Menu

if they sold nitrous on the street corner

SparklyUnicorn

I haven't. And I gave birth in England where the other women in the labour ward were yelling for gas.

Thankfully, I haven't had any dental work that has required a painkiller.

Numbing isn't as necessary as many people think. I wouldn't do a root canal without anything, but getting a small cavity filled? I would way rather skip the novocain and anything else.

I don't have dental anxiety though, that would be a game changer.

Numbing isn't as necessary as many people think. I wouldn't do a root canal without anything, but getting a small cavity filled? I would way rather skip the novocain and anything else.

I am the same.   Plus, that shot HURTS.   

• Like 2

These are not small cavities. 

But yeah it's not absolutely necessary in terms of the pain.    Good for anxiety.

Yes, it is necessary. When I was a kid our dentist used gas for tooth extraction but nothing, NOTHING, for any other dental work. He never used anything to numb the area. Drilling hurts. Getting a cavity hurts. His decision to not use any numbing agent is, I believe, the cause of my dental anxiety. I'm very nearly a senior citizen (some would say I'm there already) and I still have dental anxiety thanks to that dentist. I don't know why my mother thought he was such a great dentist. He was our pediatrician's cousin and the pedi was wonderful, so maybe that had something to do with it. I should have asked her while she was still alive. Other dentists in our city didn't have the same policy he did so I can't say it was common in our area or was something they did "back then". 

• Like 1

Oh, man, just the thought of them scraping that little hook on my teeth is enough to send me over the edge. 

I'm so thankful for novocain and all the rest of it! 

• Like 4

Oh, man, just the thought of them scraping that little hook on my teeth is enough to send me over the edge.

I'm so thankful for novocain and all the rest of it!

Definitely one of those things where it is great that it is available for those who find it helpful.

I don't like the numbing sensation, especially when it lingers for hours after the work has been done, and don't mind at all putting up with a bit of discomfort in the moment just be done when done.

But this totally depends on the type of work. I would not go for deep dental work with nothing--the dentist would end up with a finger bitten off for sure!

• Like 1

Yes, it is necessary. When I was a kid our dentist used gas for tooth extraction but nothing, NOTHING, for any other dental work. He never used anything to numb the area. Drilling hurts. Getting a cavity hurts. His decision to not use any numbing agent is, I believe, the cause of my dental anxiety. I'm very nearly a senior citizen (some would say I'm there already) and I still have dental anxiety thanks to that dentist. I don't know why my mother thought he was such a great dentist. He was our pediatrician's cousin and the pedi was wonderful, so maybe that had something to do with it. I should have asked her while she was still alive. Other dentists in our city didn't have the same policy he did so I can't say it was common in our area or was something they did "back then".

I'm sorry about your experience.

Personal experience and perceptions are so different. Most of my family prefer to do cavities without novocain. We dislike the effects of novocain more than the pain of drilling.

Maybe we're all weird but four generations all feel the same way--after experiencing both.

We specifically chose the dentist most of us go to because he was one of the few in the area willing to fill cavities without novocain. My oldest was 7 at the time and hated hated hated dental work with novocain. She was so happy when the dentist let her skip it.

Edited by maize

Just clarifying since I've posted several times: I don't think there is something innately superior about doing dental work without pain relief agents. It is just my personal preference because with minor stuff the effects of the pain relief stuff bother me more than the pain of the procedures. For people who have the opposite experience it would not be a good choice.

I just find it interesting that many people don't even consider it an option. My mom always hated dental work because she reacted badly to novocain (and nitrous oxide made her nauseous); it was her MIL who suggested she try without and she found she much preferred it that way.

what the what...nothing to numb the area?!

holy hell

now that I would not go for

I really cannot understand having a filling done without numbing. They're basically drilling right into the nerve. I would pull my own tooth with a pair of pliers before I let a dentist drill into it without numbing.

I seem to have a high pain tolerance for other things but NOT for having my teeth drilled.

• Like 2

I really cannot understand having a filling done without numbing. They're basically drilling right into the nerve. I would pull my own tooth with a pair of pliers before I let a dentist drill into it without numbing.

I seem to have a high pain tolerance for other things but NOT for having my teeth drilled.

Uh yeah....

If it's not too deep maybe.  But I wouldn't want to even chance it. 

Fillings do not involve drilling into the nerve.

