Menu

Untwisting Perceptions: Autism, Parenting, and Victimhood by Shannon Des Roches Rosa

Caregivers who murder their disabled children/spouses/etc. show the failure of our society to provide adequate support services. Obviously it is NEVER ok to snap and harm another human, but if there weren't so many obstacles to getting respite hours and mental health counseling/therapy funding a LOT of these tragedies could be prevented.

The author of the linked blog seems to be lacking empathy for overwhelmed caregivers. :thumbdown:

Caregivers who murder their disabled children/spouses/etc. show the failure of our society to provide adequate support services. Obviously it is NEVER ok to snap and harm another human, but if there weren't so many obstacles to getting respite hours and mental health counseling/therapy funding a LOT of these tragedies could be prevented.

The author of the linked blog seems to be lacking empathy for overwhelmed caregivers. :thumbdown:

No she isn't. She talks about the absence of supports and services also. And she gives credit to her supports as being her source of strength. She says that she is not strong without them. I think you may have missed some of the points she was trying to make! Edited by Guest

She did give a lot of credit to her support.

The statement I quoted below has been something I have believed for a long time and has caused battles between me and other family members who want everyone to be normal. This has been frustrating even in their reactions to my NT children and I think it is something parents of NT children could remember too.

"And it took years, but I eventually realized that parenting is not about fixing. It's about supporting, accepting, finding best practices, and fighting for your kids' rights. It's about unconditional love. And it's about putting your kids first. About making other people see your kids -- and kids like them -- the way you do, the way every kid deserves. About accepting the changes kids bring to your life, even if they weren't what you expected."

• Like 2