Menu

which great course would you use??

We are currently doing Notgrass Government...and the kids are finding it pretty dry and boring...and I am not sure if they are remembering much so I thought I would use a great course to end the year...as a way to recap what they learned...thanks.

I contacted Great Courses for suggestions...here is what they suggested...which one(s) would you use?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We have many courses that cover US government from one angle or another, depending on what you are looking for.

• Cycles of American Political Thought would be a great choice if you are looking for a history of politics in the United States.
  • History of the United States, 2nd Edition would be a good choice if you want a very in depth history on the United States.
  • American Mind is a good choice if you are more generally interested in the way Americans think.
  • American Ideals: Founding a “Republic of Virtue†is a good choice if you want to learn more about the founding of the country.
  • Conservative Tradition is a good choice if you are specifically interested in changes in the Conservative movement in the United States throughout history.
  • History of the Supreme Court is a good choice if you are specifically interested in the development of the Supreme Court.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Nick Glover | Customer Service Representative | The Great Courses | 4840 Westfields Blvd, Ste 500, Chantilly VA 20151 | 1-800-832-2412 | www.thegreatcourses.com

We are currently doing Notgrass Government...and the kids are finding it pretty dry and boring...and I am not sure if they are remembering much so I thought I would use a great course to end the year...as a way to recap what they learned...thanks.

I contacted Great Courses for suggestions...here is what they suggested...which one(s) would you use?

Hello,

Thank you for contacting us. We have many courses that cover US government from one angle or another, depending on what you are looking for.

• Cycles of American Political Thought would be a great choice if you are looking for a history of politics in the United States.
  • History of the United States, 2nd Edition would be a good choice if you want a very in depth history on the United States.
  • American Mind is a good choice if you are more generally interested in the way Americans think.
  • American Ideals: Founding a “Republic of Virtue†is a good choice if you want to learn more about the founding of the country.
  • Conservative Tradition is a good choice if you are specifically interested in changes in the Conservative movement in the United States throughout history.
  • History of the Supreme Court is a good choice if you are specifically interested in the development of the Supreme Court.

Please let me know if I can help you with anything else.

Nick Glover | Customer Service Representative | The Great Courses | 4840 Westfields Blvd, Ste 500, Chantilly VA 20151 | 1-800-832-2412 | www.thegreatcourses.com

I would NOT do this one: 

for just a government credit. It's a LOT. Maybe if you also needed a US History credit, but it's a ton of videos you'd pay for and not need unless you're doing it for sheer enjoyment. I'm not familiar with the others. 

We have watched and liked Crash Course US Government videos (free on You tube) though I am not sure how well they work as a High school credit. Maybe take a look, if you haven't already to see if it combines well with Notgrass. Someone else may know more.

Regards, Ann.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I haven't used or seen Crash Course, although I have heard of them.  I am not looking for anything to make a HS credit...but just to sort of add to the Notgrass with the hopes that a video might help them remember what we have read...I will check out crash course...thanks.

For government, this sounds cheesy but look up some of the School House Rock cartoons on YouTube. I memorized most of the preamble thanks to one of those. :) How a bill becomes a law is always good too no matter the age. I bought the whole set for my kids!

thank you for this.  Do you know is there anyway to get the 10 week courses videos quicker than once a week?  I don't want to use them as a course...but rather as a review...

wonder what the best order would be for these  wish I knew about these last year at this time.  They do look good. thanks.

I found the Hillsdale videos really boring. I didn't specifically check the link posted, but have tried to watch several different ones of their series in the past. I couldn't assign them if I had trouble focusing when I previewed them. Your mileage may vary.

The Crash Course videos do go quickly, but as we use them for review (or preview), none of us mind. We just re-watch if we want to see/hear again.

thank you for this. Do you know is there anyway to get the 10 week courses videos quicker than once a week? I don't want to use them as a course...but rather as a review...

wonder what the best order would be for these wish I knew about these last year at this time. They do look good. thanks.

No, they come weekly. But if you want something for next year, sign for it now and it will start coming to your email immediately. Then, you'll have it and can use it for more than 1x/wk.

You can even sign up for more than one at a time ( I've signed up for 2 different ones at the same time and it worked), so you'll have the ones you want on deck, ready to use at your discretion.

[i found the Hillsdale videos really boring. I didn't specifically check the link posted, but have tried to watch several different ones of their series in the past. I couldn't assign them if I had trouble focusing when I previewed them. Your mileage may vary.]

I've watched snippets here and there and was not bored. I also read their Imprimis mail-out, which is always interesting.

I've just been gathering the courses over the years for when mine were in high school ( which has now come). They're free and of quality instructors and reputation.

Some are probably more engaging than others, like the Great Courses. Though, IMO, there's no economics course which will be interesting.

Edited by historymatters

Regarding our experience with crash course, the lectures are quick but DD14 liked that and cannot really sit through longer, slower lectures. She also had a US government textbook (something we picked up at the local library book sale) that she would use to follow up on the courses and read further. This was in 8th grade and it was not really something I had prepared as a course so I was just happy seeing her do something constructive with her time. :-) . Of course, if I include that in her schedule and plan out a complete course she will decide to hate it.  :mellow:  Regards, Ann. 

I've watched snippets here and there and was not bored. I also read their Imprimis mail-out, which is always interesting.

I've just been gathering the courses over the years for when mine were in high school ( which has now come). They're free and of quality instructors and reputation.

Some are probably more engaging than others, like the Great Courses. Though, IMO, there's no economics course which will be interesting.

I read Imprimis and usually find it interesting. I was hoping to use them for my high schoolers, but the Federalist Papers & Economics 101 were both too boring for me. I haven't tried any of the others because I can't bring myself to watch them. Perhaps Shakespeare or the Great Books would be better.

(Crash Course Econ is pretty interesting.)