Menu

if they sold nitrous on the street corner

SparklyUnicorn

A hospital where I live just started using it for births!!! All the doulas in the area are thrilled as the side effects are supposed to be almost nil compared to other alternatives! It's super popular for births in England.

I soooo am tempted to switch providers/hospitals. I love

Me some nitrous oxide 😳

• Like 2

A hospital where I live just started using it for births!!! All the doulas in the area are thrilled as the side effects are supposed to be almost nil compared to other alternatives! It's super popular for births in England.

Me some nitrous oxide 😳

Oh that's a brilliant idea!  Because really the effects wear off quickly and you don't feel hung over or lousy.  I leave that place in a few minutes and drive myself home.  No problem.

• Like 1

Coulda used that yesterday. I was getting fitted (fit? a fitting?) for a crown on a tooth that is... not cooperating. Or rather, the gum surrounding it is not cooperating. First time I've actually had to ask for numbing, usually I'm kind of meh about it.

Nitrous oxide reminds me of that movie with Chris Farley and David Spade where they get pulled over and the stuff has leaked in the car's trunk. Black Sheep, I think?

• Like 1

I love that stuff. My old dentist used to give to me for my teeth cleaning. I miss that. My current dentist will numb my gums for me but no gas.

The place I go to caters to people who freak out at the dentist.  So they'll give me whatever I want.  LOL

It really makes a huge difference for me though.  As soon as I walk in that place I feel like passing out.  It's awful! 

• Like 4

Can't you get it at a restaurant supply? Isn't it the same stuff used for propellant in whipped cream.

Yep, you can get a hold of it pretty easily...and it can be dangerous stuff.

My freshman year, a dorm mate who lived a few rooms over died of asphyxiation while recreationally using nitrous oxide.

Wendy

Can't you get it at a restaurant supply? Isn't it the same stuff used for propellant in whipped cream.

The three most common sources of tanks are:

1) Restaurant supply

2) Medical (mixed with 02 for safety)

3) Drag Racing(typically mixed trace S02 to help find fuel line leaks) not at all suitable for recreational use due to rotten egg scent.

You skip the cream and just get the gas from the can. These are important things you can observe and/or do in college to add to worldly skills you've accumulated.

LOL

Yeah I don't think I'd enjoy that.

I must have been a very lame college student.  Although it seemed the drug of choice when I went was LSD (which I have never tried).

Me some nitrous oxide 😳

I guess everything old is new again, because they were using that back in the 40's!!  My Grandmother had gas for all three of her labors and those were all just after WWII. 

The three most common sources of tanks are:

1) Restaurant supply

2) Medical (mixed with 02 for safety)

3) Drag Racing(typically mixed trace S02 to help find fuel line leaks) not at all suitable for recreational use due to rotten egg scent.

I thought Sparkly was developing an interest in drag racing, isn't it used for speed (trading off cylinder damage i presume), or is that just in the movies? Are you building a hot-rod in your garage? Maybe a homeschooling project. Or trying to beat your record time for bacon pickup?

According to my dentist there is a Nitrous shortage nationwide. Dd had to have work done last week and they were out. She was much braver than I am, because I would've said, thanks, I'll wait. :) 

I guess everything old is new again, because they were using that back in the 40's!!  My Grandmother had gas for all three of her labors and those were all just after WWII. 

I have to wonder why on earth they stopped.

I had an epi (ok if they manage to do it correctly...but there are issues with that...and risks).  I had Stadol.  HORRIBLE....no words can describe how stupid that stuff is. 

I have to wonder why on earth they stopped.

I had an epi (ok if they manage to do it correctly...but there are issues with that...and risks).  I had Stadol.  HORRIBLE....no words can describe how stupid that stuff is. 

If I had to hazard a guess it's because in the US, new is always considered "better", particularly when it comes to children or pharmaceuticals. Birthing babies gets to combine both.  :glare:

According to my dentist there is a Nitrous shortage nationwide. Dd had to have work done last week and they were out. She was much braver than I am, because I would've said, thanks, I'll wait. :)

Yes, at Christmas, there was a story on how whipped cream in cans was in short supply. In response the Today Show did a cooking segment on how to make your own whipped cream. I was laughing that this was presented as a complicated art.

• Like 2

I guess everything old is new again, because they were using that back in the 40's!! My Grandmother had gas for all three of her labors and those were all just after WWII.

That's what my mom always said. She said they gave her a gas mask that she could put on and off herself. She had her first baby in '51. I was the last, in '72, I think she had it for my delivery too.

I've never "used" nitrous. I went unconscious when getting my wisdom teeth out and freaked them out when at minimal flow it still took hours for me to wake up. Recreationally its the same. There is no flow rate where I get high before going under....

Yep, you can get a hold of it pretty easily...and it can be dangerous stuff.

My freshman year, a dorm mate who lived a few rooms over died of asphyxiation while recreationally using nitrous oxide.