Once the nerve becomes involved you are looking at a root canal. Definitely would not do that without some kind of anesthetic.

Edited by maize

Once the nerve becomes involved you are looking at a root canal. Definitely would. Not do that without some kind of anesthetic.

Well she said she was very close to the nerve.  So one little movement too far.....

no no...no thanks

scary

I will say though, that the site where she injected me was sore after.  Not anywhere after so definitely I can see how the needle might be more pain than it is worth. 

I hate the injections.  Not because of pain.  Just ...after it feels funky as heck and is annoying.  I have no ill effects from the gas though.  That's good stuff. 

• Like 3

Once the nerve becomes involved you are looking at a root canal. Definitely would. Not do that without some kind of anesthetic.

The vibration of the drill goes directly into the nerve.

I've had dentists start to drill (just barely start) before I'm completely numb, i nearly fly out of the chair.

My dentists office knows I need more time to get numb.

It's really not a pain that I can compare to anything else.

• Like 1

I've had dentists start to drill (just barely start) before I'm completely numb, i nearly fly out of the chair.

People definitely have different levels of tooth sensitivity, so it's good to know yourself.

• Like 1

Yes to all of the above. Plus pain in not only subjective, but the type of pain people can handle differs. Most people couldn't tolerate the back pain I live with every day. In fact, I've known people who were nearly immobilized by the kind of pain I have to live with. Yet I can't handle even mild pain in my mouth. For others (Maize is obviously among them   ;) ) pain in the mouth is no big deal.

• Like 4

Yes to all of the above. Plus pain in not only subjective, but the type of pain people can handle differs. Most people couldn't tolerate the back pain I live with every day. In fact, I've known people who were nearly immobilized by the kind of pain I have to live with. Yet I can't handle even mild pain in my mouth. For others (Maize is obviously among them ;) ) pain in the mouth is no big deal.

Yes, and I don't think it is just perception and tolerance either. I think the actual pain levels differ.

Have you ever met a woman who claimed that labor was nearly painless for her? I can't imagine that but I believe it is true for some. I'm convinced that not all of us have identical pain transmission nerve systems. In fact I know we don't.

• Like 2

Definitely one of those things where it is great that it is available for those who find it helpful.

I don't like the numbing sensation, especially when it lingers for hours after the work has been done, and don't mind at all putting up with a bit of discomfort in the moment just be done when done.

But this totally depends on the type of work. I would not go for deep dental work with nothing--the dentist would end up with a finger bitten off for sure!

The numbing is much different than it used to be -- I used to stay numb for hours, but whatever my dentist uses now is something that wears off very quickly.

• Like 3

I went for years without anesthesia because I had such a horrendously painful experience at a hospital when my nail got ripped out of its bed.  They kept injecting me over and over with novocaine and it DID NOT WORK,  That was painful and happened in my early 20's.  So for a number of years I would basically try to focus my attention elsewhere like the stupid ceiling tiles. The one time I was having a muscle biopsy, they gave me lots of Benadryl.  No one ever suggested anything else until I was in my later 30's where a dentist said "Let's try carbocaine instead"  It worked and I have been getting dentistry without pain ever since which is very good since I have had a crown put on. 

As to gas, I don't think I have ever had it.  I remember breathing in a gas when I was having an operation but that was to put me to sleep.  I had IV pain medication with births.  I think my husband had gas with dentistry and ended up vomiting as a child.  I don't know whether he would want it again.

• Like 1

The numbing is much different than it used to be -- I used to stay numb for hours, but whatever my dentist uses now is something that wears off very quickly.

I had a root canal a few weeks ago and I was able to eat a couple hours after leaving the dentist.
  • Like 3

I had a horrible hallucinatory experience with it as a child and haven't let a dentist give it to me since I've been old enough to choose.

Add me to the bad reaction group. It makes me very labile and depressed and I feel that way for a few days afterward. Ick.

Word. Give me the lidocaine for that even as I drool and bite my lip and cheek accidentally for hours after.

My dentist swabs some kind of gel on the area before giving the shot. Whatever it is works very well because I don't feel the needle.

That gel stuff is just a pointer to where the shot and pain will be.   It seems to do nothing else for me.  The shot the dentist gives is more painful than 6 stitches in my scalp done without numbing.  

