Menu

PSAT 8/9

My DD10 took PSAT 8/9 in Jan through Duke tip. Just got the score reports. I am not sure how it is compared to other kids her age. Can someone help me and let me know how she did?

Math: 460 75th percentile

Reading and writing: 410 49th percentile

Total score: 870 62nd percentile.

She is very upset looking at the percentile. I am ok with it. Is this too low?

What does the score report on the College Board website say about the samples?  For example, my DD took the PSAT 8/9 last year as an 8th grader and her percentiles were compared only to 8th graders.  Your student may (or may not) be different because she took it out of the normal age range, but it's likely that the CB site will tell you against what cohort she is being compared. (For example, my DD took the PSAT/NMSQT and, for that test, students taking the test who are younger than the normal age (11th) get thrown into the 10th grade pool, so to speak.

Regardless, your DD did extremely well; I only point this out so that you know against which pool of students she is being compared.  The CB site has far more information available than what is on the paper score reports.

• Like 1

What does the score report on the College Board website say about the samples? For example, my DD took the PSAT 8/9 last year as an 8th grader and her percentiles were compared only to 8th graders. Your student may (or may not) be different because she took it out of the normal age range, but it's likely that the CB site will tell you against what cohort she is being compared. (For example, my DD took the PSAT/NMSQT and, for that test, students taking the test who are younger than the normal age (11th) get thrown into the 10th grade pool, so to speak.

Regardless, your DD did extremely well; I only point this out so that you know against which pool of students she is being compared. The CB site has far more information available than what is on the paper score reports.

I have not yet looked at the CB. Hive is my goto. lol

Will definitely check it out. But the score report says against 8th graders. Going to CB right now

• Like 2

I had a conversation with DS's math teacher, who has created his own high school math curriculum (www.mrdmath.com) and who also teaches SAT/ACT boot camps, after my 9th grade DS took the PSAT last fall.   (I had DS take the 11th grade version, rather than the PSAT 8/9 or PSAT 10.)  The teacher said that the math sections on the new SAT and PSAT are leaning more on advanced math topics that aren't typically covered until Algebra II and/or Trig, much more so than the older SAT test did.   The "passport to advanced math" was the only section where DS didn't score in the highest benchmark, and I think it's because he's only taken math through Geometry this year.

So for your DD to score in the 60-70th percentile as a 10 year old, compared to 13-14 year olds who have likely covered more math, is excellent.   I would recommend that she re-take the PSAT 8/9 as an 8th or 9th grader and compare her percentile to this year's score.   I think she'll be pleased with her scores by then.

I had a conversation with DS's math teacher, who has created his own high school math curriculum (www.mrdmath.com) and who also teaches SAT/ACT boot camps, after my 9th grade DS took the PSAT last fall.   (I had DS take the 11th grade version, rather than the PSAT 8/9 or PSAT 10.)  The teacher said that the math sections on the new SAT and PSAT are leaning more on advanced math topics that aren't typically covered until Algebra II and/or Trig, much more so than the older SAT test did.   The "passport to advanced math" was the only section where DS didn't score in the highest benchmark, and I think it's because he's only taken math through Geometry this year.

So for your DD to score in the 60-70th percentile as a 10 year old, compared to 13-14 year olds who have likely covered more math, is excellent.   I would recommend that she re-take the PSAT 8/9 as an 8th or 9th grader and compare her percentile to this year's score.   I think she'll be pleased with her scores by then.

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted to clarify something. The PSAT 10 is IDENTICAL to the PSAT/NMSQT, it's just offered in the spring to 10th graders and doesn't count for National Merit.  So same test, just different time and test-taking pool.  Better explanation at CB site.

(The College Board has become really quite excellent at maximizing income-generating materials.  I'd expect PSATs K-12 any time now.  :glare: )

• Like 2

What does the score report on the College Board website say about the samples? For example, my DD took the PSAT 8/9 last year as an 8th grader and her percentiles were compared only to 8th graders. Your student may (or may not) be different because she took it out of the normal age range, but it's likely that the CB site will tell you against what cohort she is being compared. (For example, my DD took the PSAT/NMSQT and, for that test, students taking the test who are younger than the normal age (11th) get thrown into the 10th grade pool, so to speak.

Regardless, your DD did extremely well; I only point this out so that you know against which pool of students she is being compared. The CB site has far more information available than what is on the paper score reports.

I don't really see any information compared to 5th graders. I am so confused.

I don't really see any information compared to 5th graders. I am so confused.

I'm sorry!  My response was more general than specific, and I think I muddied the waters.

You will NOT find any percentiles for 5th graders, because that information simply doesn't exist.  I suggested looking at the site IN CASE CB used a different comparison group for the PSAT8/9 (i.e., I wasn't sure if they perhaps had data for 7th graders).  The only entities that MIGHT have percentiles for extremely young test-takers, like your daughter, would probably be gifted programs like Duke TIP, but I don't think that information is publicly accessible.

In any event, truly, your daughter performed extremely well.  If the comparison group is 8th graders, your daughter is outperforming 62% of them.  At age 10.  Good job, mama! :thumbup:

Aww :) thank you so much. She must have got it from her dad. Lol.

When I checked the site they had just for 8th and 9th graders😓.

Bummer.  My DD took it 2015 and the sample was 8th graders, but I know that CB keeps tweaking things.  Hopefully you can get more information from the Duke TIP people.  Still, :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: for your DD.  Tell her that some imaginary woman on the Internet thinks she's awesome!

This is a little off-topic, but I wanted to clarify something. The PSAT 10 is IDENTICAL to the PSAT/NMSQT, it's just offered in the spring to 10th graders and doesn't count for National Merit.  So same test, just different time and test-taking pool.  Better explanation at CB site.

(The College Board has become really quite excellent at maximizing income-generating materials.  I'd expect PSATs K-12 any time now.  :glare: )

Thank you for clarifying.  My original post wasn't very clear. 

NUMATS said that they will be working with other talent search programs like Duke TIP to provide grade-level percentiles. But those won't be available until August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Though grade level percentiles coming from talent search organizations will not I think be representative of average same-age peers.

• Like 1

Mom2, my 6th grader also took the PSAT 8/9 in January.  He said there was a good amount of algebra and some geometry on the the test.  Don't forget, that most 8th graders have either completed alg1, or are currently taking it.  I'm guessing, since you did not explain your 10 y.o.'s math background, that  she hasn't  completed alg,   If so, her score is outstanding.

Mom2, my 6th grader also took the PSAT 8/9 in January. He said there was a good amount of algebra and some geometry on the the test. Don't forget, that most 8th graders have either completed alg1, or are currently taking it. I'm guessing, since you did not explain your 10 y.o.'s math background, that she hasn't completed alg, If so, her score is outstanding.

Dd is taking Algebra right now. She is doing Jacobs. When she gave the PSATs she was doing Prealgebra part of it. Not sure if that counts. Lol