designed for this. I think it 'may' have been possible, but I think it will be much easier with Algebra 2, for us anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

We are using Thinkwell online right now, which is fine, but maybe not as rigorous as other providers. I've heard Derek Owens is more thorough. We will be switching to something else for Algebra II, but mainly because my son wants a STEM career, so I need to be sure he gets challenging classes in math and science. We waited until we finished Algebra 1 to start geometry, but he has been moving very quickly through geometry.  That is one nice thing about using a self-paced class - you can finish it faster. He started in January and will finish early summer (or maybe sooner). He is in 8th grade now. (We spent 1 1/2 years going through Foerster's algebra, in part because we started with Tabletclass and switched in October to Foerster, then he hit a wall around Christmas his 7th grade year, and then we sold our house and moved at the end of that year. Life circumstances meant it went slower than originally planned.) Anyway, if you don't feel like you need uber rigorous geometry, Thinkwell is pretty good. My son enjoys it. Maybe you could start it near the end of Algebra 1 and finish it up concurrently with Algebra 2.