Menu

Wordly Wise used in Public School..

It's our first year using Wordly Wise 3000 for vocab. I decided to use this as it is so highly rated in the HSing world.

Well, I was talking to my neighbor child, who is in 4th at PS. He said the only homework he had to do was his "Wordly Wise". I was like "what!?!?" to myself. I asked him about it and he described it so I knew it was the same thing.

So, yes, our county is one of the highest rate in Florida, but to me, doesn't say much since Florida is usually at the bottom of the barrel anyway. But PS system smart enough to pick out Wordly Wise!?!?

Ugh, even though it's not WW3000's fault, it suddenly dropped a notch in my belt :(.

K

It's our first year using Wordly Wise 3000 for vocab. I decided to use this as it is so highly rated in the HSing world.

Well, I was talking to my neighbor child, who is in 4th at PS. He said the only homework he had to do was his "Wordly Wise". I was like "what!?!?" to myself. I asked him about it and he described it so I knew it was the same thing.

So, yes, our county is one of the highest rate in Florida, but to me, doesn't say much since Florida is usually at the bottom of the barrel anyway. But PS system smart enough to pick out Wordly Wise!?!?

Ugh, even though it's not WW3000's fault, it suddenly dropped a notch in my belt :(.

K

I think it's great that your district has found such a good program. I'm at a loss as to why that would bother you. Public schools are not the enemy, you know.

Ria

I found it to be superior to some vocabulary-building programs at other schools. When we homeschooled, we used Wordly Wise consistently for 5-6 years, for all three girls. We also used Vocabulary from the Classical Roots. So--in the fall we did one of the VCR books and in the spring we went through one of the Wordly Wise books. It was fairly simple to do one chapter per week.

Doing both Wordly Wise and VCR has helped my older two daughters (both of whom were homeschooled the longest, for seven years) to literally top off the charts for every verbal/English type test: the Stanford Achievement Test, the Iowa Test of Basic Skills, and recently for my oldest, the PSAT and the ACT. Both older girls are very strong readers, and since vocabulary and understanding vocabulary both in and out of the context of a sentence is important (i.e., analogies, antonyms, etc.), both programs were instrumental in helping them with these standardized tests. Not to mention it gave them a great boost in their vocabulary!

Don't feel bad about the program! Just because the public schools use it doesn't mean it's not a quality program!

HTH!

Wordly Wise is a "gifted and talented" program thing in our district. Now whether I think that's the best use of it is beside the point... but there was a big stink one year when the school board said it wasn't in the budget, and I thought "Oh for Pete's sake it's only like $8!" And the number of parents who said it was "the highlight of my son's year" or something like that... I mean... wow. First off, that it only costs $8 to make someone's year, but second that a workbook vocabulary program (albeit a rather good one) really was the pinnacle?

It's still a good program... but I'm glad I can just buy it myself rather than hope the school board can find $8 to get it for me! (And that we've got so many other things going on that a workbook, as enjoyable as it is, isn't the highlight of our year!)

The new Singapore math was made to correlate with California standards. I wonder if they are using it? I think so, but I'm not sure.:confused:

I know one local school system uses Singapore for their gifted program, but I'm not sure if it is the standards version or US version. I believe they may also use WW.

I know one local school system uses Singapore for their gifted program, but I'm not sure if it is the standards version or US version. I believe they may also use WW.

The school district I attended (a very long time ago :D) uses Singapore Math. I'm glad that they choose quality programs!

I started homeschooling my youngest ds when he was in 3rd grade. The reason we chose Wordly Wise for him at home was because he had been using it in school and I thought it was a solid program. My older two dc also used Wordly Wise in public school during their elementary years. They remember it fondly, in fact my dd chose to use WW when studying at home in her high school years for her SATs. It's a good program whether for public/private or homeschools.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Wordly Wise has been around for ages and was first used in the public schools. When the big homeschooling movement started gaining momentum homeschoolers did not have the choices they have today and so they worked with the best that they could find available. Wordly Wise is is still one of the best vocabulary programs around imo.

Don't feel bad about the program! Just because the public schools use it doesn't mean it's not a quality program!

