Menu

Help the fashion challenged

creekland

At least for dress pants, I've had amazingly good luck at my local Goodwill. I think every pair I own came from there and are of very high quality. My Goodwill sorts everything by gender, style, fabric, size, and color, so it makes shopping very easy and you can try on so many different brands. I also tend to dress fairly casual most of the time, so don't really want to invest lots of money in dress clothes.

• Like 2

I think it's somewhere on the 2017 acceptances thread...

"I" actually don't mind having him (home) for another year (being totally selfish)... but I definitely feel for him and feel frustrated at the advisers his school provided.   :glare:   He's found some good allies out of it all from friends and doctors he's shadowed, etc, so not all is bad.  It's just super, super annoying.

I liked this post b/c you will enjoy having home another year, but boo hiss wrt this situation! If it's one thing I can't stand it's injustice.  :banghead: (I looked it up on the acceptance thread.)

And here I was upset that my dd took a huge hit financially and time-wise this semester b/c her paperwork was lost by a state agency. She was re-assigned to this bad location and within days they found her paperwork. Yet, she could not get put back in her first placement. Speaking of your ds and my dd, too bad I retired from mentioning her to available young men. Your son is a real catch! (So is my dd. ;))

You have a great attitude and forgive more easily than I do. That's not to my credit, but that's how it is. 

(((Creekland)))

• Like 1

And here I was upset that my dd took a huge hit financially and time-wise this semester b/c her paperwork was lost by a state agency. She was re-assigned to this bad location and within days they found her paperwork. Yet, she could not get put back in her first placement. Speaking of your ds and my dd, too bad I retired from mentioning her to available young men. Your son is a real catch! (So is my dd. ;))

You have a great attitude and forgive more easily than I do. That's not to my credit, but that's how it is. 

(((Creekland)))

Your dd's situation is really annoying too.  It's amazing just how frustrating life can be.  One can't help but mutter, "why in the world???"

I'm definitely still growling at what happened to my guy and blame myself a bit for letting the guidance counselor ball drop, but the end result is what it is and one has to move on - at least very grateful for the helpful folks in his life doing what they can.  I will have to bite my tongue hard should anyone ask me about his plans for next year while at his school.  No matter what, I can't get anyone angry there who could do damage for next year.  He still needs a good letter of recommendation from the school.  As mad as I am that they are employing worthless advisers... I must hold it in.  Hopefully no one will ask.  That will make it far easier.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

One more question as I'm planning my shopping date...

Should hubby and I be in the same color?  eg If he has a dark blue suit, should I be in blue?  

Or since middle son will be wearing black, should we all go for black?

My goal is to blend in and not stick out.

One more question as I'm planning my shopping date...

Should hubby and I be in the same color?  eg If he has a dark blue suit, should I be in blue?  

Or since middle son will be wearing black, should we all go for black?

My goal is to blend in and not stick out.

It's not that you should match.

It's that your STYLES should match, because they are both formal business outfits.

So you each have a jacket, but the jackets don't have to be the same color, for instance.  What you don't want to do is look fluffy or casual in comparison with your husband, who is dressed in a suit.

• Like 1

It's not that you should match.

It's that your STYLES should match, because they are both formal business outfits.

So you each have a jacket, but the jackets don't have to be the same color, for instance.  What you don't want to do is look fluffy or casual in comparison with your husband, who is dressed in a suit.

Thanks.  I was a little afraid of looking like the family at an amusement park all wearing the same T shirt if we went with trying to match, but OTOH, if everyone else stuck with something, then I was afraid we'd be the ones sticking out if we didn't.

Fashion is one subject I fail miserably at.  (sigh)

While no one in their right mind should ever take fashion advice from me, I do want to say that every time I fret about what to wear, I end up going to the event and realizing two things. 1) No one is ever looking at me. 2) There is always a much bigger range in style and formality than I had thought there would be--some people in shmata, and some people dressed to the nines.

I mention this only because I have a level of stress over clothing for formal events that is totally ridiculous and these two things always make me feel better. 

I hope you have a great time and feel totally at ease. 

• Like 2

While no one in their right mind should ever take fashion advice from me, I do want to say that every time I fret about what to wear, I end up going to the event and realizing two things. 1) No one is ever looking at me. 2) There is always a much bigger range in style and formality than I had thought there would be--some people in shmata, and some people dressed to the nines.

I mention this only because I have a level of stress over clothing for formal events that is totally ridiculous and these two things always make me feel better. 

I hope you have a great time and feel totally at ease. 

This one says it's Business Formal on the invite.  That's why I needed to know.  If it were just graduation or an award ceremony or presentation, etc, that didn't come with a dress code, I wouldn't be worried at all.  I just had no idea what Business Formal was and didn't want to advertise my cluelessness.

• Like 1