As a side topic about nitrous oxide reactions, nitrous elevates homocysteine in those with an MTHFR homogenous mutation (and that group may also have high levels of homocysteine from not metabolizing B vitamins well).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18580170

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/19/e289

Two out of five in my family fall in this group.

You are welcome for the PSA. :)

• Like 6

I had gas and air for one of my births and paramedics brought it with them last year when my eldest dislocated her kneecap. She seemed to take more of a while to get it out of her system and got really silly and they said that was normal for some people.

I think it's ideal for quick procedures if you get on with it.

• Like 2

As a side topic about nitrous oxide reactions, nitrous elevates homocysteine in those with an MTHFR homogenous mutation (and that group may also have high levels of homocysteine from not metabolizing B vitamins well).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18580170

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/111/19/e289

Two out of five in my family fall in this group.

You are welcome for the PSA. :)

I was going to post the same thing.  There is a small bit of controversy/unclear evidence, but depending on the situation, the risk may outweigh the benefit for some, as I discussed with the anesthesiologist the other day when my compound-heterozygous MTHFR kiddo was prepping for a surgery.  The anesthesiologist agreed.

Edited by wapiti
  • Like 1

Our brother fraternity used to sell balloons of it at parties, so one night I went around picking up the discarded balloons. Then I blew then up myself and undercut their prices. Plus, I totally hammed up my own reactions to my own merchandise. I heard one kid say to another, "That's nitrous? I didn't feel a thing!" Then the fraternity boys found me and asked me nicely to stop my fun and games. Party poopers!

Sent from my XT1049 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I think most medical professionals I've seen about my or my spouse's pain issues have made a joke about wanting to take a tank home as it's usually the first go to and used often while triaging emergency pain issues so it's a common talking point.  Personally, I found biting on the nozzle more helpful than the actual gas&air, including for birth, mostly because I find the lightheaded feeling makes me more anxious rather than relaxed. Heat packs and counter pressure are far more effective for me.

For the dentist, on their recommendation, I take my top level pain killers plus all the numbing they recommend. I know others who use headphones & loud music as the loud vibrations apparently help counter the drilling feeling, but for all my pain tolerances built up elsewhere, my mouth is a very overly sensitive delicate wuss. I use ultrasoft toothbrushes and everything. 

I think most medical professionals I've seen about my or my spouse's pain issues have made a joke about wanting to take a tank home as it's usually the first go to and used often while triaging emergency pain issues so it's a common talking point.  Personally, I found biting on the nozzle more helpful than the actual gas&air, including for birth, mostly because I find the lightheaded feeling makes me more anxious rather than relaxed. Heat packs and counter pressure are far more effective for me.

For the dentist, on their recommendation, I take my top level pain killers plus all the numbing they recommend. I know others who use headphones & loud music as the loud vibrations apparently help counter the drilling feeling, but for all my pain tolerances built up elsewhere, my mouth is a very overly sensitive delicate wuss. I use ultrasoft toothbrushes and everything. 

I can't take pain killers due to GI issues so at least there is something available for me!

• Like 1

That gel stuff is just a pointer to where the shot and pain will be.   It seems to do nothing else for me.  The shot the dentist gives is more painful than 6 stitches in my scalp done without numbing.  

Me too. It's really just a surface numbing and doesn't do anything for the deeper pain of the shot. Plus, it runs down my throat and numbs it and for the next few hours I feel like I'm choking and have to actively calm myself over and over until it's gone. I looooove nitrous, but I can get away with just using it for the shot these days.

Edited by ILiveInFlipFlops

I've never had gas. I never had dentist anxiety until I had an experience overseas that scarred me. Apparently, the dentist didn't believe in 'wasting' any anesthesia. She was filling some gumline exposures, and I was gripping the chair harder and harder. Finally I said, "You are going to have to give me some anesthetic!" She replied very casually, "Oh, no, we're almost done." I wanted to kick her and scream, "You're right, you're almost done, 'cause I'm about to rise up out of this chair!" I have a pretty high tolerance for pain; at least, that's what my OBGYN for my first child told me. No pain reliever for childbirth except for a little bit when twins were born and one had to be manipulated down. But my teeth? You probably shouldn't be in kicking distance of my feet.

Same here.  I know it's the cause, spent my teen years having everything he did pulled out and redone.

• Like 1