What's with the ads?

#1 Spudater

Spudater

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2604 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:31 PM

Just wanted to say thanks to all the oldschooler/veteran/retired homeschooling parents who stick around on the boards and generously share their experience and encouragement! I really appreciate your help and perspective, even though sometimes I forget to say so when I'm freaking out over some homeschooling problem.
  • Kareni, Ellie, Another Lynn and 38 others like this

#2 Jean in Newcastle

Jean in Newcastle

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 67264 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:41 PM

Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Another Lynn, Renai, Hunter and 1 other like this

#3 MaryMak07

MaryMak07

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 195 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:47 PM

I don't post that much but agree with this sentiment! I've learned a LOT from this group!
  • Another Lynn, Hunter, elroisees and 1 other like this

#4 HeWillSoar

HeWillSoar

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:08 PM

I agree!!! I'm so appreciative!!!
  • Another Lynn and Hunter like this

#5 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31555 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:41 PM

:001_wub:

• Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn, Renai and 3 others like this

#6 nansk

nansk

Curriculum hoarder

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3256 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 11:59 PM

Yes, I also appreciate those who stay on these boards after their dc have graduated and keep sharing their wisdom. 

I try to pay it forward and contribute to the primary school threads on the K-8 board.

#7 peaceful isle

peaceful isle

mother of the blue eyed ones

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3361 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:00 AM

Absolutely! Thanks to you all! 💕

#8 Another Lynn

Another Lynn

From the land of Lynn's Learning Lockdown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10145 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 05:48 AM

I agree!  Thanks for keeping us honest and reminding us of where we've come from!   :001_tt1:

• Hunter likes this

#9 LMD

LMD

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3556 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:08 AM

Yes! You are invaluable, and help me feel like this whole crazy thing might actually work out...
Thank you, please stay!
  • Hunter and HeWillSoar like this

#10 G5052

G5052

Retired Homeschool Mom -- they're in college!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9373 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:16 AM

We do it because we  :wub: y'all.

I'll be "retired" in about 2 1/2 months, and I plan to stick around!

Edited by G5052, 21 March 2017 - 07:17 AM.

• Ellie, Margaret in CO, Renai and 7 others like this

#11 jjeepa

jjeepa

Hive Mind Level 6 Worker: Scout Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:23 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to all the oldschooler/veteran/retired homeschooling parents who stick around on the boards and generously share their experience and encouragement! I really appreciate your help and perspective, even though sometimes I forget to say so when I'm freaking out over some homeschooling problem.

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree:   Yes!  This board has been invaluable.  I'm so appreciative!  

#12 ThatBookwormMom

ThatBookwormMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1015 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:54 AM

Adding my gratitude here! It's wonderful to read calm, experienced advice in the midst of questions and angst.

Thank you for passing on your wisdom.

#13 rutamattatt

rutamattatt

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 392 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

LOVE having the folks here with great experience and hindsight.  There's nothing like being encouraged by those who have BTDT.  Thanks y'all!

#14 waa510

waa510

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:30 AM

Another grateful mom trying to glean all I can! The advice and the BTDT helps reassure me so much. Thanks!

#15 madteaparty

madteaparty

Hive Mind Worker Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4386 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:35 AM

Yes, thank you so much ladies!

#16 MerryAtHope

MerryAtHope

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7673 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 01:01 PM

My "baby" graduates in May--hard to believe we'll be done soon! I'm always glad to help when I can; the WTM boards are a great place!

• Michelle in MD, Evanthe and peaceful isle like this

#17 Hunter

Hunter

hunter of input

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25961 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Once a homeschoolers always a homeschoolers. Homeschooling sometimes changes the life of the parent more than the child. We gain a confidence and meet more of the world than is the norm. We read more books. We do more art. The time isolated from the norm lets us find ourselves a bit. The lower income means we often need to learn some creativity and frugalness. The list goes on and on and on.

We don't stop self-educating when the youngest is done. It becomes a life long habit that is as natural a breathing. We keep wondering. We keep noticing.

