What's with the ads?

#1 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:26 PM

OK, this may seem a weird question but what would you recommend as summer topics of study & explorarion for a 2nd (rising 3rd) grader girl? I'm trying to amass a list of ideas that'll engage her for (an unprecedented) 12 weeks of vacation. I've got a few weeks of travel lined up along with 4-5 1/2 day camps in the works. However, we've got a glorious amount of time at home I'd like to fully utilize. She's thristy for knowledge & if doesn't get it, can be quite a handful.

We're a trilingual family (English, Spanish, French) & I plan to boost her literacy in the 2 latter languages. Swimming & tennis are the summer sports, along w/ plenty of outdoor exploration & camping (plus beach). We will exploit local DC amenities (i.e., museums, day trips). She's currently interested in robotics & I've got that covered along w/ electronics & coding. She made the OWI robotic arm last month & wants a 'more complex' project so additional ideas are welcome. She's crazy about science & we have a few kits lined up along w/ science experiment books. Woodworking's also 'daddy's summer project'. She's a Girl Scout as well. She started piano this year too, so any summer bridge practice books are welcome.

I'd like ideas for more 'meaty' science topics--say elements/periodic table, petri dish stuff, & whatnot. We'll work on typical math topics but I also need enrichment ideas. We read aloud A LOT so I've got that covered but am interested in helping her develop writing skills--how to better organize & elaborate writings. What other topics of interest captivate(d) your precocious child at this age (7 yr old)? I know it's personal but I'm looking for ideas that I normally wouldn't consider. I believe she still needs exposure to new topics but could also benefit from depth of others--if that makes sense. In writing tnis, it may sound like I've got enough in mind & planned but....she's active & curious &.....a bit of preparation will ensure that 12 weeks of mental & physical engagement will create a positive & memorable summer for all, if you catch my drift. What have I possibly overlooked? What's your input?

Edited by Earthmerlin, 18 March 2017 - 08:31 PM.

#2 dmmetler

dmmetler

Chasing snakes!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13693 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 09:46 AM

Summer is a good time for almost any nature/environmental ed topic, so I'd suggest that. Both physical and life sciences here-marine biology, especially if you're going to the beach, meteorology, geology (especially if you live in an area where there are old mines/road cuts that are easy to visit and see layers)-think hands on stuff that can be done in the field now. I tend to leave elements, Petri dishes,and the like for winter.

Look at what camps are available locally-what can be used as a springboard for the rest of the summer? Or Junior Ranger programs at state parks/national parks.
  • rushhush08 likes this

#3 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:18 AM

Summer is a good time for almost any nature/environmental ed topic, so I'd suggest that. Both physical and life sciences here-marine biology, especially if you're going to the beach, meteorology, geology (especially if you live in an area where there are old mines/road cuts that are easy to visit and see layers)-think hands on stuff that can be done in the field now. I tend to leave elements, Petri dishes,and the like for winter.

Look at what camps are available locally-what can be used as a springboard for the rest of the summer? Or Junior Ranger programs at state parks/national parks.

Thanks for these ideas! Yes, summer is a great time for outdoorsy stuff, agreed. I like your geology & (especially) marine biology suggestions. Any primer titles to accompany these field topics? It's also synchronistic you mentioned the Jr Ranger program as I just printed off some badge & certificate brochures she can complete this summer. We're still working on finalizing the 1/2 day camps & will definitely extend what she learns in them. Lots of read alouds too!

Any ideas for robotics projects &/or writing development?

Edited by Earthmerlin, 29 March 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#4 Heigh Ho

Heigh Ho

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11217 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:00 AM

Magic is fun at this age.
Drama is an area to explore.
She could write for puppets and put on a show for younger children.
robotics...design a holiday display using existing robot

#5 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:25 PM

Magic is fun at this age.
Drama is an area to explore.
She could write for puppets and put on a show for younger children.
robotics...design a holiday display using existing robot

I've been chewing on your suggestions & I think they would definitely enhance the summer. I'm not a magician by any means so that's unchartered territory--where to start? Does one learn magic through books or DVDs or what?

I DO like the puppet theater idea. She's never been interested in actual puppets but could use her dolls, animal figurines, or Beanie Boos (or whatever they're called)--lord knows we've got boatloads of those lying about. I could entice her to put them to use by writing scripts & performing them for the neighborhood kids. That'd address some of the creative writing I'd like to develop. Hubby can also help her build a wooden theater too. Ah yes!, me likes!

LOL, let's hope most (if not all) of these ambitious plans come to fruition!

Edited by Earthmerlin, 07 April 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#6 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 05:34 PM

Also, I just got her a camcorder & would like ideas & resources on how to best utilize this w/ a 7 yr old. We've got a film camera too & while I''m not skilled in photography & videography, my daughter shows a keen interest in such things. So any practical ideas (including print & online ones) are welcome. Classes on such things don't begin until later in childhood, so that's not a possiblity now. I'm looking for ideas that toy around w/ these instruments but that also teach a few things (in a chill & exploratory way).

Edited by Earthmerlin, 07 April 2017 - 05:37 PM.

#7 Jackie

Jackie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2256 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:30 PM

You mentioned a summer bridge for piano - take a look at Hoffman Piano Academy. It's free and online, and DD has been having fun with it in addition to her lessons.

Map reading and map making can be a fun add-on, especially if hiking.

For things like magic, I turn to YouTube.

I turned DD loose on diy.org last winter and she took off on earning badges.

#8 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 07:20 PM

You mentioned a summer bridge for piano - take a look at Hoffman Piano Academy. It's free and online, and DD has been having fun with it in addition to her lessons.

Map reading and map making can be a fun add-on, especially if hiking.

For things like magic, I turn to YouTube.

I turned DD loose on diy.org last winter and she took off on earning badges.

i

Super cool suggestions! Earning badges w/ DIY? Do you mean Girl Scout badges? I didn't know that was possible, hmmm.🤔

#9 Jackie

Jackie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2256 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 08:49 PM

Yes, kind of like Girl Scout badges. They have some pretty interesting stuff. The badges are virtual, but you can actually buy physical patches for the kid if that's a motivator. https://diy.org/
  • Earthmerlin likes this

#10 Earthmerlin

Earthmerlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 272 posts

Posted 08 April 2017 - 06:46 AM

Yes, kind of like Girl Scout badges. They have some pretty interesting stuff. The badges are virtual, but you can actually buy physical patches for the kid if that's a motivator. https://diy.org/

Thanks again for this lead. I just checked put the site & it looks super cool! I'm sure my girl will love to get involved in this. I wish we had such things when I was a kid.