#1 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4373 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:08 PM

-

Edited by texasmom33, 21 March 2017 - 10:44 PM.

#2 Julie of KY

Julie of KY

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:10 PM

When I'm remediating or working on anything that is slow and difficult, I tend to do it by time. As much as I'd like to schedule it out, if it's been something difficult then it will probably remain difficult and therefore hard to put a time limit on how fast the student can learn it.

• shinyhappypeople and texasmom33 like this

#3 Zoo Keeper

Zoo Keeper

Tamer of Man and Beasts

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2078 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 09:43 PM

I'm working with a 9th grader who will *not* be done with his algebra course by the end of the year, much to his dismay.  He does not have any kind of diagnosed LD, he just needs lots of review and practice, and most algebra programs move too fast for him.  He started the year with Basic Algebra, but he felt insulted, and wanted something meatier.  So we pulled out BJU Algebra 1 (older edition)--he chose it.  Halfway through chapter 2 he stalled, and the engine just wouldn't turn over.  :wacko:   Due to temporary extreme emotional incompatibility between the student and the teacher  :p , we tried TT Algebra, so that he could yell at the computer instead of me.  He doubled up on lessons, yelled a lot,  and made it almost halfway through the course--with a average grade of 72!  I pulled the plug on that one, before things got any worse, and got Basic Algebra back out.  He said, "Mom, why did you make me switch books?  I should have just stayed with this.  This has the best explanations ever!"   :001_rolleyes:  So, we will finish out the year with Basic Algebra, and probably do a more "typical" algebra next year.  We get to be the tortoise, and not the hare.  

It has taken me 2/3 of year to figure out that working math for longer than one hour a day toasts his brain.  Even if it is "easier" concepts, or the computer, or ____. He simply reaches a point where it all starts to fall out of his head, and then "extra" work to "help" him is useless.  He spends about 25 minutes of class time with me daily, and then about 30 minutes of homework on his own.  That's it.  

He uses more of his mental energy on history, lit, and Latin.  He is doing very well in those subjects.  

So all that to say--*work for understanding*--not ___ lessons done in ___ time.  Even if you need to catch up. 

• texasmom33 likes this

#4 texasmom33

texasmom33

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4373 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:35 PM

Edited by texasmom33, 21 March 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#5 imagine.more

imagine.more

Hive Mind Level 2 Worker: Nurse Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 10:44 PM

We're using MUS Epsilon (fractions) right now as well though my dd is in 8th grade. My plan is that she can do the video lesson plus A and B, then take the test. If she gets a 90% or better she can move on. Once she stops getting A's on the tests we'll slow down again and do all the practice pages, spending a full week on each lesson vs 3 days. This worked well in Delta where she knew some division stuff but had huge gaps that meant she really benefitted from doing the whole program.
  • texasmom33 likes this