I have been rather surprised to find the attitude that if the public schools touch something it is somehow besmirched to be much more common in at least local hs circles than I would have thought. I know our local hs store refuses to even carry the Singapore Standards edition because "if the public schools are going to use it that's enough to convince me not to". This even though it is primarily a rearrangement of the material in the US edition, and only adding one or two topics throughout the whole thing----the additional material, per the publisher, comes from an earlier edition of Singapore (shrug).

I would be happy to see our public schools adopt many of the materials we personally use and have a variety of options to be able to match students with things that resonate for them, even though I know that that wouldn't truly work in an institutional setting.

I think it's great that your district has found such a good program. I'm at a loss as to why that would bother you. Public schools are not the enemy, you know.

Ria

It might bother some that if they like a program and see that it has failed so many students (local ps testing results prove it) then that is a direct result of the efficiency of the program, therefore knocking your opinion of the product down a notch. But in reality any program can fail one and succeed tremendously with another. It is more in the way it is implemented and taught, IMO.

Wordly Wise was written for public schools, and was used there long before hsers picked up on it. And that would be true of all the materials EPS publishes, including Explode the Code and the Stewart English Program. Similarly, the Spalding Method is still used primarily in public schools (and private schools)...not enough public schools, but still, that's where Mrs. Spalding developed her method.

Once in a while public schools get it right.:D

I have been rather surprised to find the attitude that if the public schools touch something it is somehow besmirched to be much more common in at least local hs circles than I would have thought. I know our local hs store refuses to even carry the Singapore Standards edition because "if the public schools are going to use it that's enough to convince me not to". This even though it is primarily a rearrangement of the material in the US edition, and only adding one or two topics throughout the whole thing----the additional material, per the publisher, comes from an earlier edition of Singapore (shrug).

I don't mind at all using something that the public school uses but I have run many who do.

The reason I brought up Singapore and California standards is because SEVERAL programs have that notation now. I'm using a science book that states "Meets California state standards". I was just wondering if the schools in California were actually using them or if publishers are just using the quote to let you know the program has a "high standard". (I understand California's is considered higher.)

I don't mind at all using something that the public school uses but I have run many who do.

The reason I brought up Singapore and California standards is because SEVERAL programs have that notation now. I'm using a science book that states "Meets California state standards". I was just wondering if the schools in California were actually using them or if publishers are just using the quote to let you know the program has a "high standard". (I understand California's is considered higher.)

Don't know. Actually, I was not referring to your bringing up Singapore---this was simply an example that I have encountered locally when I was looking for the standards edition for our use (so far we like it quite well). It's more about the view that if any public school uses it, it automatically must be inferior, when I don't see that same feeling if it's used by private schools.

I've had success with things used by public schools and failures with things very popular among other homeschoolers that public schools have never touched. I think it's all about how it's used and the fit of the program with one's style and goals.

Don't know. Actually, I was not referring to your bringing up Singapore---this was simply an example that I have encountered locally when I was looking for the standards edition for our use (so far we like it quite well). quote]

I've never heard of this edition. Can you summarize briefly what kind of changes were made? Is there more review, for example, or do they combine topics from different levels into one level so that there is more variety each year?

Unlike you, I was delighted to see that this child of mine, who had never been to public school until this year, would have a shot at using what I already knew to be a quality program. For the record, she and most of her classmates are using Level 8.

Please. I know that public schools have many ills -- in fact, I was bemoaning one aspect of that today in my real life. But, they don't all do *everything* wrong, and their use of a good program certainly doesn't make it any less of a good program.

Respectfully,

I've never heard of this edition. Can you summarize briefly what kind of changes were made? Is there more review, for example, or do they combine topics from different levels into one level so that there is more variety each year?

Here's the link to the full comparison http://www.singaporemath.com/FAQ_Primary_Math_s/15.htm#PrimaryMathStdEdition

Basically, there is a bit more built in review, they've moved some topics around between the levels and added in material on data analysis and probability, negative numbers, solid and plane geometry and coordinate graphing (overall, not in each year :). In looking at my friend's PM US edition 3A and our standards edition, much of the material was the same.