What's with the ads?

#1 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 230 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

OK, this may seem a weird question but what would you recommend as summer topics of study & explorarion for a 2nd (rising 3rd) grader girl? I'm trying to amass a list of ideas that'll engage her for (an unprecedented) 12 weeks of vacation. I've got a few weeks of travel lined up along with 4-5 1/2 day camps in the works. However, we've got a glorious amount of time at home I'd like to fully utilize. She's thristy for knowledge & if doesn't get it, can be quite a handful.

We're a trilingual family (English, Spanish, French) & I plan to boost her literacy in the 2 latter languages. Swimming & tennis are the summer sports, along w/ plenty of outdoor exploration & camping (plus beach). We will exploit local DC amenities (i.e., museums, day trips). She's currently interested in robotics & I've got that covered along w/ electronics & coding. She made the OWI robotic arm last month & wants a 'more complex' project so additional ideas are welcome. She's crazy about science & we have a few kits lined up along w/ science experiment books. Woodworking's also 'daddy's summer project'. She's a Girl Scout as well. She started piano this year too, so any summer bridge practice books are welcome.

I'd like ideas for more 'meaty' science topics--say elements/periodic table, petri dish stuff, & whatnot. We'll work on typical math topics but I also need enrichment ideas. We read aloud A LOT so I've got that covered but am interested in helping her develop writing skills--how to better organize & elaborate writings. What other topics of interest captivate(d) your precocious child at this age (7 yr old)? I know it's personal but I'm looking for ideas that I normally wouldn't consider. I believe she still needs exposure to new topics but could also benefit from depth of others--if that makes sense. In writing tnis, it may sound like I've got enough in mind & planned but....she's active & curious &.....a bit of preparation will ensure that 12 weeks of mental & physical engagement will create a positive & memorable summer for all, if you catch my drift. What have I possibly overlooked? What's your input?

Edited by Earthmerlin, 18 March 2017 - 08:31 PM.