What's with the ads?

#1 tiuzzol2

tiuzzol2

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:38 PM

Anyone have thoughts on Duke TIP for those on the West coast?  Is it worth having SAT scores sent to them for a 7th grader?

#2 Arcadia

Arcadia

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14323 posts

Posted 19 March 2017 - 11:58 PM

My oldest took SAT in 6th grade so I just emailed Duke TIP a scanned copy of his SAT score report in August 2016 when he is officially in 7th grade. If your child is doing SAT in 7th grade, you get to send three free reports anyway so you could just put Duke TIP's code if you know it or just email them after your child gets his score report like what I did.
My oldest isn't interested in the Duke TIP summer camps this year but my husband didn't mind paying for the talent search just in case there is a camp or an online class he wants to participate in.

Edited by Arcadia, 19 March 2017 - 11:59 PM.

• tiuzzol2 likes this

#3 Mike in SA

Mike in SA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:41 AM

West Coast?  Probably very little benefit to do TIP.  You could choose NUMATS and CTD in addition to CTY - they're closer, and serve essentially the same purpose.  CTD actually has a decent slate of online courses available.

TIP courses in the summer are generally good, but they're all expensive and in the South and East.

• tiuzzol2 likes this

#4 tiuzzol2

tiuzzol2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 05:50 PM

Someone had said that the Duke TIP courses were free..... Seemed a bit surprising.....  Anyone know why she might've thought that?

#5 Mike in SA

Mike in SA

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1041 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:54 PM

Someone had said that the Duke TIP courses were free..... Seemed a bit surprising.....  Anyone know why she might've thought that?

A student scoring a perfect 800 in 7th grade may attend one course free (there could be additional requirements).  Maybe that was what she meant?

#6 Lucy the Valiant

Lucy the Valiant

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1601 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:37 PM

Side note - how are their online courses? Comparable to PAHomeschoolers, that sort of thing? They seem expensive?

#7 tiuzzol2

tiuzzol2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:09 PM

A student scoring a perfect 800 in 7th grade may attend one course free (there could be additional requirements).  Maybe that was what she meant?

I see!  That might be what she meant.