This combination of mostly harmless, easy to obtain, and can kill you is why I love nitrous for drug education. We take a fairly liberal approach to drugs. Nitrous is pretty much as safe as it gets for illegal drugs and close to as safe as it gets for legal ones.

If you inhale a small balloon of nitrous at a party it is almost completely safe... unless it is really full of butane or propane or whatever... let's assume your friends aren't clueless jerks.

If you take a coupe huffs off the dude with a garbage bag full of nitrous.... most likely worst case you pass out and regain consciousness after breathing air again... assuming you have friends to protect you meanwhile...

If you really want to get messed up and you stick your head in the bag, or fill your closed space with nitrous, without anyone "clean" around... bad stuff happens and people die. You pass out and don't get air and asphyxiate.

So for me the lessons for this or any drug:

1: Take it slow to test the effects on you.

2. Don't overdo it... in this case have pure air quickly available.

3. Have a "designated driver" who is sober and can pull the plug if things go south,

By and large these are things that apply to any drugs, legal or otherwise.

People die drinking water until they hallucinate from whacked electrolyte balance. Stuff happens... Best to address "drug" safety in all situations, not pretending some are "safe".

• Like 1

Am I the only person here who has never been gassed? :P

I haven't. The only time I had more than a local injected anesthetic was when I had 7 extractions, mostly fully impacted ones and I paid for an anesthesiologist. They put me completely under because I had no desire to be awake for that much cutting.

I am truly not serious. 

I've never "used" nitrous. I went unconscious when getting my wisdom teeth out and freaked them out when at minimal flow it still took hours for me to wake up. Recreationally its the same. There is no flow rate where I get high before going under....

This combination of mostly harmless, easy to obtain, and can kill you is why I love nitrous for drug education. We take a fairly liberal approach to drugs. Nitrous is pretty much as safe as it gets for illegal drugs and close to as safe as it gets for legal ones.

If you inhale a small balloon of nitrous at a party it is almost completely safe... unless it is really full of butane or propane or whatever... let's assume your friends aren't clueless jerks.

If you take a coupe huffs off the dude with a garbage bag full of nitrous.... most likely worst case you pass out and regain consciousness after breathing air again... assuming you have friends to protect you meanwhile...

If you really want to get messed up and you stick your head in the bag, or fill your closed space with nitrous, without anyone "clean" around... bad stuff happens and people die. You pass out and don't get air and asphyxiate.

So for me the lessons for this or any drug:

1: Take it slow to test the effects on you.

2. Don't overdo it... in this case have pure air quickly available.

3. Have a "designated driver" who is sober and can pull the plug if things go south,

By and large these are things that apply to any drugs, legal or otherwise.

People die drinking water until they hallucinate from whacked electrolyte balance. Stuff happens... Best to address "drug" safety in all situations, not pretending some are "safe".

• Like 3

I listened to a great podcast on nitrous awhile back.  I think it was on How Stuff Works.

Growing up my dentist gave me 'laughung gas' at every visit.  He was my next door neighbor and when I was a teen his kids showed all the neighborhood teens his tank that he kept in his closet.  They said their mom and dad (the dentist) huffed it regularly.

As a teen I huffed it a couple of times and could easily see how it could be addicting.  It came in blue glass bottles (like ess. oils are sold in now).

I listened to a great podcast on nitrous awhile back.  I think it was on How Stuff Works.

Growing up my dentist gave me 'laughung gas' at every visit.  He was my next door neighbor and when I was a teen his kids showed all the neighborhood teens his tank that he kept in his closet.  They said their mom and dad (the dentist) huffed it regularly.

As a teen I huffed it a couple of times and could easily see how it could be addicting.  It came in blue glass bottles (like ess. oils are sold in now).

The podcast was Stuff You Should Know - How Nitrous Oxide Works.  It was really interesting.

The place I go to caters to people who freak out at the dentist.  So they'll give me whatever I want.  LOL

It really makes a huge difference for me though.  As soon as I walk in that place I feel like passing out.  It's awful! 

I know the feeling, I practically need Valium to take my kids in, let alone me.

• Like 1

I haven't been to a dentist who uses gas since I was a kid (and it's been a long time since I was a kid). My dentist uses novocaine or whatever the current numbing agent is. She also swabs a gel that numbs the area so the needle with the numbing stuff doesn't hurt. I always get anxious going to the dentist even though I know that dentistry today is truly painless. I have an appointment Monday that I'm already dreading, but I know I'll be fine once I get there and she gets started working on me.

Edited by Lady Florida.
  • Like 1

I know the feeling, I practically need Valium to take my kids in, let alone me.

Oh gawd.  I have DH take the kids.  I can't do it.  I do everything else for them (outside of earn the dough) so I figure he can handle this one task.  He schedules their cleanings all on the same day. 

I didn't go to a dentist for about 20 years.