Menu

Do I need an anti-RFID wallet?

Xuzi

DH and I are going to Switzerland this year (YAY!!!) and we're hearing a lot of comments about getting anti-RFID wallets or sleeves for our credit cards and passports. Google has mixed opinions. Some people saying your card being "wirelessly scanned" is paranoid hype, others saying it happened to them (but they it could also be that their card information was stolen via a skimmer).

What says the hive? Our cards have the new chip technology, but I cannot do the tap-and-pay with them. Worth the extra dollars to get some sleeves for my cards, or is it hype?

We are going to Switzerland as well! Staying in Wengen :)  I actually hadn't heard anything about getting those for Switzerland. But we'll be in France before and Italy after and were more worried about those places, so we are going to get one. AAA (we're members) has some that are very reasonably priced. Figure it can't hurt.

If you cannot tap and pay, you probably don't have a chip with a radio frequency. RFID blocking devices are not "blocking" so much as lessening the distance somebody needs to scan your stuff. So if they're walking through a crowd and walk next to you, it probably will not protect you all that well. The metal from the change in your purse blocks it, too. If you keep change :p

I guess if you're worried somebody will dump your Info from your passport, you could ask your bank for a sleeve and tape it to your passport to give yourself peace of mind? Or if you're REALLY worried, you could wish for a freak accident where the only thing that happened was your passport chip got crushed and disabled?

Anti-RFID sleeves are dirt cheap (I think I got 3 for $5 through AAA), so if it's paranoid hype, it's cheap to indulge your paranoia.  I'd get the sleeves.

DH and I are going to Switzerland this year (YAY!!!) and we're hearing a lot of comments about getting anti-RFID wallets or sleeves for our credit cards and passports. Google has mixed opinions. Some people saying your card being "wirelessly scanned" is paranoid hype, others saying it happened to them (but they it could also be that their card information was stolen via a skimmer).

What says the hive? Our cards have the new chip technology, but I cannot do the tap-and-pay with them. Worth the extra dollars to get some sleeves for my cards, or is it hype?

I have sleeves but they are cheap and fall apart.  You can just wrap your cards in aluminum foil with the same results.  I had my cards scanned while shopping a few years ago and it was a MESS to fix.  I don't care who stares at me unwrapping cards from foil if it prevents the theft.  I bought sleeves online years ago that also included passport sleeves...  

I travel fairly often internationally, and don't have one.  On the other hand, I haven't even heard of them, so who knows!   I've heard that the biggest thing to be careful of these days is when you are actually using the card and entering your PIN into the machine.  Apparently there is some tool that can read the PIN you're plugging in unless you're shielding the numbers you are tapping (with your other hand, etc.).  But I think I will have to learn more about the sleeves you're talking about!

When we went on vacation, I bought a crossbody anti RFID purse so that everything that might be scanned was protected. Of course when I took them out, they were at risk again but at least I felt safe while walking around. It also had a strap that couldn't be cut from my body.

ETA: my bag was from Travelon. I bought it from ebay to save a bit of  money.

Edited by slr1765
  • Like 1