Menu

emancipation for FAFSA purposes?

cave canem

I was just speaking with a juvenile and family law attorney who incidentally told me that a student of any age could apply for financial aid based on only her own income after living independent of her parents' money for one year.

I was very surprised to hear this.  The attorney said that was the federal rule and that she knew of 18yos who had done it.

I looked this question up very recently and still found the rule of age 24.

Does any one else know of kids avoiding the consequences of parental wealth  in this way?

That is completely incorrect information. It is very difficult to be considered independent for financial aid purposes. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency#dependency-questions

Even if they are completely financially independent and the source is scholarship money, they cannot even file their taxes as independent and are taxed at the kiddie tax rat based on their parents.

• Like 7

That is completely incorrect information. It is very difficult to be considered independent for financial aid purposes. https://studentaid.ed.gov/sa/fafsa/filling-out/dependency#dependency-questions

Even if they are completely financially independent and the source is scholarship money, they cannot even file their taxes as independent and are taxed at the kiddie tax rat based on their parents.

Yeah because otherwise there would be a lot more people doing it I imagine!

My dad could not go to college because his father was too ridiculous about handing over income/tax information.   He was not dependent upon his parents financially at that point, but could not afford to go to college and couldn't fill out the forms on his own.

I was just speaking with a juvenile and family law attorney who incidentally told me that a student of any age could apply for financial aid based on only her own income after living independent of her parents' money for one year.

I was very surprised to hear this.  The attorney said that was the federal rule and that she knew of 18yos who had done it.

Does any one else know of kids avoiding the consequences of parental wealth  in this way?

I wonder how long ago those 18 yo's she knows did this, and how many of the details she really knows. This USED to be true (because this is what I did back when I went to college more than 30 years ago). I'm not sure when it stopped being a viable option though. 

Yeah because otherwise there would be a lot more people doing it I imagine!

My dad could not go to college because his father was too ridiculous about handing over income/tax information.   He was not dependent upon his parents financially at that point, but could not afford to go to college and couldn't fill out the forms on his own.

I had the same problem. My parents were providing none of my support, but insisted on declaring me as a dependent anyway. So no need-based aid.

Thankfully I had scholarships and worked multiple jobs to do it, but it ruined my health along the way.

I was under the impression that legal emancipation proceedings had to be initiated prior to the 18th birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah why would someone go through proceedings to be separated from their parents after 18?  After 18 they can be separated from their parents.

I assume there are provisions for when one's parents die or something like that, but still no need to become emancipated after 18.

I was kicked out at 16 which was a very happy blessing due to a terrible family situation. My father made too much money for me to get any financial aid for college, he was not parenting me but claiming me on his taxes per the divorce agreement.  I had to either wait until I was 24, pay full price, or get married. I got married at 19 so that I could go to college. So I think this lawyer is full of it. I did not want to wait until I was 24. 

• Like 1

I had similar issues with parents while I was in high school. They hadn't filed taxes in years and couldn't/wouldn't help me with financial aid papers. At the ripe old age of 17, I did 5 years of back taxes for my parents and filed the fin aid papers myself. Luckily. mom and dad received refunds those years and, despite the fines for not having filed, they came out with money in their pockets and I had my paperwork.  I ended up getting married young, though, in order to get out from underneath my parents. I wish it would have been easier to be declared emancipated from them for financial aid purposes.

I was kicked out at 16 which was a very happy blessing due to a terrible family situation. My father made too much money for me to get any financial aid for college, he was not parenting me but claiming me on his taxes per the divorce agreement.  I had to either wait until I was 24, pay full price, or get married. I got married at 19 so that I could go to college. So I think this lawyer is full of it. I did not want to wait until I was 24. 

Liking this was not enough; not for your circumstances but because marriage is what I chose as well. Waiting for time to pass to jump through the hoops was not an option.

Nothing to add (other than that I agree with the previous folks that this is erroneous information)... but since it's somewhat related...

You are considered independent from your parents prior to age 24 if you served in the military. So, for example, if you enlist at 18, serve two years in the Army, then get out at 20, you would be independent from your parents wrt financial aid. Just thought I'd mention that.

Edited by Kinsa

I was very surprised to hear this. The attorney said that was the federal rule and that she knew of 18yos who had done it.

Does any one else know of kids avoiding the consequences of parental wealth in this way?

Is it possible that in the course of living independent of their parents they were either in foster care or a ward of the court at some point after their thirteenth birthday? This would qualify them. Perhaps that is the piece of information that is being missed.

• Like 2

LOL...nope.

I was 21, married for a year, and could not force the feds via FAFSA to divorce me from my parent pocketbook despite tax documents and a marriage license.

The system is set up to try to drain parent resources first so it is stacked against young college students being financially independent.

• Like 1

I had no idea the age was 24  :crying:   Wow, just wow.  DD wants at least a master's and we have three other kids to put through college.  She will need to  use our financial info until she is 24?!?!?!??!

Those who are working on a master's or doctorate are considered "independent" for FAFSA, but your residency may still impact in-state or out-of-state residency for tuition purposes at a state university.

• Like 3

I had no idea the age was 24 :crying: Wow, just wow. DD wants at least a master's and we have three other kids to put through college. She will need to use our financial info until she is 24?!?!?!??!

I know! I will have three in college at once and at least one will need a master's, and that one may also need a PHD.

I am looking at music jobs in cities where I have relatives that will rent me a room. I can make a lot more money out of state than in so may end up living separate of Dh for a time in order to relieve some of the burden on him. I am trying to explore options that are not so many states away that we will it be able to see each other on the holidays or make it near impossible to visit my grandson. Dh has to keep his job, and his dearly mother is here so moving for my career is not an option.

I wish I were in a position to jump now because I was offered a really good music instructor job at a great CC about four hours from here. It is near one son in college, and long the amtrak so I could come home on weekends since I would have no classes or private students on Fridays. The pay was good, and especially for having been out of the workforce for long. A chance to rebuild my career from the ground up but not at poor wages. Perfect.

But, sigh, youngest ds has two semesters and one quarter of homeschooling left, college AP season, I have a commitment to teach two science courses through 4H plus mentor another year of rocket team for 2017/18. All I can do is hope something like that opens up for the following year.

• Like 1

Nothing to add (other than that I agree with the previous folks that this is erroneous information)... but since it's somewhat related...

You are considered independent from your parents prior to age 24 if you served in the military. So, for example, if you enlist at 18, serve two years in the Army, then get out at 20, you would be independent from your parents wrt financial aid. Just thought I'd mention that.

That's what I did, and why I did it.

I had no idea the age was 24 :crying: Wow, just wow. DD wants at least a master's and we have three other kids to put through college. She will need to use our financial info until she is 24?!?!?!??!

For FASFA purposes, graduate students are considered independent.

From the FASFA link above. At the beginning of the 2017–18 school year, will you be working on a master’s or doctorate program (such as an M.A., M.B.A., M.D., J.D., Ph.D., Ed.D., graduate certificate, etc.)?

I have heard some graduate schools do want parents' financial info for the school's financial aid. The ones mentioned were med and law school, but I think it is school specific. I have no first hand knowledge though as my college senior is not going to grad school.

• Like 1

I have heard some graduate schools do want parents' financial info for the school's financial aid. The ones mentioned were med and law school, but I think it is school specific. I have no first hand knowledge though as my college senior is not going to grad school.

DH ran into this at Harvard. For the purposes of the FAFSA, he was automatically independent but it was a big fight to get the FinAid office to consider him independent even though he was a grad student, 27, married, a father, and a military veteran. We had to submit a ton of documentation to prove that his parents didn't pay a dime towards his undergrad degree and hadn't claimed him as a dependent on their taxes after he turned 18. It was crazy but worth the fight as he won the appeal and got $30k/year turned from loans to grants.

• Like 3

DH ran into this at Harvard. For the purposes of the FAFSA, he was automatically independent but it was a big fight to get the FinAid office to consider him independent even though he was a grad student, 27, married, a father, and a military veteran. We had to submit a ton of documentation to prove that his parents didn't pay a dime towards his undergrad degree and hadn't claimed him as a dependent on their taxes after he turned 18. It was crazy but worth the fight as he won the appeal and got $30k/year turned from loans to grants.

Wow. That's ridiculous! 

• Like 1

I still don't get how colleges get away with this.  A parent is not OBLIGATED to help an adult pay for a college education.  Of course most of us WANT to help.  But when parents flat out can't or won't help, it's not like anyone can make them. So how can a college legally consider the parent's money, when once the child is an adult the parent has no LEGAL obligation to provide funding for that child? 

The whole thing seems like it should be illegal.  

• Like 2