Menu

because I'm impatient as heck

SparklyUnicorn

I'd assume E stands for Excellent. That's the system we used in elementary school in NYC when we were kids - E, G, S, N, U. Excellent, Good, Satisfactory, Needs improvement, Unsatisfactory.

No see I don't think this person meant excellent.  She was upset her kid was bombing tests and said he is getting Es.

I don't know what an E is.

She was upset her kid was bombing tests and said he is getting Es.

E is a compassionate pass when I was in 11/12 grade and as an undergrad. It means that student technically fail the course but not bad enough to need to repeat the course. It was for gettting 40-50% or 45-60% depending on where the range for a D grade ends.

• Like 1

No see I don't think this person meant excellent. She was upset her kid was bombing tests and said he is getting Es.

E is failing, below D, where I live. Nobody really says "F."

A = 90%+

B = 80%+

C= 70%+

D=60%+ (for many classes, this is too low to go to the next level)

E=50%+, which is failure.

• Like 2

At my daughter's school (independent, private),  E stands for "Exceeds expectations"

Grades are:

D = Does not meet expectations

N = Needs improvement

M = Meets expectations

E = Exceeds expectations

Sometimes they'll add a + to the grade (ie. M+)

All grades are accompanied by a detailed narrative.  

They only use these designations for 6th and 7th grades.  For 8th-12th they go to numbered percentage grades.

• Like 1

E was "Exceeds Expectations" in elementary school for me (scale was E, M - meets expectations, U - unsatisfactory). Then, E was failing (scale was A,B,C,D,E) in Junior high. Then, E got dropped at my first high school and they went from A,B,C,D for passing to F for failing. Then, finally, at my boarding school for 10-12 grade, a D was failing, and there was nothing lower. College did A,B,C,D,F again.

I thought standard grading was:

Passing grades:

Outstanding (O)

Exceeds Expectations (E)

Acceptable (A)

Failing grades:

Poor (P)

Dreadful (D)

Troll (T)

😅. I would have gotten straight O's, if I could have taken Potions and Transfiguration, rather than Algebra 2 and Chemistry! (Don't be fooled by my Muggle birth.)

• Like 1

When I was in elementary school E was for Excellent. We were graded on E, S (satisfactory) or U (unsat). My intermediate and high schools used ABCDF.

I recall, ages ago, hearing about some school districts changing the letter grades from ABCDF to ABCDE. I think the idea was to eliminate/reduce the negativity of "F is for Failure".

Anything under 70 is considered failing.

I had a horrible PE teacher in middle school.  She decided to give us a test--stand at the basketball free throw line and throw 10 free throws--

10 A

9 A-

8-B-

7-C-

6-D-

5 or less F

I think of this (unfortunately) every time a watch pro basketball players shot free throws and consider how many would perform at a below average or failing level in her class.

I had a horrible PE teacher in middle school.  She decided to give us a test--stand at the basketball free throw line and throw 10 free throws--

10 A

9 A-

8-B-

7-C-

6-D-

5 or less F

I think of this (unfortunately) every time a watch pro basketball players shot free throws and consider how many would perform at a below average or failing level in her class.

We had that in gym class in high school.  We had to swim and were graded on our dives.  I got an A on my front dive a B on my back dive and a C on my front flip.  It knocked me down a few spots in my class rank.

I have never heard of it as anything than Excellent.  

We are in the PNW, but I have attended or my kids attended: 

BM public Elementary, middle school, junior high, high school.

Online public

home school

Umbrella home school

Hybrid home school

Secular private

Religious private

Special needs (IEP) in traditional school

Special needs in therapeutic day school

Edited by Tap