Menu

A Subject-based Transcript

Day to Day in Belize blog: Subject Transcript Instead of Yearly -- scroll down to the link for the template

Let's Homeschool Highschool: Transcript Template -- pdf or Word formats; subject-based transcript

Lee Binz: Sample Transcript by Subject -- while she has all the info you need, I DON'T recommend this format -- VERY difficult to see what's what

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Day to Day in Belize blog: Subject Transcript Instead of Yearly -- scroll down to the link for the template

Let's Homeschool Highschool: Transcript Template -- pdf or Word formats; subject-based transcript

Lee Binz: Sample Transcript by Subject -- while she has all the info you need, I DON'T recommend this format -- VERY difficult to see what's what

Thank you.

Also, my son did the first part of BJU Earth Science and we switched to Runkles Physical Geography to complete. How would I mark that?

I thought just put 1 credit Earth sci. and put the course description separately with the resources.

The mapping geography and cultural are separate, which I'll combine into one, I guess calling World Geo.

What do you think?

Edited by historymatters

There's one that was linked in this recent thread on the college board.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/640464-for-those-who-have-graduated-kids-in-hshelp/

I like it because while it organizes classes by subject, it also shows what year each grade was earned, and it has space to list high school courses completed in 8th grade and below.

Thank you. Yes, I need to be able to list some pre-9th grade, but for high credit, courses.

Thank you.

Also, my son did the first part of BJU Earth Science and we switched to Runkles Physical Geography to complete. How would I mark that?

I thought just put 1 credit Earth sci. and put the course description separately with the resources.

The mapping geography and cultural are separate, which I'll combine into one, I guess calling World Geo.

What do I think?

If the course content complemented each other and covered the full range of earth science I would probably call it earth science for 1 credit (assuming a full school year course).

I would write the course description as a single course mentioning any topics covered as if they were a single unit. If you covered the same topic twice due to using the two books I wouldn't mention the duplication.  After all my course descriptions I  included a list of texts used, I would list both books (alphabetically by author).

• Like 1

Yes, the courses complement one another. My son really disliked BJU ( a first for us using that company). I read elsewhere on the forum about using BJU up to a certain point in Bk A and switching to Runkles.

Thanks for the details for how to work it out officially.

Edited by historymatters

Also, my dd took a Landry pre-Anatomy and Physiology class, which used Body by Design; and a pre-Biology class, which uses Shepherd Life Science.

Both teachers say I can claim .5 credit for each. The pre-bio has experiments.

How would I write this on a subject transcript? Under one umbrella term as 1 credit total (amd what would that term be?) or separately? I tend towards separately, since one has experiments.

What do you think?

On 3/22/2017 at 7:39 AM, historymatters said:

Also, my dd took a Landry pre-Anatomy and Physiology class, which used Body by Design; and a pre-Biology class, which uses Shepherd Life Science.

Both teachers say I can claim .5 credit for each. The pre-bio has experiments.

How would I write this on a subject transcript? Under one umbrella term as 1 credit total (amd what would that term be?) or separately? I tend towards separately, since one has experiments.

What do you think?

Just me, without knowing anything about the classes and the content, but the word "pre-" attached to each of these course sounds like "before the real thing" -- a beginner introduction, before going on to the real, full, regular version. Pre-Biology and Pre-A&P sound like "Pre-Algebra", which is not put on the high school transcript (unless it is remedial, and that is what math the student *was* doing in 9th or 10th grade).

If these were taken while in middle school, because these courses sound like "prep", I would not expect to see these on the high school transcript, but would expect to see regular or advanced versions of these courses taken during high school. If that is the case, I would not include these on the transcript.

Or, if these courses were taken by a high school student, then yes, put them on the transcript. As an outsider, I would assume that, if I didn't see any further/advanced courses in these science areas, that "Pre-" classes were the lighter/remedial versions ("pre-") that a high school student weaker in science accomplished.

Or, if there were also more advanced versions of the courses in addition to the "Pre-" courses, I would assume that the high school student was highly interested in and planning on going towards a life-science field later on, and is taking multiple courses in the subject area to feed that interest.

Just how it looks to me from the outside. ?

Edited by Lori D.

Just me, without knowing anything about the classes and the content, but the word "pre-" attached to each of these course sounds like "before the real thing" -- a beginner introduction, before going on to the real, full, regular version. Pre-Biology and Pre-A&P sound like "Pre-Algebra", which is not put on the high school transcript (unless it is remedial, and that is what math the student *was* doing in 9th or 10th grade).

I agree with Lori D above.

However, if I were to put them on a transcript then I would list each as its own 1 semester course for 0.5 credit each.

I should add that I tend to organize our education plan into semesters mentally and on transcripts.  It is the system I am most comfortable with-even though many years we engage in year 'round schooling.  I think this is the system most commonly seen on college applications.  One could also use a quarter or trimester system and have the transcript reflect this.  I would just be prepared in your school report to explain the system to any colleges applied to and to explain how the GPA was calculated.

As another side note, I have, at times prepared a transcript for a kid that included some work done in middle school.  This was used for job, volunteer or other activity related applications.  For anything submitted as part of a college application or final (graduation) transcript, I removed these courses with the exception of foreign language and math classes taken at the high school level (mostly in 8th grade).

SaveSave