And we recognize homeschoolers across a large room or park, because we know our own. We are like the dogs meeting in a park. It is instinct.

Just like a doctor doesn't even really stop being a doctor. He can't turn it off. Or a retired preacher. Some ballet dancers even at 90 years old, just have that way of moving.

There is something about the self-education process that is life changing.
  • Barb_, Jean in Newcastle, Ellie and 27 others like this

#18 texasmom33

texasmom33

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5652 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:36 PM

Once a homeschoolers always a homeschoolers. Homeschooling sometimes changes the life of the parent more than the child. We gain a confidence and meet more of the world than is the norm. We read more books. We do more art. The time isolated from the norm lets us find ourselves a bit. The lower income means we often need to learn some creativity and frugalness. The list goes on and on and on.

We don't stop self-educating when the youngest is done. It becomes a life long habit that is as natural a breathing. We keep wondering. We keep noticing.

And we recognize homeschoolers across a large room or park, because we know our own. We are like the dogs meeting in a park. It is instinct.

Just like a doctor doesn't even really stop being a doctor. He can't turn it off. Or a retired preacher. Some ballet dancers even at 90 years old, just have that way of moving.

Because liking this wasn't enough.  :001_wub: this Hunter! 

• Hunter, Michelle in MD, Silver Brook and 1 other like this

#19 _______

_______

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4923 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 03:47 PM

nm 

Edited by _ -_-, 10 April 2017 - 03:32 PM.

• Jean in Newcastle, Ellie, Hunter and 3 others like this

#20 ScoutTN

ScoutTN

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7650 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 07:47 PM

Amen and amen! 

• Hunter likes this

#21 Ausmumof3

Ausmumof3

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5187 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 08:42 PM

So true!
  • Hunter likes this

#22 birchbark

birchbark

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1950 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:19 PM

Yes!!!

• Hunter likes this

#23 Ellie

Ellie

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31555 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 10:40 PM

This is absolutely true. I will always be a homeschooler. The decision to bring my daughter home was a defining moment in my life.

• _______, Margaret in CO, Hunter and 1 other like this

#24 ThatBookwormMom

ThatBookwormMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1015 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:24 AM

I have many goals and dreams for my children in this homeschooling process.

This is my goal for me.

Edited by MamaStephanina, 22 March 2017 - 05:24 AM.

• Hunter and lanalouwho like this

#25 Beth S

Beth S

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1664 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 05:59 AM

. . . and I cannot actually believe I'm an Oldschooler.

I sorted through our 25yo dd's old homeschool papers yesterday.

Lots of papers, lots of wonderful memories . . . and a realization that lots of years have passed!

Truly, it's a joy to encourage this next generation here.

Thanks for the "shout-out". :)

The WTM book and then forum has been an anchor for us these past 20 years!

• Jean in Newcastle, _______, Hunter and 1 other like this

#26 ForeverFamily

ForeverFamily

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 614 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 10:13 AM

I really appreciate all of your wisdom as well. As a homeschooling mom to lots of littles it is easy to get caught up in the little things of the here and now and it becomes really difficult to look beyond that. All of the BTDT advice and wisdom is what helps me get through those tough moments and helps me see the larger picture, and that it will work out in the end. Your advice always helps me calm down and realize that the current curricula or book, etc. I am fretting and stressing over won't make or break my child's education. :). Thank you again to all of you.
  • Beth S, Another Lynn, MerryAtHope and 1 other like this

#27 SkateLeft

SkateLeft

Two down, two to go!

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2144 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 01:21 PM

Having such a big age spread between my oldest and youngest means that I've been around for a long time, but I have a long time yet to go! It's really weird to think back on how I did things with my oldest before the internet, and how differently I do things now with my youngest, because there are so many more resources available. 

• Jean in Newcastle, Another Lynn, Hunter and 1 other like this

#28 MrsRobinson

MrsRobinson

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 02:02 PM

These boards would NOT be the same without you all! Thank you for taking the time to share all you know with us! :001_wub:

#29 8Arrows4theLord

8Arrows4theLord

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Thank you!  :001_smile: