Menu

The Spring Equinox Teachers Lounge 3-20-2017

scrapbookbuzz

HAPPY SPRING!!!

Whether you're still buried under snow or your temps indicate it might actually be summer, not Spring, I pray you all the best today and the whole week!

And welcome to the Teachers Lounge! A place where the weary and/or distracted homeschooling teachers can come relax for a bit and take a load off!

Do any of you do anything special to celebrate the first day of Spring? Here: not usually but I'm thinking I might change that up this year. Just need to figure out WHAT it is I'm going to do! LOL

What WILL your high temps be today, per the forecast? Here: in the 90s, again. I spent most of the day out in that yesterday and was reminded why I don't really like the heat! Most people who live here get "cold" when it's under 80*F. For me, anything UNDER 80 is heavenly!

Anyone contemplating a new job? Here: a favorite vendor of mine at the Farmers Market is hiring reps to work other Farmers Markets. I'm contemplating applying. I figure it will be an interesting learning experience!

Talk to me! :bigear:

• Like 3

Hi everyone!

Didn't realize today was spring, so no, not doing anything. High is/was supposed to be 43 (not sure it actually did/will get that high). We still have that snow from last week and some more from Saturday (some did melt in between and after), so, it all evens out? I really preferred that 70F with sun we had a couple of weeks ago though! (which was very unseasonable). I'll need to figure out what I'll plant this year that will grow in my raised bed on the driveway and won't be eaten by the neighborhood rabbits, but that can obviously wait until the snow is gone. 

Not planning on getting a job anytime soon. Plus, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I'm hoping to get a clue by the time the kids are in high school, so I can finish my BS before they graduate (and maybe do an MS too - it would really help if I knew what I wanted to do - maybe biostatistics?). 

Broccoli just walked in and said "Easter will be around April 16", so I told him "And today is spring", and he's like "How do you know", and I'm like "The internet told me". He didn't particularly trust me though - he says it doesn't look like spring outside. 

I don't really do 'planning', but I've been looking over a bunch of curricula lately, and ended up ordering Killgallon's Elementary Sentence Composing to do after Celery finishes W&R Fable - he's finished 12/14 chapters of that, and I feel he needs something more before moving on the W&R Narrative I. And I ordered Super Grammar, which Broccoli is reading right now - I'd intended it more for Celery to supplement Grammar Rules!, but w/e. And an irl friend mentioned Art for Kids Hub, so we've been doing some drawing with that - Pokemon and Minecraft characters (and yesterday, bacon & eggs and an ice cream cone, which Celery really didn't like). Celery's been a total grump lately - it's been tough. 

Oh, and I think I mentioned I wanted to go snowshoeing with the kids. Well, turns out that the kids don't have proper footwear for that. Their snowboots come off too easily, and their sneakers are too low/not waterproof. So, I think maybe next winter. I dunno. It'd be good for them to have some hiking boots or something, but I didn't want to run out and buy those at right away - I don't like shoe shopping for them, especially for shoes that cost more than the minimum possible. 

• Like 2

High here - 60 deg F, rain [again] and this morning as I was out driving the pre-rain winds were sending billows of white petals across the road so it was almost like a little snowstorm. I swore I would never complain about rain again, given CA's past years of drought, but this winter has me close to reconsidering that.

Nothing to celebrate. For us, tonight is AHG and therefore frozen pizza for dinner night.

New job? Well, I started doing at-home data entry last summer. That's enough for me right now. Brings in a bit of money for dd's educational stuff and keeps me busy but available while she's studying. Ranges from dull to dead boring, but pays what I need for now and is part of supporting a ministry to women coming out of difficult life situations.

• Like 3

Do any of you do anything special to celebrate the first day of Spring? Yes, we used to take the day off but now we live in the land of Spring Break. We'd go hiking. But today...see 3rd question and answer...

What WILL your high temps be today, per the forecast? Here it was 87, per the forecast: 83. :( Not RIGHT! 70s would have been okay. 

Anyone contemplating a new job? "Here: a favorite vendor of mine at the Farmers Market is hiring reps to work other Farmers Markets. I'm contemplating applying. I figure it will be an interesting learning experience!" I love the way that sounds. I had an interview today. I had one Friday too at a different place.

Apply for the market position. It will be fun and part time. You might get free produce if it is starting to get old, or maybe help donate it to those in need. 

• Like 2