Menu

What if I homeschool because I feel like it's my only choice? Questioning and struggling with lack of choices.

This is so interesting to me, because I tried so many of these suggestions too, and was still exhausted. It took me a really long time to realize that, contrary to all the advice I was getting, I (personally) did NOT need more of a break from my children - instead I needed more relaxing and quality and conflict-free time with my children. So after a hard day of breaking up fights, I don't need my husband to "relieve" me by letting me go have time to myself; instead, my heart is genuinely restored by him helping me make it possible to just sit on the couch and cuddle my kids and read to them for an hour, or coloring with them, or playing a game or doing a puzzle with older kids for an hour while I talked with them about life. And it took years to figure this out, because I'd only ever heard that I needed to take care of myself, etc. in order to stay sane. I just love hearing how different people tick! :)

I'm leading toward this might be what I need. 

So thoughts now after a couple weeks:

We visited my friend's CC on Monday and I'm pretty much in love. I really think it's what I need to motivate me to teach them better through the week. We already do FLL, WWE, SOTW at home and I'm familiar with the classical model. I love how you can tailor to each kid, and that each kid is doing the same types of things, just on their level. (They were all surprised to know that their science project was the same for all three of them!) It will be more money, and I'll have to be there but it's really not taxing to sit and listen and observe classes. Easier than being home trying to teach AND take care of the littles!

We've been doing more field trips this week too and I really do love hands-on learning. I prefer to go with another group though so we would have to work on their timetable for scheduling those. Not that I couldn't go by myself but I'm too social I think for that too regularly.

Lastly, I think I was trying to do too many extra things and I don't have time for them all! And it's OK. I do like couponing, but shopping multiple times a week is just too much. And I was trying to fill my afternoons without the older kids with outside things and that was running me ragged. I think I've found the passion I used to have, at least I'm closer than I was before. :) 

• Like 3

This is so interesting to me, because I tried so many of these suggestions too, and was still exhausted. It took me a really long time to realize that, contrary to all the advice I was getting, I (personally) did NOT need more of a break from my children - instead I needed more relaxing and quality and conflict-free time with my children. So after a hard day of breaking up fights, I don't need my husband to "relieve" me by letting me go have time to myself; instead, my heart is genuinely restored by him helping me make it possible to just sit on the couch and cuddle my kids and read to them for an hour, or coloring with them, or playing a game or doing a puzzle with older kids for an hour while I talked with them about life. And it took years to figure this out, because I'd only ever heard that I needed to take care of myself, etc. in order to stay sane. I just love hearing how different people tick! :)

Thank you for chiming in with this perspective! I want to remember this the next time I've having an intense day with my children.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't read all the replies either but I just want to say that two years ago I was caring for my terminally ill mother in law and thought I would have to put my daughter in school. There just wasn't enough hours of the day for me to properly school her, take care of MIL and get all the other things done that needed to be done. Where we live the schools are awful and the thought of putting her in there just made me cry.

I found BJU Press Distance Learning. It's not cheap, but it's way cheaper than Christian School. We were only going to use it for the one year but we both loved it so much that we have continued with it this year and will also use it again next year. The DVD's are awesome. My daughter loves that she doesn't have to sit with me lol. It freed up the time for me to care for MIL and now this year I've had custody of my newborn granddaughter, which would have completely set us back if I had to spend the time teaching every subject. 

• Like 2